Tour to Peru

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tour to Peru

Post by Will »

I recently returned from motorcycle trip.

No, it wasn't on a CBX, in fact I didn't see a CBX on the trip. In fact I never saw a motorcycle over 125cc., other than the ones we were riding. We rode BMW 650s (OK there was one 1200).

It was was a 3,000 kilometer ride around Peru. As much as I try to avoid organized tours of any type, it turned out to be the best way.

We rode the coast, we rode the Atacama desert, we saw the Nasca Lines, we climbed to Machu Picchu, we dipped our hand into Lake Titticaca. We dealt with 4 hour border crossings and animals in road.

There were 6 riders and 3 Spanish speaking guides (one in a truck) in this tour organized by Aerostich. I've been lots of places and seen or done lots of things, but this blew the rest out of the water.

We basically had no speed limits, so across the desert, we would just peg the throttle and hang on. Up and down the mountains it was canyon racing time. I knew when I started scraping the soles of my boots on this high dual-sport it was time to back off.

To see a few pictures go to:

http://tinyurl.com/6ep57r

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Those are some really great pics Will but you can't get away with such a short trip story. The coastal area and the high up ancient ruins must have been a sight to see in person. What was the elevation? Oh, the funny looking hat company must be making a killing down there! :roll: :lol:

Waiting for the...rest of the story. :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I've heard of the Aerostich tours through my wife, she has a BMW. Awesome photo's. I browsed your flickr and found the CBX's. NICE

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoctor/set ... 5581/show/

I hope you don't mind my posting a link to it for the enjoyment of others here. Thank you.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great pics Will, thanks for sharing, I'm quite envious.... 8)
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Hi Will! Long time no hear, no see! Sounds like a great trip! Will you be at Vintage Days at Mid Ohio again this year? Remember, Saturday evening we have our AMA BBQ with Keith and Norma again. I'd like to talk to you about this journey!

Mike

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

EMS wrote:Hi Will! Long time no hear, no see! Sounds like a great trip! Will you be at Vintage Days at Mid Ohio again this year? Remember, Saturday evening we have our AMA BBQ with Keith and Norma again. I'd like to talk to you about this journey!

Mike
So far the VMD weekend is free on my calendar. Maybe I'll rope my wife into it, too.

That Aerostich Peru tour was the first ever, so we were the guinea pigs. It took a lot of coordination to make it all happen, something almost impossible for normal humans. It took Aerostich to provide the impetus, Alaska Riders to provide the logistics (the preriding, all the room bookings, etc. and the 2 of the guides) plus MotoAdventura Chile to provide the bikes, a truck, and a mechanic.

Some of us are exchanging pictures. I'm sure some are better than mine. And Aerostich did a lot of filming. I hope to see some of the roads we carved on film.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Bill

You have my admiration for making the trip and capturing it for us in those great photos.....which btw ......were the best detail study of the area and people I have ever seen.

This is another great example of what we can and should share with each other...

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”