C2C Reduex

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

C2C Reduex

Post by Rick Pope »

Last evening, my darling bride and I were at a micro-brewery with friends, and telling them about the C2C. I turned and asked, "Should we do it again?"

So, I ask y'all, if I were to put together another ride like the C2C, but with perhaps a different route, how many might tag along?

So, many of you are wondering, "What the heck is a C2C?" We took US 50 from Coast to Coast, or Sea to Sea, or C2C. We traveled about 200 miles/day, leaving plenty of time for socializing, schmoozing or just goofing off. Every days ending point was planned ahead, so you knew where to stop. A couple of chase trucks went along and carried plastic tubs with snap on lids for folks "luggage". A couple of lay-over days were included in particularly good areas (Montrose CO and Carson City NV) Since all the motels were identified far in advance, folks could join or leave whenever they liked. Some rode with us for only a day or two, some a week, and six of us did the whole thing, from Ocean City, MD to Santa Cruz, CA. Susan and I, Bill and Nardel Hoctor, Dan Carr, and John Dupre.

2020 isn't that far away. I took 18 months to plan the last one, inspecting 50 or more motels and a like number of eateries. Not to mention ice cream stands. I'm 15 years older now, and could use a little help if we do it.

What say you?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

GregW
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: C2C Reduex

Post by GregW »

Hey Rick, if you plan on going through Kansas again, let me know if I can help.
Greg
You can never have too many motorcycles.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Dang Greg, It's been a while. How ya been? I don't have a definate route planned yet. I've considered many routes, even doing a Border to Border (B2B) up through the Rockies, or maybe following the Mississippi or ??

I'm open to ideas, but just re-running US50 would be fun.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Davis
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jeff Davis »

I willing for a ride with some old friends and new ones. Jeff

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jeff Davis wrote:I willing for a ride with some old friends and new ones. Jeff
Dad always said, "You've got lots of friends you haven't met."

No mater what road we take, or month we do it, we'll have fun.

Doing US 50 again would be the easy choice, as a lot of the work is done. But starting at the Mexican border below Phoenix and catching US 93 at Wickenburg, and running it to Montana would be nice too.
I'm open to suggestions.......
Rick Pope

GregW
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by GregW »

Hey Rick...yeah it has been awhile. If you're considering a shorter route, I hear the Natchez Trace Parkway has some interesting sites along it's path. I think it stretches from Nashville, down into Mississippi.
You can never have too many motorcycles.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

GregW wrote:Hey Rick...yeah it has been awhile. If you're considering a shorter route, I hear the Natchez Trace Parkway has some interesting sites along it's path. I think it stretches from Nashville, down into Mississippi.
Funny you mention the Trace. Susan and I are doing that in a few weeks. That might be a great spring or fall ride, summers are very warm and humid.
Rick Pope

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

A little update:

We did indeed ride part of the Natchez Trace in May. It was like the Blue Ridge Parkway, with much gentler curves and little elevation change or overlooks. Still a nice gentle ride. But not what I'm looking for.

I'm leaning towards doing as we did in 2010, when we stayed in one place for 4 days, then road one day to a new location for another 4 day stay, repeat....... We could work our way north or south through the Rockies, and take however long we liked.

Still looking for suggestions........ :D
Rick Pope

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

US Route 20. Boston, Massachusetts to Newport, Oregon. Longest nonstop US highway. 2020? Lets do it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cool! US20 runs right through my backyard. We can join the herd when they stampede through here!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Hmmmm. 39xx miles is a long way. I'm 15 years older than when I planned the C2C. Back then, Bill Hoctor pre-rode the section from Ocean City, MD to Lawrenceburg, IN (my home). Susan and I then pre-ran from here to Carson City, NV. That was a lot of driving, and considerable expense, checking out many motels and restaurants in each stayover town. I'm not sure I'm ready to accept the challenge of a road that long, unless we get a lot of help.

I will add, we had to change two of the motels before the C2C started, both because of ownership changes and the buildings no longer being motels. Everything else flowed nicely. Not a bad motel in the bunch, and I intend to try and keep up that track record.
Rick Pope

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Throwing out ideas....
If you do not insist on a C2C or B2B ride, call it a "Made in America" tour

This one could be stretched from anywhere between 5 or 6 to 10 days or maybe more:

Meet in Nashville. Visit the Grand Ole Opry facility, maybe the "American Pickers" have some food etc
Ride to Bowling Green, KY, visit the Corvette plant
Ride to Louisville, KY, visit the "Louisville Slugger" factory and museum
Ride to Cleveland, OH, visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, maybe the Crawford museum.....

Lots of thing to do on the side, in between or maybe before or after..

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Since I last posted here, I've spent a lot of time on Google maps, looking at roads, distances, and accomodations. It seems the area from northern Colorado to Glacier NP might be a good choice. For instance, we could spend 3-4 days in Cody WY, ride Cheif Joseph Highway and Bear Tooth, do a tour of Yellowstone NP, hit a museum or two, etc. The it's an easy one day run to Lolo, MT, where we could do Lolo Pass and other roads in the area. Then up to the area of Glacier NP.

I'm still looking for suggestions, but keep in mind, motels need to be visited to be sure they can accomodate us and are clean and well kept. I've been burned by misrepresented motels and won't do it for a group.
Rick Pope

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Touring that area would be very tempting for us. Talk more in Sept!

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Still stewing on the routes/location thing........ My bride suggested using the format we did in Colorado in 2010, where we stayed in a location for 4 days, exploring that area, then moved to another for four days, repeat as necessary. So, we've never ridden up-state NY or NH/Vermont. I know we have a few folks on here who are familiar with the area. Help is appreciated.

A quick look at Google maps show that a couple days near Watertown, NY, then a move to Saranac, then perhaps over to St. Johnsbury, might get us off to a good start. Just thinking out loud.
Rick Pope

Return to “Rally & Ride Questions & Post Event Reports”