My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone,

Well after almost 3 months and what seemed like an eternity waiting, my new project has arrived from the US -
20210118_133726.jpg
I was like a big kid waiting and couldnt wait to get my hands on the bike. Boy am I chuffed, cosmetically the bike has suffered but overall I can see that somebody has looked after this bike well and its only deteriorated during its obviously long storage period. That being said compared to buying a 1982 bike thats spent its life here in the UK there is absolutely no surface or fastener rust anywhere, the bike is a dream to work on in this respect.

The bike is from Michigan, its had one owner from 1989 through to last August on the title. On the rear is an ICOA sticker so I think the previous owner may have been on this forum -
20210119_155146.jpg
As a further clue this sticker is on the screen, if you are still here let me know -
20210118_112745.jpg
So my plan was to give the bike a good check over and assess whether I could go for a start. I didnt intend running the engine for anything more than a minute as I will be doing a complete strip down bare frame restoration I just wanted to find out if the bike had been taken off the road for a worrying reason so I can prepare myself for the future rebuild.

First signs where not good, fuel tank is full of crud and rusty but nothing that wont fix with some effort -
20210118_110024.jpg
The air filter housing has been a nice comfy home for some critters, how did the bottle top get in there! Cleaned up and new filter fitted -
20210118_145801.jpg
I used an inspection camera to look at the bores. Initially my heart sank looking at the piston crowns especially as the plugs where black and oily. But if you look carefully the bores look great, I think the black crud is actually dried up oil -
20210118_153721.jpg
I put a spanner on the crank and she turned over very nicely.

I had a new battery ready so fitted it, held my breath and turned the key. Amazingly everything worked (except the extra horns) so I took the plunge and hit the starter (plugs removed and kill switch off) and the motor spun encouragingly.

Next up was to drop the oil, no nasty fillings and although black the oil smells fine. New filter fitted and oil added.

Now carburetors, I wasn't able to remove any float bowls as the screws are already quite chewed. It is obvious that some work has been done on this bike as I can see many things are not as they where when the bike left the factory. Removing the carb tops showed the insides to look pristine (I wonder if the carbs have been rebuilt at some point before being taken off the road) Float bowls where empty and drain screws again pristine -
20210118_162802.jpg
So I removed the two main fuel lines and poured in some Berryman carb cleaner wherever I could.

Last thing was to check that I had a spark on all 6 plugs which I did so went ahead and fitted new plugs.

I used a syringe to pour some fresh fuel direct into the fuel feeds to the float bowls, replaced some fuel lines which where a bit perished and used a fuel tank off another bike as a temporary measure.

So the moment had come and I hit the starter. Within a few seconds she sprang into life and although only running on 5 cylinders sounded wonderful. I ran as I intended only for around a minute but in any case I noticed fuel coming from the right side overflow and could tell No.6 wasnt firing so shut down. Its obvious to me that the float is stuck and flooding the cylinder, I could possibly give it a few bangs to see if it would free but I have achieved what I set out to do and I can approach the restoration with confidence now so dont intend running it again.

I am absolutely chuffed and cant wait to get stuck in, only problem is I am about to move house and my new home needs a lot of work so it will be some time before I can get started :(

Some advice, the bike has done 40,000 miles, I will be replacing primary and cam chains and checking out bores, bearings etc. For this mileage is there anything that is a definite must replace?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Ken. Thanks for the excellent intro.
If the maintenance in the bike has been kept up the 40k should not be problematic.
Sounds like you are covering the basics and know what you are doing.
Maybe have a look at the alternator/charging system as well.
Looks like Supertrapp exhaust. Like the sound of them.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Steve, the bike will get a thorough work over. Yes it is a Supertrapp exhaust and does sound nice. It has received a bash at the rear of the right hand silencer, I am hoping that I can remove the discs to give me enough depth to get a dolly in and smooth the dents out. Otherwise a good polish will have them looking great.

I was pleased to find a toolkit and air gauge (meant to mention both front and rear setups are still holding air) with the bike, but is the toolkit an original one? it looks like it is either new or never been used -
20210120_111957.jpg
Boy am I going to enjoy this I cant wait
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Congrats! And welcome. Yes, the tool kit and air gauge are original.

To your plan for the bike/engine: Your biggest pain will be cleaning the tank. hands down. With the looks of that scale, do not be surprised if the tank is full of pinholes. Resolving that should be one of the first things you do. Complete carb rebuild would be next. If you are not intimately familiar with this job, it's best farmed out or you will have them off two or three times to get close to right.

I would not touch the interior of the engine, except for normal turn-up stuff. At most, pull the head and do a valve job. Don't figure on replacing a lot of expensive, hard to find stuff. The engine will be fine. Service the alternator, check all electrical components, work on getting the chassis up to snuff. This would include complete brake rebuild, fork rebuild, new stem bearings, service the swingarm, and REPLACE the rear shock. Don't even try to resurrect the original.

Buying a replacement tank and rear shock and farming out the carb rebuild is a better place to put your money than tearing the engine completely down.

Search here somewhere - I posted a list of things you should do to a CBX that's sat a long time.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I don't think so, but could this be one of Dave Ditner's bikes?

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Yes it is! I wasn't sure about site etiquette in terms of actually naming the owner.

I never thought to google the name, so from what I have read he was quite a character and I am so sad to hear of his loss. No wonder the bikes engine is in good shape. I am beginning to wonder if I should just do the usual servicing on the engine, complete the cosmetic restoration and run the bike as is for now. What do people think knowing the previous owner and his breadth of knowledge that's on another planet compared to mine?

I guess I have got very lucky with this one but very saddened that its resulting from such a loss, I promise to make this bike absolutely flawless in his honour.

the doc
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by the doc »

Hi Ken,

Congrats on your new bike. As has been said on this forum, if you're new to the CBX sometimes it's best to seek help from those who REALLY know what they are doing. That way you'll get the job done, you know it'll be right and anyone working on your bike or parts will be an enthusiast themselves.

I see you're based in the UK as I am. I suggest you join the CBX Club www.ukcbxclub.com. It's full full of people and services dedicated to keeping the CBX on the road. Everything from expert carb re builders, technical know how etc.

Enjoy your bike mate. They really are something special.

Michael.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:14 am
I don't think so, but could this be one of Dave Ditner's bikes?

Dave
Just reading this, nice catch Dave I was thinking the same thing.

I may have a couple pictures of Dave Ditner’s old bike laying around in my CBX albums. If this was Dave’s 82 daily driver, then there is also a picture of him and his new bride at the time, riding home from their wedding on it in the club’s magazine, the CBXPress.

Dave was a good man and a great friend to many here over the years, you’re getting a slice of CBX history by owning that bike, good luck with your new ownership!

Jeff

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Jeff any pictures of the bike would be greatly appreciated, is there anywhere I can get back copies CBXpress?

I did manage to get No.6 float bowl off to assess condition, a little bit of dirt but otherwise in excellent condition, Dave or somebody must have drained the float bowls before the lay up -
20210120_141611.jpg
20210120_141756.jpg
So it turns out that it isnt No.6 that has the stuck float valve its No.5 so I need to look further into why No.6 wasn't firing. I will try to come up with a plan to free up the stuck float. Ultimately it doesn't matter as they will be coming off but I would like to hear the bike run again.

I have thought of a blast of air but anyone have any reservations on this?

I dont think I have read anywhere of CBX floats becoming porous or splitting?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Have a look at this method of on-bike carb clean.
potentially just a quick fix until they are removed for a total refurb.
I see you still have the tabs on the pilot/idle mixture screws. It mentions in the article how to deal with them.
https://motorcycleproject.com/text/cbxcarbs_short.html

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Welcome. I'll be watching with interest.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Dave and Susan’s wedding day on your 82 CBX!
CFECFCC5-77FA-4CAA-96B3-7A11D2BF7F0D.jpeg

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Great find, Jeff.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That's the pic Jeff! Thanks for finding and posting it!

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thank you so much Jeff, its amazing that I have it all the way over here in the UK!

Return to “Project Threads”