Vintage Motorcycle Days West ....

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Vintage Motorcycle Days West ....

Post by John S. (5594) »

Hi Folks - Let me try this post again on the "new" Forum,

New to "vintage" motorcycle ownership - I somehow managed to acquire three very nice CBX's last year. One of them - a silver '79 - actually won a few trophies at previous VMD West events held at nearby Sears Point (Infineon) Raceway. Though I bought these bikes to ride - I thought it would be fun to clean them up a bit and enter them in some West Coast shows.

Unfortunately - when I started checking into matters - it appears that the '03 VMD West event has been changed and/or cancelled:

http://dart.stanford.edu/~calhsta/0128.html

I do see that Cycle World is sponsoring a "Rolling Concours" during the SonomaFest (May 3) which is advertised for bikes built before 1976 - so much for the CBX's (?).

Motorcycle shows or concours events are totally foreign to this rider - perhaps someone could offer some guidance. If not VMD West - are there other/similar events out this way for showing the CBX? - what about Del Mar? Any guidance appreciated here.

Thanks in advance and all the best,

John
San Jose, California

PS - Will try posting an image for fun - taken last Sunday on a solo ride around the SF Bay Area. Thankfully I am a better rider than photographer:

Last edited by John S. (5594) on Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Show Bikes

Post by EMS »

John: I have seen the pic of your bike on the old board. Awesome.
Now: If you intend to be a show regular, brace yourself for a whole lot of frustration. I have done may shows with various bikes over the years and finally have decided not to do it anymore. I know, you want to share your pride and joy with others, but a lot of times, you run into judges or crowds who just see things completely different than you do. The first thing you have to decide is, are you in to win a trophy or are you there just to show your bike. Sometimes it depends on the show itself. Do they look for original condition or will a completely restored or even custom job make the run for the gold. This is something you will have to assess when you enter, accept and live with. Also, the set-up of classes may be a thing to consider. Sometimes they are vague enough that you have multiple choice on were to enter. And then, your mighty CBX may be beaten to first place by a clean 125cc CB92 Benley. I could go on and on, but this may not be the right place to do that. Good luck with your bikes!

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”