Heading north tomorrow

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

or http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-heated-grips/ and I've used my wifes BMW with heated grips. I would much rather have heated grips then heated gloves. I'm considering these. I believe if you turn them off qwhen you're not going fast you won't have any electrical problems from the grips.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

How do heated grips keep the backs of the hands warm? Especially while wearing heavy winter gloves? These gloves have each finger wired for heat.
Last edited by Terry on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I find winter gloves quite bulky myself. The "ideal" winter setup is heated grips, medium gloves with handlebar muffs. The only drawback is that the muffs are as ugly as sin ( Oh how ugly they are too) but that is the preferred setup for those on the Elephant Rally.... They should know...
I have Gerbing heated gloves which are high quality & efficient but I find that the leather on the palms bunch up, which is irritating. May just be an issue with the ones I have though...
I also have heated grips on the Beemer which work quite well but as you said Terry, little benefit with thick gloves...Great for a chilly night rides though... You bring up a good point, they DO NOT heat the back of the hands. They advise not to use thin gloves with grips on high heat in cold weather as it can cause serious nerve damage....
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Great report and great pics, Terry, thanks a lot :!: :!:
As far as cold hands are concerned, it is important to make sure the body is warm. If your torso gets cold, the body shuts off circulation to the limbs in a self defense mechanism ( I guess it knows that humans can live without arms and legs :roll: ). No matter how thick your gloves are, you will end up having cold fingers.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

I hope the scenery helped keep your mind off the pain. Been there done that.
/r
Brad

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

cbx6ss wrote:I hope the scenery helped keep your mind off the pain. Been there done that.
/r
Brad
It was pretty much a toss up and that was the first time (that) ever happened. Then when it got warm enough to enjoy the ride I had the tire to deal with. I shouldn't have left with so little tread on it I guess. Won't happen again.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

EMS Wrote:
If your torso gets cold, the body shuts off circulation to the limbs in a self defense mechanism
Very true.

But I recently rode several hours in low 30's, and the only thing cold was my fingers. I think even without a heated vest/chaps... the heated gloves would be a deal maker. I kept putting my fingers down in front of the carbs until I could feel the engine warmth, and then they were good again for a while. If you get those gloves you were looking at, please let us know how they work.

What is the mountain you were aiming for in the pics? I have to add it to my list of places to see. Looks like a fun place to ride. Thanks for getting another dream going :D Steve

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm pretty sure it has to be Mt. Shasta north of Redding on the map. I was south of Lassen NP when I took the pic.

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”