Spring Rally - Any interest???

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Spring Rally - Any interest???

Post by Don »

Haven't seen anything scheduled as of yet for next spring and I got to thinking about maybe trying something a little . . . . different

How about an Arkansas get-together? Riding the Ozark National Forest and other roads in the neighborhood. I was thinking about a base in Jasper Arkansas, a small town on the river and doing it in mid to late May. There are hundreds of challenging roads and lots of great scenery in this area and my hope is that maybe it will be a bit more accessible to some of our southern or midwest members, but it's not a really long jog for you guys in Indiana or Ohio either . . . . and heck, the really good news is that it's 'only' about 600 miles from me ;)

If there turns out to be any interest, I'll run up there this fall and do the 'legwork' and we'll see what we can get set up

Don

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Some 'local info' from the Newton County website

MOTORCYCLING IN THE OZARKS

Arkansas’ Scenic 7 Byway has a national reputation for being a first-class motorcycling road and what better way to take in the beauty of the Ozarks than from atop your "Iron Horse". Motorcycling is the fastest growing hobby in America today with more people participating in two-wheeled fun than golf.

Newton County and the Northwest Arkansas Region are hosts to some of the finest motorcycling in the nation if not the world. From the central location of Jasper, Arkansas the Ozark Mountain roads, with all the "twisties" and "sweepers", stretch out like spokes in a wheel to wonderful points of interest, exciting attractions, and some of God's most beautiful architecture.

Every year riders come from around the globe to take in the motorcycling experience that is "The Ozarks". Whether you are a weekend cruiser or a technical road warrior, The Ozarks are sure to please.

Read about our fantastic driving tours here. These are some of the choice routes motorcyclists from around the country have come to enjoy.

Jasper has a couple of small motels right on the river and if we had 6 or 8 riders , we could probably rent the entire motel for a 3 or 4 day weekend

If any of you have any interest, suggest which dates would work best and we'll see if we can't get a small group together for some great riding

Don

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Definitly interested, anybody else ????

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes. Definitely interested too. Watch out for other events in May. Mother's Day comes to mind. I have tried to arrange meets that included that weekend and could not pull it off. You may want to consider the week of Memorial Day. Gives another Holiday that people don't have to take off from work.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

I have no interest of any type in the info furnished by the listed website nor do I belong to the group. The website listed and the info were provided to me recently about a rally that is taking place in October of this year. It was being suggested for a different group that I belong to for a future get together in 2011 or later.

However this seems to be in the area you are discussing and is a rather complete package if you go through the website.

Here it is: http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2009/Ozarks/
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I think we should first get an interested group together and then work out a date which works best for the majority of folks . . . . I'm completely open as to the timing

The website Harvey linked to has one route which encompasses some of the roads we would ride - The second loop, the 'Russellville Northwest' runs through Jasper and covers a few of the surrounding roads that we would be riding

If we expected to have 40 or 50 riders, we would need to headquarter in a larger town, but Russellville would be kinda like what happened when they staged the mega-rally in Cumming Georgia - You'd have a 30 or 40 mile to and from ride everyday just to get to the great riding roads. If we're just a group of a dozen or so, we can stay in a smaller town like Jasper and we'll be right in the center of everything . . . . the twisties begin right at the city limits.

You'll notice that they say 'we are using Russellville as the center' but if you look at where they're going to ride, Russellville isn't at the center of anything - It's just the closest big town nearby the great roads, but they'll be spending a part of every ride just 'commuting'

There are a couple of smaller motels in and around Jasper which allow you to rent the entire place for a group gathering . . . . provided we have enough advance notice as to the dates. That shouldn't be a problem once we decide on the best date. I have no problem with Memorial Day if that's what the group decides

Talk it up, work out the timing and we'll see how many interested parties we have and I'll try to get it organized - I've already identified 3 different riding loops of 180 to 220 miles, so we won't run out of roads to ride, that's for sure. If there's enough interest, I'll make a trip up to scout everything next month

Don

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”