Where would U go?

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Where would U go?

Post by Terry »

The Columbus Day three day weekend is approaching and I want to ride so, from these choices, where would you go?

Bay area to Yosemite NP and over the Tioga Pass and then pick another pass over the Sierras, 108, 4, or 88 to return the next day or,

Ride up hiway 1 past Ft. Bragg and on to the Avenue of the Giants and then return on 1 or 101 the next day?

Decisions decisions..... :lol: Glad to be able to make these types of decisions BTW. 8)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Can't really say, because I have not been in that neck of the woods on a bike. But option 1 sounds great for some reason :?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm thinking the same thing because sooner than later the passes will be closed for the winter snow and the Avenue is always open, even in the rain. No snow however. :D

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Always get some practice in for the Iron Nutt Rally Terry..... :lol: :lol:
ICOA # 656

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I vote for Yosemite. (have been talking with the wife about doing that ride some day).

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I'd opt for the Avenue. I'd check the weather and follow the sun. I'm a wuss. I might even head south (if I was up there).
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

kayeboo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by kayeboo »

I thought they had snow up there this last storm that went through :roll:
The devil made me do it...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Where would U go?

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Terry wrote:The Columbus Day three day weekend is approaching and I want to ride so, from these choices, where would you go?

Bay area to Yosemite NP and over the Tioga Pass and then pick another pass over the Sierras, 108, 4, or 88 to return the next day or,

Ride up hiway 1 past Ft. Bragg and on to the Avenue of the Giants and then return on 1 or 101 the next day?

Decisions decisions..... :lol: Glad to be able to make these types of decisions BTW. 8)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My recommendation

Go to Fort Bragg then through Ave of Giants like you said and on to Ferndale...which is a very, very, very neat place to visit and stay. http://www.victorianferndale.org/chamber/

Then from Ferndale take the Lost Coast Highway...... back south to where it meets up with main road couple hours or so above Fort Bragg. One of the top 5 roads in the USA in my view. Details, pix, routes.... plus great pix of Ferndale and The Lost Coast Highway on this link. http://www.takemytrip.com/07orcal/07_13a.htm

Do a travel story and pix for us............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I cant be on this one with you.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that Mike. I used to live in Humboldt county in the late 70s and early 80s and rode my old SOHC 750 (852cc) on the 'Lost Road.' Lots of nice riding areas up there, 36 east from 101 is another great riding road that branches north towards 299 or continues east clear to Lassen NP. Usually, the fall colors are more present later in say, November and look really good against all the evergreens (ferns and redwood trees). If I'm going to Yosemite this season I'd better go before the passes are closed but maybe I'll plan on going north in November. Haven't been thru Ferndale in a long time.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Where would U go?

Post by Will »

Terry wrote:The Columbus Day three day weekend is approaching and I want to ride so, from these choices, where would you go?

This is your lucky year. US Columbus day coincides with Canadian Thanksgiving. Isn't that a Nutte? Why not. Korpan is liable to show up any where in the states on a whim. Return the favor. Ride your whim to the northland.

- Will -

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

kayeboo wrote:I thought they had snow up there this last storm that went through :roll:
The forecast is for snow on friday but clear for the weekend, just COLD. It will be an adventure :!: And probably cold as...up on top. This pic was sometime during the summer as I recall, just east of the eastern entrance to Yosemite on 120. The other pic is on 108, just north of 120 and Yosemite, also during the summer. That's snow in the background and now its October :!: Maybe I'll get caught on the wrong side of the Sierras and have to call in to work (stranded) :idea:

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 0Small.jpg

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 3Small.jpg

This time I'm taking the 79,

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 5Small.jpg

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Aw crap! The passes are closed due to snow. If they don't open by tonight maybe I will visit the Lost Coast Highway up north...we'll see. :roll:

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Well, I found it! Wasn't (that) lost. :o When my pics are developed I'll do a write up. l also found a giant redwood grove that I'd never seen before...WOW! What a ride! :D

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”