The end of the story...I promise

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The end of the story...I promise

Post by Terry »

The OR coastline! What views, what vistas. What views of the vistas! If only my camera was working right. :cry: I did manage a few shots. Imagine, some people get to live there. See the little house near the lighthouse? 8) I'm jealous! It would be a great ride w/o the traffic and speed limits. These days, there is a little town or community every few miles, the entire length of 101 thru Oregon. Makes for tedious traveling even on a m/c. In a car, well, I wouldn't try it. Just too many RVs and tourists. The time of year can probably make a real difference but in the first week of July, faggettaboutit! :cry: :lol: Despite its beauty, its a real chore to ride 101 in OR this time of year.

For some reason, 101 into CA wasn't nearly as crowded :?: I love the coolness of the coastline especially if its hot inland. The CA coast fit the bill nicely but still wasn't cool enough to put on any winter clothing. Mesh all the way until Ft. Bragg. From there home, it was back to the typical cold CA coastline, and foggy. Its like riding thru a cloud. Not raining but water beads up on your shield just the same. The Avenue still has the old growth GIANT redwoods :lol: and I still love them. One of the world's creations that have to be seen to appreciate. HUGE trunks rising up hundreds of feet. As solid as the trunks are, on a windy day you can look up and see the tops of these same trees, swaying gently in the breeze. Amazing. The Avenue is mostly a tree lined and tunnel like riding experience. I managed one shot of a short straight in there. Kinda dark, causing me to look straight up to see the sky, even on a sunny day.

The rest of the ride was pretty much uneventful. From Leggett at 101 to 1 is always a great ride. Many corners to carve. Lots to come as I head south on 1 past Jenner and Bodega Bay clear to Stinson beach and then over Mt Tamalpais to 101 at Mill Valley for the ride across the GG bridge in the fog (couldn't even see the top of the bridge) and thru SF onto 280 for the trip into San Jose. All in all a great trip. Bike held up well as expected. My gear did its job and I hated to pull into the driveway. I did miss my shower head and waterbed though. You couldn't buy my shower head from me and I've been sleeping on a waterbed since 1975. LOVE them both! :lol: :lol:

This tour was shorter than usual due to my vacation splitting in order to ride out to CO in August. That will be 2 days out, 2 days there and another 2 days back for about a 3,000 miler. Hope its not too hot and I can borrow a digital camera somewhere. Not looking forward to the 2,600 miles of superslab but can't wait to get to the high country in Colorado. As I always tell people, ride em if ya got em :!: :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I'm gonna save these last two posts for coffee in the morning Terry as it's getting late here....

Looking forward to it........ :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I'm jealous. I wish I could ride those roads, but thanks to Terry, I get some sense of the ride. Having followed him around the Santa Cruz mountains and the coast there for a couple of days, I sort of know what I'm missing.
Thanks, and see ya in CO.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Excellent read Terry, Thanks..... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”