Newburg, NY Rally

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Newburg, NY Rally

Post by Rick Pope »

Listen up folks,

Jan and Larry Zimmer are working behind the scenes to put together a rally in Nweburg NY in June. It's the same weekend as Rhinebeck and Americade, easy ride to either, or both.

I think Jan posted it on this site, but it's not here under rally chat, so I decided to post here as well.

As an added bonus, Dennis McCarntey will be running a bike show for us. Here's what he has to say:

Quote:

I will re-appear at the June event in Newburgh. Yes CBXMAN lives! I look
forward to seeing the members I haven't seen over the last few years. Mickey
Cohen and I will be doing the advance work on ride planning with the
objective of 150-225 mile ride into the Catskills and some thinly populated
areas of that part of NY on Saturday.

I've also agreed to judge the bike show and am looking for 3 people to work
with me. One to partner with me and the other two to form a second judging
team as needed based on the turnout. Unless it rains cleanliness and
preparation will be a very high subject of our scrutiny. Correct parts will
keep you in the stock classes. The old methodology will be applied with
plaques for the following classes:

a.. Stock Early Model
b.. Modified Early Model( 8 mods or more puts you in this class)
c.. Custom Early Model (Judges will decide here but you have a pretty good
idea who are)
d.. Stock Late Model
e.. Modified Late Model (8 or more mods)
f.. Custom Late Model
g.. Best in Show
h.. Peoples Choice
Judging is a lot of fun and if you haven't done it before I can show you how
very easily. Let me know off line at my email below if you want to help.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Newburg, NY Rally

Post by EMS »

Awesome! Good to hear that Dennis is "back in the fold"! That may turn into a really nice event.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Looks like things are coming together nicely.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

FYI for all who plan to attend the Newburgh rally:
The Rhinebeck Event (http://www.rhinebecknationalmeet.com/) is a 2-days affair; Friday and Saturday 8th & 9th. Rhinebeck is about 35 miles from Newburgh.
Americade is a week-long event (as you know). BUT, note, that the LAST day is Saturday, 9th. Also, Lake George, Americade location, is about 150 miles from Newburgh. Virtually a day of riding just to do the round trip.
I just thought I would mention these details so anyone attending can tentatively plan ahead which things they might want to do in the overall rally schedule of events.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Well halfway through, and the weather in Newburgh is cooperating mostly. Today we had the bike show, we will post details of who won what... Enclosed is the picture of the most cylinders ever lined up in front of the museum. 9 attendees bikes plus 2 in the museum is a nice number of CBX's at one event. Some of the other bikes ridden include the 919 Honda, Blackbird, V-Max, BMW, RC-51, etc. etc.

More to follow.

Jan

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Okay, it's been a week, and for those of us who weren't able to attend, WE NEED PICS.

And perhaps a little write-up?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Will get some photo posted after return from family outting. That will be sometime after the 25th. Just to confirm, though, there were ice cream parlors involved.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Will get some photo posted after return from family outting. That will be sometime after the 25th. Just to confirm, though, there were ice cream parlors involved.
Larry, you are so cruel. Just don't tell me you found a good micro-brewery and a humidor too.
Rick Pope

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

There was a brewery, nearby, Rick. Would you believe I couldn't get anyone e up there! (More on that later.) No humidor, though. However, never without a few good cigars in the travel tupperdor. Look to seeing you at VMD.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I was so busy looking at stuff at Motopedia and then at Rhinebeck that I was derelict in taking pictures. I did get one done, and that was after several of us left the musuem on Friday and knocked a few curvy miles back before dinner. This pic is on Route 9 at an overlook over the Hudson River near the Bear Mountain Bridge. We had to dodge some thunderheads but made it back to the hotel dry. It was a good weekend. Looking forward to more pics!!!

Steve

Last edited by SteveG on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Is that Rob Ringnalda with his Blackbird? Did his dad not let him ride one of his many CBXes?? What a shame...... :teasing-poke:

dcmcmunn
ICOA Membership Director
ICOA Membership Director

Post by dcmcmunn »

http://dmcmunn.smugmug.com/CBX-Motorcyc ... ally-2012/

Rally pictures--sorry for the delay--been changing our internet service.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Well, looks like I missed a good time with great folks.

Saw a couple of cool bikes in the photos of the museum, those funny blue ones with 4 cylinders. The one dressed for the Great Race I believe belongs to an aquantance of mine, He also owns that black streamliner w/ Henderson power.

And the Texas Parfait looks might fine too. Bet that's right tasty with a Shiner Bock. :D
Rick Pope

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Thought you might like the Texas Parfait, Rick.

Dave

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Re: Newburgh, NY Rally

Post by Ringnalda »

All, I had written this a while ago, just hadn't posted it yet...

The 7th , 8th and 9th of June a gathering was held in Newburgh, NY for CBX motorcycle owners. It had been announced as the National ICOA rally… Early on that week the weather forecast was rather poor, but as the weekend approached the weather outlook improved. On Thursday people started arriving, and on Friday the group met at the new motorcycle museum in Newburgh called Motorcycle Pedia. The car park at this museum is very large and could easily accommodate a large group. About 20-25 people showed up, with 11 CBX’s being present at the meeting; a nice CBX turnout! After touring the museum and taking some photo’s, the CBX’s were entered in a show, where the quality of the bikes were judged by experts Dave McMunn and Dennis McCartney. Some of the local attendees had to return to their homes so some of the awards were handed out just after the Judging. John Haverwell (sp) otherwise known as ‘Chico’ on CBXWorld won best early custom award, with his nice 1979 that he has been restoring very tastefully. The group then got ready to enjoy some French food, somewhat influenced by none other than JP Grasmuck, on the other side of the Hudson river in Cold Springs. After a nice dinner, the other awards of the show were distributed. Stephen Gruber won best stock late model with his bike, Some Dutch guy won early stock award with a black ’80 and well, JP cleaned up the rest with his bikes that he brought to the show. Nice job Jean-Paul!
Above and Beyond recognition went to Dennis McCartney for his help, and the evening was rounded off by a round of coffees and deserts. Because the weather outlook was still uncertain, we agreed to meet in the hotel lobby on Saturday morning, to see if the ride could be held. Since the grey skies did not look promising, and the Doppler radar combined with the thunderstorm warnings did not look any more promising, the ride was cancelled and we all departed for the Rhinebeck event
It was interesting seeing the collections at Rhinebeck, and it is clear that this event is growing. A lot of attendees were there even though the weather was less than ideal!
Thanks to all that could make it, those of you that couldn’t make it missed out on some good times and good people. The next major event will be Vintage days, where we will be running the Bald Brit on Sweepings again, and we will also be going to Barber for a CBX presence.

Check out the pictures that Diane McMunn took on:

http://dmcmunn.smugmug.com/CBX-Motorcyc ... &k=X67qh9t
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”