Northeast Ohio

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Northeast Ohio

Post by EMS »

Finally, a weekend with weather good enough to ride in NE Ohio. After a courtesy visit on the FXSTS to the local Harley dealer for their benefit run on Saturday ? the ?Open House/Swap Meet? at the Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer next door made this trip a little more interesting ? and the usual annoying little problems with the hog throwing bolts and losing stuff, it was the Akron BMW Club?s ?Spring Poker Run? on Sunday.
They usually plan an awesome route around 100 miles through rural areas south of Akron. Lots of twisties, sweepers and rolling hills. Very scenic ride past Amish farms and fields and the occasional country mansion. For this and, of course for the company, we have been regular participants of both the ?Spring? and ?Fall? editions of the event for the last 5 or so years. Sunday was a little cooler than Saturday and properly equipped with leather suits and full face helmets, saddlebags empty to accommodate for a very much hoped for increase in temperatures, we left home two-up at 9:00 and headed down Rte 94 to Buehler?s in Wadsworth to have Breakfast. I can be grumpy if I haven?t had my intake of coffee and cholesterol, especially on weekend days. After a three egg omelet with an extra side of sausage patties, I felt much better. Back on the bike, catching I-76 East to Mogadore, where the ride always starts at the Moose Lodge. Our friends Keith and Norma were supposed to meet us there. In the parking lot, the usual assembly of interesting bikes. A really sweet red(!) Norton Commando , a great condition 1975 KZ900 ? the guy expressed interest in the right side front brake set-up I told him I have. First FJR 1300 I saw other than on pictures. A 1965 black FLH, well used, original condition, several Sabers and a loud CX500 in canary yellow needing some TLC. Keith showed up alone, Norma wasn?t feeling well. My guess was, she opted out because her brand new Ultra was in the shop for service and the ride on the Buell (her other bike) would have been a tad to uncomfortable for her. They do not ride together, only in an emergency.
We signed up, got our route sheet and picked the first card (always my best hand of the day). When we pulled out of the lot, I heard a horn behind me. When I turned I saw that Keith did not follow us. Back into the parking lot we went. He heard a strange noise coming from the front wheel, he said. With the helmet off, I put my ear close as he pushed the bike and suspected a wheel bearing. Putting the bike on the center stand and wiggling the front wheel confirmed it. No ride for Keith. That?s the problem with vintage bikes, some part may always give up unexpectedly. After he made arrangements to be picked up, we finally started the ride. South on Rte 43 to 224 East. Catching up with two Harleys. The guys are busy saving lives and don?t go much faster than 55. Riding without anybody else, sometimes has it advantages. You can pick your own pace and don?t have to worry losing anybody. Finally a stretch where I can see and with a little twist of the grip we fly by. At Rte 44 we go South to 173 and turn left. Nobody around and we zip along, the notoriously fast speedometer showing 85 mph. On to 183 to Rte 30 to Rte 9 , deeper into the ?Heart Of It All?. 171 West leads us to back to Rtes 44,224,43 and we finish the run where we started after going 106 miles.
We probably went too fast, because although we stopped for lunch, we are back at the Moose Lodge by 2:30 p.m. Again, riding at your own pace without another rider or a group to consider you tend to let your machine run a little, lean more aggressively and pass more often. No poker hand so no incentive to hang around until 5:00 p.m. for the trophy award. Back home to cut the grass, so the Sunday was not ?all wasted?

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

NE Ohio putt!

Post by sr71cbx »

EMS,

That must be real nice & green about this time of year,I've as yet to see the same intense green color of foliage out west here as you all back there get in the spring!I'm also assuming you were riding your Beemer too.......or am I mistaken? 8)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ride in NE Ohio

Post by EMS »

Mark: You are correct in all aspects, as usual (almost :wink: ). Didn't want to bring it up. Keith's bike which lost the wheel bearing is a 74 Daytona Orange R90S

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”