Calculations to be made...

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Calculations to be made...

Post by CBX1000FAN »

I bought my 1979 CBX as a "modified" bike. I am now nearly done with correcting a lot of the stuff done to the bike. However, it will remain modified: It has a 180/55/17 rear wheel compared to the OEM 120/90/18. That has a reduction of speed, measured at 60 mph of 6.4%, meaning the rpm will be higher at true 60 mph.

The second factor is the gearing: It has a 18T front sprocket and a 44T rear compared to the OEM 18T / 42T - this means a reduction of speed by 4.5% or in other words, the rpm will be 4.5% higher...

Combine the two issues and the problem is clear - the rpm at 60 mph is much higher then stock!

I have one simple option to rectify this - change the rear sprocket. The bike has a 530 chain with a master link, so no issue to shorten the chain. However I have to figure out the rear sprocket teeth.... Keeping the 18T up front it seems I have to go with either a 41T or a 40T. The 40T seems to be nearest to the stock gearing.... Can someone help me check my calculations please??

Regards!!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Calculations to be made...

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Quick SWAG on my part says that the 41 tooth would be closest -- just slightly higher than stock rpm at 60mph with the 180 tire. 40 tooth just a tad lower rpm than stock. Let's see what others say.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

Thanks Larry - I also have it so. The 41T is 25% more expensive than the 40T!! :-) Regards!

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

AH! For the difference, that 25% might decide.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

You say it's a modified bike. If you have, say, a big bore kit or other engine performance enhancements,
go with the 40T. If the motor is stock and acceleration is more important than cruising speed, 41T.
My 2 cents.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

Yep, I think the 41T will be the best option. Thanks all.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Why not just use the stock 42T and call it a day?

Dave

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

I do not have a 42T... I have to buy a sprocket and it will be wise to go 41T as the 180 rear tire needs 6.4% correction to be OEM. A 41T will bring it to about 2.2% over OEM RPM @ 60 mph....

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

I drove the 220 km today to buy the sprocket... At first the salesman said they do not have a sprocket that will match, but I saw he was looking at Honda sprockets, so I said try Kawasaki. And for sure he had one - a 41T!! It is now fitted and the chain shortened. Will be testing when the weather clears up. Regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”