VJMC Indiana event

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

VJMC Indiana event

Post by Rick Pope »

It was just brought to my attention by Don Cecchoni, ICOA member from KY, that the VJMC is holding a meet at Spring Mills State Park in Indiana Aug. 9-12, 2012. He even sent a link to an e-mail that looked to be sent to members of that organization.

So, y'all might want to mark that on your calendar, or even alter summer plans. It's a nice day ride through beautiful country and winding roads to get there from here, though it would be a stretch to make it round trip andf spend quality time at the event.

This might bear some thought.......................... If any of you knows more, please inform the rest of us.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: VJMC Indiana event

Post by rpleines »

Here is what I know.
The VJMC Is Celebrating 35 Years!
You are welcome to join us...

Founded in 1977, this year marks the 35th Anniversary of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club of North America. We would like to invite you to join us in celebrating this anniversary of our club. The theme for our celebration is…..“Memories of Bikes Past”
The 35th Anniversary Celebration and Rally will take place at Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell, Indiana beginning 9 August through 11 August 2012. A full schedule of activities is planned that will provide a memorable event for everyone. Whether you bring a bike, come for the celebration banquet or just come to enjoy the camaraderie of vintage Japanese motorcycle enthusiasts. Join us as we escape from the modern world to a simpler, more relaxing time.
Highlights of this anniversary celebration will include a trip to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum, a bike show, discussions of the future of VJMC events and the 35th Anniversary Celebration banquet. Intermixed throughout the rally will be rural rides that will follow routes laid out by local riders, who know the back roads of their own area best. And each night, we will get together to share road stories over dinner.
This event will no doubt be a hallmark of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club of North America as we continue into the future. For more information about the park and the local area check the following web-sites: Spring Mill Inn, Local Map, Local tourism info
Park For Room and Camping Reservations:
Spring Mill State Park
Mitchell, IN, 47446
Reservations Direct: 812-849-4508
Inn Reservations or Campground Reservations
Park Entrance Fees> Friday and Saturday: In-state - $5.00/day, out-of-state -$7.

Dale Seymore and I [including Cathy] will be riding CBX's from Connecticut and staying at the site.
Rich Pleines

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The Inn at Spring Mill is very nice, as is the rest of the park. The pioneer village and grist mill are cool too. I'm not really familiar with most of the roads around there, but I can find the wineries and ice cream stops for you. :D

Rich, there's a fairly good chance you'll be going very near our house as you cross from Ohio to Indiana. Feel free to stop and set a spell.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

We will plan on it and will be in contact as we get closer to the event. Thanks for the invite. Sincerely, Rich
Rich Pleines

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've made reservations in the campground at Spring Mills State Park for 8/9 through 8/13. The Official ICOA Party Wagon will be there!!! It can be the place to hang out in the evenings, and for sure, we'll be cook'n, sampling a couple of refreshing adult beverages, and drooling over everyones' cool old bikes.

If any one else is planning to camp, we're on lot 93. Go to: http://www.camping.in.gov to make your reservations, or call 866-622-6746.
Rick Pope

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Rick, does a person have to be a member of VJMC to attend their activities and programs for this? Does not appear to be so from what I saw on their website. Just wondered if you knew definitely. Looks like a good weekend.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

To be honest, I don't know about membership. But I most likely join, if they'd have me. I was a member once, but let it lapse.

There will be several of the CBX/ICOA crowd there, Don Cecconi, Rich Pleines and a friend, Susan and I, and most like more we don't know about.
Rick Pope

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Have my room booked at the Springmill Park Inn: 8 to 12. Looking forward to it.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

Larry, You do not have to be a member of the VJMC to attend. All are welcome. See you there!
Rich Pleines

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Rich. Good for everyone to know.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

rpleines wrote:Larry, You do not have to be a member of the VJMC to attend. All are welcome. See you there!
I just looked into this and I think it will cost you and your signficant other $100.- to register, if you are not a VJMC member. Even for members, the registration fee is hefty.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Hmmmm. What if we just "crash the party"? There will be several of us there, so we can just mingle and enjoy the show.

It won't bother me if I'm not eligible to "enter" a CBX or my CB836Kafe, but they'll be there for others to see. I'll even take the "Rally 90". I guarantee it will be the only one there.
Rick Pope

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'm with you, Rick. Can't think there would be any charge to wander through. I'd wager the '90' could get you an invite!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

Based on the post by EMS I contacted the organizer of the event and I received the following response.
"Rich,
I have attached a document with details of the various types of registration.
VJMC has received numerous email and phone calls regarding events. The common element was comparing VJMC events to other Motorcycle events with thousands of participants.
In order to do a quality event it requires a certain amount of expense. When you break down the costs of registration we feel you are getting a fair return for the cost. As Our goal is a breakeven point on all events. We tried to provide enough options that allow a member some flexibility with their choice. If you look at the base cost for a VJMC member it is no different than a lot of the past National Rallies. The non-member choices include VJMC Dues for one year. Due to event insurance requirements the insurer mandates that all attendees must be members. Only other option here is a members only event.
As for spouses or significant others, the cost is $35 and that barely covers the costs for the three meals provided. Again we did not want to exclude them from any of the festivities.
Is there a perfect solution? Probably not. However we are surveying the membership for input regarding events, the type event, locations of events and cost of registration. I would be happy to entertain any conversation on these subjects. In fact at every event I plan to have sessions specifically to discuss events.
Please feel free to share the attached document and/or this email.
Peter Slatcoff
Chairman, 35th Anniversary Celebration
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
35thAnniversary@VJMC.org
35thAnniversary@VJMC.org
POC: Peter Slatcoff"

Document
35th Anniversary WEBSITE:
http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/D ... ID=1081233

Direct link to the 35th Anniversary Registration WEBSITE:
http://www.regonline.com/Register/Check ... Id=1081233

VJMC Current Member - $60
Member registration includes: free entry into Spring Mill State Park, 35th Anniversary Pin, T-shirt, Commemorative photo, Thursday Meet and Greet (Sponsored by the VJMC Board of Directors), Friday Hoosier Dinner, and Saturday's Celebration Banquet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VJMC Current Member - $75
Member registration includes: free entry into Spring Mill State Park, 35th Anniversary Pin, T-shirt, Commemorative photo, Thursday Meet and Greet (Sponsored by the VJMC Board of Directors), Friday Hoosier Dinner, and Saturday's Celebration Banquet.

The Plus+ Commemorative Anniversary Hat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inactive VJMC Member or Non-Member - $85

Also includes one year membership to VJMC.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inactive VJMC Member or Non-Member - $100

Also includes one year membership to VJMC.

The Plus+ Commemorative Anniversary Hat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bike Show Only
This registration provides entry into the bike show only. It does not include entry or participation in any of the other 35th Anniversary Celebration and National Rally activities.
Entry fee for motorcycle $10.00

I don't know if it will be possible to just look around without registration however it looks like a no. I think the $10.00 bike show is to enter a bike in addition to the registration costs. This is all the info. I have at this time. Hope to see some of you there. Rich
Rich Pleines

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Most of you missed a really nice weekend event. I say "most", because Larry Zimmer, and Don/Gail Cecconi showed up as well.

To say that Spring Mills State Park is a nice place for a motorcycle rally would be an insult. It's the best place for such an event I've ever seen. Oddly enough, we've been there many times, and I'd never dreamed they would be so accomodating to a bunch of silver haired motorcyclists.

I got to talk to my VJMC counter-part, the "events co-ordinator", and we discussed the possibility of doing a joint rally there in 2014. VJMC has already announced the date, late June, so we'll need to see if that will work for us. I certainly hope so as it would be a great fit for both clubs.

Hopefully Larry will stop bye soon with some pics....
Rick Pope

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”