2013 AMA Vintage Days Mid Ohio Pictures and Stories

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 2013 AMA Vintage Days Mid Ohio Pictures and Stories

Post by daves79x »

Guys - As announced, the Honda Pavilion was just a place to hang out whenever you wanted to throughout the weekend. No one was planning on being there the entire time to greet folks - someone different (from every other year) might have volunteered to do that? We spent much of Saturday AM holding down tents at Wes Anderson's swap space, or hanging out in TIMS paddock out of the rain. Once the rain quit Sat PM, we took advantage and walked the grounds. Never saw JR or the bikes and walked the entire place. If lunches are a make-or-break deal - now's the time for someone to step up and do it next year. We'd have lost our shirts this year with the poor turnout. There were drinks in the cooler there for anyone to have. We need to trade cell #s so you guys can just call and see where folks are. The weather, the outrageous entrance fee and the AMA continuing the screw things up at Mid-Ohio has changed the dynamics of Vintage Days dramatically. We'll see what next year brings.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have to second Dave here. We all missed the lunches and the CBX congregation, but..... Nobody ever bothers to commit in advance to help or be there except for the same few people. And asking them to hang out at the Pavillon for the whole event and wait on and for the others is asking a little much. If we can get it organized that we will get a decent (not necessarily exact) headcount for lunch and if some more would volunteer to hold down the fort, so everybody can get some time to enjoy the other activities we are all coming down there for, we can probably run a lunch program again.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Dave and Mike are correct. In the past, we had folks manning the Pavillion the whole weekend, but that meant they couldn't enjoy the event themselves. The lack of volunteers is what killed it. A few folks, especially Dave and Diane, put in a lot of time, and dollars, for little return.

Now, if some of you would like to organize something for next year, we could pitch in and help. :D
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I understand. No problem... I should of called dave up but actually I thought maybe he stayed home because of the screwed up weather. I don't blame anybody not wanting to sit there all day and miss the whole event. There sure was allot of things to look at there.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

For what it's worth: I am upset that I missed you and some of the others. It would have been great to shake hands and put a face to the name! I was there for four days.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I missed a few pictures, which I think are worth looking at:

A nice poster for the H2 owners and fans. Could be helpful if you are working on an engine.

A little bike for the one who already has everything

Family ride

.and who would have thought...even a Virago/XV920 can be changed into something nice to look at...

...that's all folks!! Somebody else???

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

A few more pics from the weekend for your enjoyment.

Jeff

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks for the addition, Jeff!

Did you recognize that the first two pics, the one of the black Z1R turbo and the little GT185 were taken with my camera? :D :D Just curious were you got them from? Nice to see that the pics making their way on the net. 8)

I have seen the Kawasaki Triple in the blue 72 scheme before, and I always wonder: Is it really a 500 MachIII with a 750cc motor or did the owner/builder just screw up and put the wrong emblem on his Mach IV? :think:
Last edited by EMS on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

Thanks for posting the pictures, folks! Looks like the rain made things intersting, to say the least. I sure hope to make it to this event -- one of these years!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Z Grand wrote: . I sure hope to make it to this event -- one of these years!

Vern, you better get your act together! Who knows how much longer it will take the AMA to ruin this event for good. :doh:
You could hook up with Bill Brint! Maybe you two can car-pool... 8) :lol:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:Thanks for the addition, Jeff!

Did you recognize that the first two pics, the one of the black Z1R turbo and the little GT185 were taken with my camera? :D :D Just curious were you got them from? Nice to see that the pics making their way on the net. 8):
They came from your post here on the first page, I must have mixed them up with mine in Photobucket.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:

Did you recognize that the first two pics, the one of the black Z1R turbo and the little GT185 were taken with my camera? :D :D Just curious were you got them from? Nice to see that the pics making their way on the net. 8):
They came from your post here on the first page, I must have mixed them up with mine in Photobucket.

Aw, too bad! I thought maybe somebody shared them someplace else!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

In my previous post, it was not my intent to make any one feel bad, I just wanted to point out that for years, a few folks have done most of the work, and missed out on seeing much of the festivities. Now it's their turn to cruise the swap meet, walk the infield, etc. :clap:

I spent quite a bit of time at the pavillion, usually when it was raining, and met a few new folks. Sorry I missed tevan and Jeff. Where were you guys hiding?

There were supposedly many rooms booked at the Motel 6 for the ZRX crowd, but there wasn't a single ZRX there. In fact, I only saw one all weekend. On Saturday evening, at least half the motel was vacant.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:
Jeff Bennetts wrote:

Aw, too bad! I thought maybe somebody shared them someplace else!
I'm working on it, the guys on the other forums I belong to, like us, love the vintage stuff. :dance:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:
There were supposedly many rooms booked at the Motel 6 for the ZRX crowd, but there wasn't a single ZRX there. In fact, I only saw one all weekend. On Saturday evening, at least half the motel was vacant.
Rick, most of them just went for a day and canceled their Saturday night room reservation, there are a lot of the ZRX guys that live somewhat local.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”