FWT to OKC and back on Saturday

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

FWT to OKC and back on Saturday

Post by Fondahonda »

Anticipating a mostly sunny day, I wiped down my '82 with 303 Aerospace Protectant on Friday night and packed a few things in the bags. Left the house at four-dark-thirty on Saturday morning and headed north on I35. The sky was clear and it was chilly enough that I was glad to have put on long pants instead of cut-offs. Thirty miles into it, the sky is completely overcast and it's not getting any warmer. Sure do like having the fairing to help cut the air. Was hoping I'd catch someone to ride with, but there wasn't even much 4-wheel traffic. Get to the Arbuckle's and it's down right cold. By the time I get to Paul's Valley it's light, but the overcast is so thick you can't even tell where the sun is, much less get any warmth from it. Over and over I remind myself the bike loves the cold air, and that it's also keeping the bugs down. Finally arrive at my brother-in-laws house in OKC and grab a cup of chocolate mocha. This is his first time to see my '82, and he oohs and aahs over it. We get into his '65 Land Rover and head to the All British Car Show. Lots of neat cars there, but only one bike; a perfectly restored BSA Lightning. My brother-in-law runs into a friend of his with an old MG and starts telling him about my CBX! His friend is wearing shorts, and his teeth are chattering. Wind is from the north at 15-25. I check out the cars then hop in the Rover to stay warm. Finally we head out and my brother-in-law drives me around to look at the recent tornado damage, which was only about 1/8 mile from his house. OKC had been hit by two tornados the week before. I'm always amazed at how much damage they can do. If I had been told it was 10 or 20 tornadoes I would have believed it. I'm not exactly thrilled to be informed that we're having lunch at a Chinese Buffet, but it turns out to the best one I've ever been to. Leaving the restraunt, I notice something different, it's...it's the sun! We head back to my brother-in-laws place and visit a while, then it's time to head back to Fort Worth. Thankfully it's a good 10-15 degrees warmer and the wind is at my back. The farther I ride the nicer it gets; in fact, it's perfect. There are all kinds of bikes out now, but they're all going the other way! The ride home seemed like it took 1/2 as long as the ride north; just because of the weather. Altogether it was a decent day in the saddle.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

a good putt...........

Post by sr71cbx »

Fondahonda,
Sounds like my Death Valley run in reverse,we had a bitchen run up there but coming back was when we caught the crap with 30 mph headwinds and chilly temps, :shock: spitting rain by the time I got into L.A.area,and then the damn sun comes out after I got home!Glad your return ride was pleasant,I know that wind in the Plains has nothing to stop it between you & the North Pole! 8)

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”