2008 Luray, VA Fall Foliage Rally, Version 2.0

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

2008 Luray, VA Fall Foliage Rally, Version 2.0

Post by SteveG »

Why go to a CBX rally?

To meet fun people, ride CBX's on some of the best roads in the world, learn CBX stuff that you would never figure out on your own, and make memories and friends that last a lifetime.

My memory making trip started shortly after leaving home when I realized my CBX was just now starting to get broken in.

I stopped at Letchworth Gorge State Park in western NY to take in some nice views. The gorge, cut by the Genesee river, is up to 600 feet deep.

Kept on riding and found some great Pennsylvania back roads (Thanks Dave)

Unfortunately I found out what rain and Pennsylvania coal country do.

After holing up in a motel and washing the bike the next morning in the rain (who can go to a rally looking like that??), the sun came out, the roads dried and I stopped at Shanksville, PA to pay respects to the heroes on Flight 93.

Keeping on towards Luray, I saw why they would do what they did.

Further on I had to stop and think if it was safe to pass by here with a NY plate. But that was a century and a half ago, or?

Another place my CBX had never been.

This is a road I was on in spirit once before with a pack of C2C'ers.

And we are almost there.

After meeting up with the other X'rs, there was an excellent day of riding through West Virginia.

We ended up on the Skyline Drive for some spectacular sunset views.

Being so close now to Washington, DC, I had to pay respects to the victims from 9/11 at the Pentagon also.

I thought I would stop in here and just take a quick look around.

And then when it was time for lunch, there is nothing like a sandwich and a view of the Shenandoah Valley from the Skyline Drive.

When I got back to the hotel, I found Brad deeply immersed in the internals of his late model.

I had to make it back home in one day, but there was enough time to stop by at Ground Zero and pay my respects there also.

I made it back home some 1,800 miles after leaving, saddle sore, but with great memories of time spent with strangers who are now friends.

Last edited by SteveG on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Makes me wish I were there toooooo........ Thanks.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What a great (photo) story! Between these and Terry's travel pics, I bet there are more great scenery shots of 82 CBXes than with any other bike in the world :!:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

A excellent pictorial.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

Great pictures!!!! I really like the sunset shot, looks like an express cover shot to me. Wish I could have been there.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”