My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by heli_madken »

Successfully got the engine out today, I must admit that I was a little nervous with it being such a big lump but actually it went very easily.

I made a very crude cradle on a couple of dolly's and the engine literally just stayed in position when I took the lower rear mounting bolt out and simply rolled out to the side -
20211016_122303.jpg
20211016_132512.jpg
The carbs came off relatively easily as well, I must admit its a pleasure to be working on a bike that doesn't have almost every nut and bolt seized solid with rust.

So after a good external clean I could investigate the source of the petrol leak. First off I filled them with petrol to determine exactly which carb was leaking, turned out to be number 4.

So off with the the float bowls -
20211016_142856.jpg
MMmm doesn't look like much wrong, I wonder if the drain screw is loose, DAMN!!!! how stupid am I!. Obviously David or someone had drained the carbs ready for storage but just didn't tighten number 4. I cant believe it. I did check others but just assumed the worst that there was a stuck float or other problem.

Still the carburetors at least look in good order, I have put them away now ready for a full rebuild later.

Going to tackle the rear suspension and swing arm next
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Happy with progress today, just got the front forks assembly to remove tomorrow then I can get a good look at the frame, I am happy at least that the damage is restricted only to the rear most section -
20211016_182050.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Spent some time bashing the hell out of the rear frame, this is where I have it -
20211018_105153.jpg
Using the mudguard as the only reference I have It still looks out a little but it is difficult to tell if the cutout in the mudguard is supposed to be exactly central as the rear frame extensions now look straight. Still its a damn site better than what it was -
20211013_153859.jpg
Next up is to start cleaning and prepping everything for paint, I am going to start with the frame and all gloss black parts. There are quite a few of these so it will take some time.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just make sure you don't include the bars, triple clamp, calipers, master cylinders, fork lowers in the 'gloss' category!

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Last year I finally picked up one of these laser levels after wanting one for a long time, but just not quite being able to justify the purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW088K-Se ... 009O94W3E/

I would suggest snagging one as it would make it very easy to be 100% confident about the alignment of your rear subframe. Line up the vertical plane with the backbone of your frame, and then it's dead easy to measure from those rear rails to the frame centerline.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Yep sure Dave couldnt agree more, they are in a different 'pile' dont worry. Does this mean I can go full gloss on the engine then :D

Seriously does anyone have recommendations on the satin black for the engine please?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

PJ-1 Satin Engine Black.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:35 am
PJ-1 Satin Engine Black.

Dave
You can get the full line of PJ-1 Fast Black paints at Summit Racing, also the Glossy black is a good match for our CBX frames.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Dave and Jeff, thats great.

I will do the frame and other Satin parts in 2K acrylic as it is a really tough durable finish

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone, Thought it was about time for an update. The last few weeks have been mostly 'grunt' work stripping, cleaning, prepping, polishing etc.

I have painted the frame and a whole plethora of other black parts such as the battery box, fairing mount etc. The frame was probably one of the more challenging frames I have painted especially around the head stock so I used an airbrush to get paint into all the nooks and crannies. Each part was stripped and any areas showing any sign of corrosion treated with a rust converter -
20211207_160641.jpg
Also painted some satin black parts such as the handlebars grab handles etc.

I tried polishing the swing arm but there where a few bad marks in it and the welds looked awful so I elected to paint it instead. After some thought I went for the body colour which will be Candy Glory Red (no not trying to be a twin shock wannabee I just love the colour :-) ) -
20211207_160537.jpg
I have gone for a Hagon shock rather than trying to restore the original.

Engine was given a thorough clean a good go over with scotchbrite pads then a few coats of PJ1 black which I am really pleased with -
20211207_160404.jpg
I spent a week polishing the cam cover (not complaining I actually enjoyed it), I still have a little way to go as the cover was quite badly corroded in parts but I will get there -
20211111_144930.jpg
Wasn't happy with the original alternator, both the clutch and pick up plates where quite marked so I have gone for a Tims CBX conversion. Also purchased a Dynatek iginition and new coils from Tims.

The rear wheel rim was scored in places so I had no choice but to flat out the brushed look to remove them. Stripped off all the paint and applied etch primer and paint.
20211207_161217.jpg
At the moment the bare metal parts are polished, I know this isn't to everyone's taste but I will wait until they are mounted on the bike until I decide what to do. All bearings and seals have been replaced.

Next up is to strip down and deal with the front wheel.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

There's a lot of beautiful work in this latest update! Body color for the swingarm is an interesting choice - I look forward to seeing it all together. I'm also looking forward to seeing a Pro-Link done in CGR!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Great project, you are doing a beautiful job.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I love the polished wheel. Personally I think they should
have come that way.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

The wheels I think are one of those that you either love or hate the polished look. I think I am going to leave them polished, besides its much easier to disguise damage like this on the front wheel -
20211208_165024.jpg
Besides I am obviously not shooting for originality with this bike, nothing outlandish being done but certainly not stock.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I agree with Hondaman.
The polished lip looks great and is a nice bit of background bling.

Return to “Project Threads”