Heading north tomorrow

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Heading north tomorrow

Post by Terry »

Hopefully I'll miss the snow but its still going to be COLD with a high of 44 and a low of 16!!! North from Truckee near the Donner Summit on I-80 I'll turn north on 89 up thru Calpine and Quincy and then Lassen NP. I plan to ride Lassen from the south entrance to the north and back and then take 36 to Red Bluff for the night and then 36 west to 101 and the Avenue (again) you all know I love trees right? :lol: and then maybe hiway 1 (again) I like the ocean too! :D for the ride back home. Brrrrrr
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Good luck. Watch out for frozen precipitation. :flame: (where's the freezing emoticon when you need it?)
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks! Here's the forecast right now,

Tonight: Intermittent snow showers, especially early. Low near 20F. Winds NNE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 60%. About one inch of snow expected.
Tomorrow: Partly cloudy and windy. Cold. High 44F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph

But north of Quincy there shouldn't be any snow.

Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low near 25F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.
Tomorrow: Windy with lots of sunshine. High 54F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph

And at least this nice (Windy with lots of sunshine. High 54F). for the rest of the trip. Be home Sunday evening...probably. :D

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Be safe Terry & have fun.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Well I shoulda stayed home...damn near froze my hands off! Even though I had on my Field Sheer super heavy duty leather waterproof thinsulate lined etc etc gloves with silk glove liners on, my hands just got too cold. Had to stop every 40-50 miles to get them warm again. Is my old skin getting thinner? My hands have never been that cold. My other gear (another gear story) did well behind the fairing on the 82 but my hands...they really got cold. I've seen the Hippo Hands attachment on some bikes and I've seen those brush guards on some dirt bikes. Either would have blocked the wind enough to prevent frostbite on my hands I believe. I may look into getting some of those wind barriers...or, I'll just stay home when its that cold again. Heated gloves maybe?

The first two hours were just cold, tolerably cold and OK, invigorating I like to say. Northeast of Auburn though, beginning the climb over the Donner Summit, things changed. The temps were in the mid 30s or less and traveling at 75 or so what was the wind chill factor? 17 or so? :roll: Won't do that again. From about 9:30 to noon it was too cold to ride, period, but I hate turning around and with the forecast of slightly warmer as I headed north on 89 I kept going. Oh, did I mention the high winds too? :roll:

After some very welcomed hot chocolate in Truckee (that I could have bathed in) :lol: and a break long enough to get the feeling back in my hands I turned north on 89 heading towards Quincy. In and out of the shady sections I found only 4-5 corners that had black ice. Did you know the Prolinks plow quite well sideways with both tires sliding? Whew!!! Glad I was alert enough to ride slowly. Breaking into the sunny areas was good but still not warm enough for my hands. More stops for frostbite prevention.

I had hoped for some fall colors to photograph but alas, not yet. All evergreens. Snow was on the side of the road in some areas but I wasn't about to stop to take pics. No telling what the temps were in those areas! Anyway, once the temps got high enough to keep my hands from freezing, the ride was OK except for me noticing a screw wedged into the right side of the tread on the rear tire! I had mis-guessed the amount of mileage left in the tire by about 2-300 miles. I knew I was cutting it close but for just a weekend ride of about 8-900 miles I figured it would last. I was wrong.

Called Red Bluff Powersports and Roger there did me a great service even though he couldn't find a tire for me Saturday afternoon in Red Bluff or Redding. Kept me on hold and called me back over 20-30 minutes, he tried so many shops. 18" tires are not very plentiful these days. My Genuine Innovations tire repair kit did its job for the screw but the lack of tread had me worried. I decided to cut the trip into a one day 620 mile round trip and head back home on the freeway (once I got to it).

No threads were showing but that first layer of rubber was coming off in spots all around the center strip of the rire. Worried all the way back but made it home OK. 620 miles and 11.5 hours including all the stops. Once home I could see about a 1" line of threads. It wouldn't have made the route I had planned so I guess I'm glad I found the screw which caused me to pay more attention to the condition of the tire. Like I said, I probably shoulda stayed home! Managed a few pics and will write a 'riding gear' evaluation soon.

Doesn't look too cold does it?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Stunning.... 8)
ICOA # 656

karl sparks
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by karl sparks »

AWESOME :wink:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Terry, is that the tire you put on in Washington state last year?
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Yep but for most of its life (or death) the bike had an empty rear shock. Didn't keep track of the mileage on it. Only the middle four inches or so were bald... :)

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

The tire I had on then was almost new. I had to replace it in Colorado 2 months later and the tire I got in Colorado I just replaced again this last week. We're going to have to give up riding and sit at home on the porch.
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Ain't it the truth! :x Ever price a rear tire for a Hayabusa? :roll:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

costs about the same as one for a CBR1000RR (6" wide rim). Now tires for my CBX Turbo are expensive because I've never got 1000 miles out of a rear. 5.5" wide rim. I actually worked a bit on it this summer.
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I like my $50, 8000 mile+, Kenda's on my 1982 CBX.
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Would the electrics on either of the Xs take this OK? I figure the Busa's system would have no problem. Just shopping a little...and I'm not going to let a little cold keep me from riding. I could wire them on all three bikes and use them on all three.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0257294712

Oh I almost forgot, this FREE 411 number really works! Listen to a very short jingle/ad and they get the number for you by name or type (and) send the number by text or connect you directly! The pen I thought I had in my tankbag turned out to be an air guage so the direct connect feature helped a lot. 800 373-3411

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

they draw 24 watts these draw 20 watts http://www.widder.com/html/Product/LectricG/index.htm which is close enough to where either could be off a bit. I'd use either without worry on my CBX. But it has a Kaw alternator.
YOU'RE THE ONE

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”