border to border route

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

border to border route

Post by cbxtacy »

Day one-Started in San Diego. Went 805 north to the 5 to 405 and went west on the 90 to falldownfil's. Stopped there for a minute then caught hwy 1 up the coast to Malibu. After dodging Barbie, Britney, Lindsay, Heather, Jennifer etc (I think they all lusted after phil, musta heard he is single), we caught Kanan/Dune towards Mulholland and stopped at the Rock Store. From there we continued north to the 101. Went west on the 101 to 23 north. At Moorpark the 23 turns from an interstate to twisting mountain road for a bit. At Fillmore we got on the 126 west to Santa Paula. More boring road. Then we caught the 150 out of Santa Paula towards Ojai. At Ojai we caught the 33 into the mountains. Back and forth, up and down, can't say we were really heading north but that's the general direction. You could ride through there naked and no one would complain because there's no one out there. Everyone stays back at the Rock Store complaining about all the police presence preventing them from really riding. We took a few side roads, found a California Correctional Camp (deserted) that neither Phil or myself ever heard of, and (finally(after about 40 miles)) turned right just after the ranger station. That road took us up to Frazier Park where we spent the night.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Day two-up early and back out through Frazier Park. We took the other road out this time. Mitch Boehm describes it in the June 07 Motorcyclist as "A mind blowing, 40-mile stretch of writhing ridge top tarmac featuring little traffic, even fewer radar guns and some of the most alluring, high-speed corners in the country. It's the perfect sportbike venue, with 70 to 100 mph corners you can see all the way through coming at you in rapid-fire sequence." I think Mitch likes that stretch of road. I hope a lot of people don't read that and go there. Then we hit 166 and took it west towards Santa Maria. We did NOT stop at Neverland ranch, but we did stop at the burger barn in Cuyama. Dan said best burger on the whole trip. In Santa Maria we went north to San Luis Obispo where we stopped at the Honda dealer and I ordered some rake pads to be overnighted to the San Jose Honda dealer. I was going to need front brake pads soon. From there we took hwy 1 north to the Hearst Castle where Dan and I spent hours on a tour. I was very impressed with it. Then we went north through Big Sur, Carmel (we taunted Clint (Eastwood) on the way through), Monterey, and ended up in Santa Cruz where we turned right on 9. An excellent road. Stayed the night in Ben Lomond at a cabin.
Last edited by cbxtacy on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sounds idyllic George...... 8)
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Day three-had to make up time and find a place to install front brake pads. Went 9 north to Skyline Blvd north to Alice's Restaurant. From there we dropped down into San Jose and picked up my pads. Then the Home Depot for a few essentials for installing pads. Headed from there on the 680 north towards 80. At the Benicia-Martinez Bridge (toll(oop's)) I figured I musta left my wallet at the Home Depot. I called them and they had it. I gave Dan instructions to take 680 to 80 to 505 to 5 north to Corning. I went back and got my wallet and raced back to Dan. Gotta drive, will do more later. We ended up staying the night at the Days Inn in Corning, CA next to the Petro Truck Stop.
Last edited by cbxtacy on Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

cbxtacy wrote:Then the Home Depot for a few essentials for installing pads.
Inquiring minds dare ask..... "C" clamps ????..... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”