AMA Vintage Days 2011

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: AMA Vintage Days 2011

Post by EMS »

We are a few days away from 2011 AMA Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio. By now all your plans, if there are any, should be in place.
All CBX owners are welcome to park their bikes at the CBX Club Corral in the infield. Bikes that owners would like to leave for exhibition can be parked in the tent and left over night. They are secure.
You do not have to be a ICOA member to park there. Just bring your CBX.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

I'll be there tomorrow through the weekend.

I'll be bringing my latest CBX project "The 6th One". (As seen in my avatar).

In addition, I'll have a few alternator conversions with me for sale, free installation.

I hope to meet all of you there.

J.R.
CBX-tras LLC

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

JR:
Make sure you get your bike in the club display tent in the infield. Look us up there or at the Honda Pavilion. See you there.

Dave

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

This is a little late, but if anybody coming or going needs a place to stay in Athens, AL (on I-65 20 miles below the TN/AL line), let me know. Or if anybody would like to stop by the shop for a free dyno run, chitchat, whatever, let me know that too.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mike S. I'm not going to make the rally at Mid-Ohio, due to some unforseen circumstances. I did tell a few people from the CB1100F and ZRX forums to stop by the pavillion and grab some lunch and say hello, I hope they are still welcome.

jeff

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Everybody is welcome, Jeff. We have plenty of food and cool drinks. Friday and Saturday were rather light traffic. Don't expect a big rush on Sunday. 8)
The Honda Pavillon provides some nice comfort during these dog days of summer. With almost 100 degrees, in the shade is the where you want to be.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is a sneak preview of AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days after two days.
The trend in the swapmeet from the last two years, with a lot more complete bikes for sale, continues this year.
Of course, this includes CBXes:

This 1982 needs some TLC, but has potential. Rare is the top case, for those who like it.

These two black 1980s were already sold on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. The gates opened at 8:00a.m. and the event does not start until Friday. With a regular weekend ticket, you have access at 5:00p.m. Thursday.
Seller: “Two Japanese guys came by this morning and bough them”

This Perseus Silver ’79 was redone and in excellent condition. Asking price on Thursday morning was $9,500, on Friday afternoon it was $8,900.- on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. it was $8,275.-
Waiting for Sunday…

And John, from Freeland, who sold his two black 1980s early Thursday had replenished his offerings by Saturday with these two..

Although it is not over yet, one thing is for sure: Those of you who wanted to come and couldn’t, you surely missed a great event again.
Stay tuned for a more comprehensive report and more pictures next week.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Looks like many CBX's for sale that someone can get a good deal on Sunday, take plenty of pics and have a good time guys.

Mike would you please tell Wess and Cindy hey for me, if you can take a pic of them and post it up.

jeff

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

I've got to put this event on my Bucket List.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:Looks like many CBX's for sale that someone can get a good deal on Sunday, take plenty of pics and have a good time guys.

Mike would you please tell Wess and Cindy hey for me, if you can take a pic of them and post it up.

jeff
Here you go!
Cindy and Wes are saying hello to all CBXers out there.
It is really good to see Wes back in the thick of things! And let me tell you, the weather at Mid-Ohio this year was not easy on anyone! Even if you weren't through what Wes has been through!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

After sweating my ass off the past two days trying to get two old Triumph Bonnevilles to run, that pic of Cindy and Wess enjoying themselves has made my day.

I did get them running but it was a day late and a dollar short, so hopefully I'll make VDays next year.

So now my bro in law has two Bonnies for sale, a restored 1967 T120 with a 750 kit in it and a 1977 750 T140 completely original.

PM me if anyone is interested.

cbxratt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxratt »

Sure enjoyed the Vintage Day Week-end--The weather was, well, different everyday but consistantly hot! There were plenty of Vendors at the swap meet--all kinds of racing going on. The Honda Pavillion had some FINE food and company--and the display tent in the infield stayed busy. What more can you ask for?!!!

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Well the VMD event is over, and it was a very busy time as usual. Lots of activity in the infield tent, typically 7 or more CBX's on display there at all times, and of course a shame but Sweepings was on display sans rider otherwise it would have been good to see a CBX on the track. But then everything happens for a reason, the racing was suspended in the afternoon because of weather, so there would have been lots of rescheduling and running around if we HAD entered. Lunches in the Pavilion were well attended (since it is considered a traditional event) so people from all different places converged on the Pavilion around 11:30 through 1pm and kept Mike Simon, Cindy, Diane and Dave McMunn and of course Rick the Cornman Pope busy. Must admit that is some of the nicest sweetcorn I have had. Thanks very much to these volunteers for putting on some great food and good times. For next year we may look into consolidating the event around the Pavilion, since going backwards and forwards to the tent is time consuming and splits up the resources.

We saw an increase in CBX material in the swapmeet, not many parts but more complete bikes. Let's see if this is a trend which will continue next year. It was good to see a nice CBX turnout, and of course we hope to see many more of you there next year. It was clear that the number of vendors in the infield was down considerably, probably due to the fact that there was a weekend inbetween the Superbike weekend and the VMD. A lot of vendors packed up after superbike and did not return. Hopefully the organizers will be sensitive to that next year and go back to the usual format.

Please keep an eye on the upcoming rallies to see the next event, there is talk of a large turnout at Barber this year, perhaps we can have a National event there.

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jan summed it up perfectly. Nothing to add other than pictures. Will not bore you with much comments:

Arriving early will give you a choice of parking spots
The buyers from Japan bring a rental truck to the swapmeet to load it up with bikes and parts
Although less traffic, the swapmeet is still busy
Rare items for the fan of English café racers
For me, that was THE sensation in the swapmeet. He was asking $3,500.-
Too bad I bought the CB1100R two months ago.
Other bikes for sale
Kawasaki was the featured marque. Showed also in the swapmeet
The sign said: Will start up for One Dollar
I have no idea where the heck John gets these CBXes all the time????
This seller came down quite a bit in 2 days.
I really, really like that paint scheme…
These things are getting really hard to sell. I am glad I got rid of my Turbos.
..and if you wanted a project:
The racing portion and the paddock is not what it used to be..
Let’s see, if a Kawasaki will win..
Some nice bikes in their featured marque display

The ICOA Club Corral featured two real showpieces
J.R. Luksik’s awesome Prolink conversion..
..and Jim Zemanek’s fine ’79 custom
It was a great event again!

Somebody else has to post pictures of the lunch activity. I was too busy with other stuff there...
Last edited by EMS on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Thank you for the pix. I will be taking the pix next year.
B

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”