UPLANDS TOUR "23

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

UPLANDS TOUR "23

Post by Rick Pope »

I still have an afterglow from the 2023 version of the Wisconsin Uplands Tour, put on by the Komurka Family. Van started the tradition years ago, and has passed the torch to sons Andrew and Joel. Once again, they did a fine job.

I arrived Thursday afternoon to find a couple others already there. More folks trickled in, and soon it was time to search for food. Cindy Schmitt suggested we go to a local brewery, and it was a good choice. Van and "The Tots" arrived while were still dining, and so did Chuck and Gail Ashley. Of course, a second round was ordered to allow time to catch up.

Friday morn, we had a quick riders meeting, then got in line, full tanks, empty bladders. We would ride the same roads as Saturday, but in reverse order. Fortunately, we had a stop at 50 miles so the old people could drain fluids. The roads were great, traffic was non-existent. Of course the ride leaders did a fine job, setting a brisk but comfortable pace. At day's end, we had time to freshen up a bit before heading over to a hot dog stand. It was my first time having an authentic Chicago dog, and a New York dog. I must say, I preferred the NY version. Back at the motel, stories were told until it was time for the old people to turn in, so I followed suit.

Saturday was another great day, pleasant temps, mostly clear skies, and the same great roads in reverse order. I rode sweep for Andrew, and he did a fine job again. Having a break every 50 miles is a nice touch, and was appreciated by us geezers. We got back in plenty of time to "get pretty" before heading to our supper reservation. Unfortunately, the restaurant had our reservation for a week later. Patrons were shuffled, tables moved, and we got seated. The waitress at our table was a hoot, and went so far as to run to the grocery next door to get a beer of which they'd run out. Door prizes were awarded, recognitions were announced along with plaques and mementos. Then we retired to the hotel lobby where lies were encouraged, and truths barely tolerated. What a great way to finish a fine weekend.

Sunday morning, we got up to rain. Some of us weren't smart enough to load the evening before, so I got wet. Fortunately, Andrew took pity on me and stood guard while I loaded and tied down my bike. Good-byes were said, hugs all around, and off we go, until next year.

So, there you have it. Great fun, with great friends. In all, we had about 14 riders, plus spouses and a grandkid or two. I won't try to name everyone, because my memory isn't that good, nor is my spelling.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: UPLANDS TOUR "23

Post by Larry Zimmer »

GREAT, Rick. Definitely a good outing. Unfortunately I had to miss it. Maybe next year. Thanks for the 'report'.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: UPLANDS TOUR "23

Post by daves79x »

Great report Rick!

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God