Colorado in 2010

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

No edit button . . . . again - It comes and goes

BYW, the car is a Mazda Protege 5 . . . . largely owned by FORD and it comes with 40% of the ecologically friendly V-10 in your truck ;)

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

We have a motel and campground selected for each leg of the trip. In fact, the "middle leg" at Ridgway (no "e"), is a campground with cabins and two buildings with 4 rooms each.

We arranged for one motel to have us at about $50/night. Their normal rate for ski season is $200+. Two miles down the hill from Monarch Pass on US50.

Actually, they quoted us $49, but they have a 21 day cancellation policy. :shock: I'm going to counter with $59 but a 24 hour cancellation. I think they'll make more money with my offer, and give folks a lot more flexability.

At Durango, we're using the motel that WeSToc used a couple of years ago, and the campground that the BMWOA used last year. Two doors apart........Free shuttle to the Durango/Silverton Narrow Guage RR.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Looking for an update

Post by cbx6ss »

Anything new on CO?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Trying to wrap up details now.

A few small changes:

Salida- having trouble getting one motel large enough w/ pool and is clean and reasonable. Pretty sure I have it nailed down.

Montrose- Had been considering Ridgway, but Montrose is better situated. Downside is motel is pricey, but campground is adjoining, and has a sleeping cabin (sleeps 6) which is very cheap.

Durango- No changes.

Dates are still the same, so you can plan vacation time last week of July and first week of August.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Okay folks, Here's what I have so far. I'm getting really frustrated with the motels and campgrounds not answering their phones, or responding to my messages. Therefore, there are a couple of blank spots on the agenda, but we'll muddle through:

What: Colorado Rolling Rally

Where: Duh.....Vermont? Nope, south western Colorado. Specifically, Salida/Poncha Springs, Montrose, and Durango.

When: Rally begins Sunday, July 25, in Salida. We stay there through July 28, move to Montrose for July 29 through August 1, and then on to Durango, August 2-5.

Why: Because back in 2005, when we did the C2C, folks enjoyed the relaxed, non-traditional way it all fell together. So this is what we came up with.

What to expect: No big group rides, no big banquets, no stress. Come and go as you please, ride a loop and come back to tell us all what we missed. And likewise, we'll tell you what we saw that day. Four days in each location to explore, ride challenging roads, or just take a day off and perhaps raft a river or take a jeep tour.

Lodging: Both motels and campgrounds will be available. Most of you have indicated you will use motels. Some of us will stay in campgrounds. I've tried to select facilities near each other. Sometimes that meant not getting the cheapest rates, but compromises had to be made. So here goes.......Always reference "Honda CBX Club" when making your reservations.

Salida/Poncha Springs; 7/25-7/28
Rocky Mountain Lodge, 719-539-4143
Heart of the Rockies RV Park, 719-539-4051

Montrose: 7/29-8/1
Best Western Red Arrow, 970-249-9641
Cedar Creek RV Park, 970-249-3884 (Has cabin, sleeps several for cheap)

Durango: 8/2-8/5
Iron Horse Inn, 970-259-1010
United Campgrounds of Durango, 970-247-3853

I know some of you may choose to search and find other, cheaper, places to stay. That's okay by me. I chose these places because we personally inspected them last summer, spoke to the folks in charge, and know they will work for us. For instance, in Montrose, there is a slightly cheaper motel across the street. When we looked at it, it was dirty and the owners were very unfriendly. And we used the Red Arrow on the C2C and were happy with it.

So, come join us this summer. If you can do the whole rally fine. If you can only stay a few days, decide which location(s) work best for you and we'll see ya there.
Rick Pope

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick: I assume the last day noted at each location is still an overnight stay and not the departure date :!: :?: :!: e.g.: Durango first night 8-2, last night 8-5, check out/departure 8-6... :?:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:Rick: I assume the last day noted at each location is still an overnight stay and not the departure date :!: :?: :!: e.g.: Durango first night 8-2, last night 8-5, check out/departure 8-6... :?:
Mike,
You are correct. The dates posted are the nights we stay at each location.

Iron Horse Inn finally called me back while we were on the road to the Barber Museum this weekend. Prices are higher than I'd expected, but hey, it's a tourist area in high season. Now the only location that hasn't gotten back to me is the campground in Salida...........
Rick Pope

C2CDan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Colorado Rally - All or Part

Post by C2CDan »

Looking for a room mate to share motel costs for all or part of the rally. I intend to arrive Salida on 25 July and leave Durango 05 August.
Hope to stay in the "Cabin" in Montrose. If anybody from the E. Coast is going, and wants to share a trailer and / or tow vehicle to split gas costs, please contact me at Danielc194@aol.com. If you just have the bike, I'll use my truck and trailer (2-bike size), or I can put my '80 X on your truck or trailer. Gimme a shout!
Dan in FL
ICOA #4418

C2CDan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Colorado Rally 2010

Post by C2CDan »

My mistake - I leave Durango on 06 August.
Dan

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Colorado in 2010

Post by Rick Pope »

Well, here it is Tuesday evening before the Colorado Rally. Our plan was to be in Denver this afternoon, visiting with a cousin before heading down to Salida/Poncha Springs for some scouting and pre-riding.

But, alas, the "new" tow truck has let us down. A failed wire in the X-Y shifter has had the big blue Volvo dead in the water since Friday. Hopefully, it will be back in our driveway tomorrow evening so we can leave by mid-morning Thursday, arriving in Heart-of-the-Rockies campground sometime Saturday.

If things go wrong, even more than they have thus far, I trust our merry band of CBXers will find plenty of good roads and good eats without me. But, I have plan "B", the F-350. I sure hope I don't have to fall back on that.

Our plan is to have a stack of Colorado state maps and a list of destinations for day rides out of the Salida area each day, and a local eatery selected for the evenings ride reviews. No structured rides where you are expected to follow the leader, just a relaxed atmosphere. Go wherever you like, and let us know how you liked it. Wanna spend a day rafting? Suit yourself. Maybe we'll join you. Feel like relaxing at a local attraction? We won't chastise you for not putting 300 miles on your bike that day.

This is gonna have our "Fun Meters" pegged.........
Rick Pope

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”