RALLY POLL

Post all your rally questions here so the Rally Hosts and others can help you. RALLY WRITEUPS: Tell us all about how you liked/didn't like any rally. RIDES/TRIP REPORTS: This is the place and note you can list your ride/event on the ICOA Calendar (Click Calendar at the top of the Forums page)

What is your rally preference? Choose 1 each from letter and number section

A) long weekend event
35%
B) mid week, leaving weekends for travel
14%
1)Organized rides
28%
2)Organized dinners
12%
3)Bike show
5%
4)Tech presentation
7%

Total votes: 43

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: RALLY POLL

Post by Larry Zimmer »

NobleHops wrote:I'll recap a prior suggestion I made, and hopefully nobody takes offense. We are all...not so young. I'm the puppy at 55. It's hard to muster the mojo to ride a day each way to hang out at a motel. Time is short.

My suggestion was to piggyback on Barber's vintage event. Plan it a year ahead of time, see if we can do a parade lap like the Euro guys did in Ireland in 2015. Get a block of rooms, arrange a private tour of the museum, get some bike transport discounts arranged. Make it special. PROMOTE IT, including to the west coast cadre that likely has never made it to Barber.

An ad hoc gathering at Marlinton or AMA Vintage Days is just not going to move the needle, not for me anyway.

N.
Good 'stuff' here, Nils. Been considering the Barber thing for a couple years. My thoughts have been to schedule such a rally for Wed thru Sunday. Wed and Thursday for riding somewhere through the local area. There are some fair roads there -- just nothing like west NC, etc. Then, allow Friday and Saturday for touring the museum, swap meet and races. The general stumbling block seems to be finding enough people to commit that amount of time to such an event.

Whether we could get any 'special' treatment from the Barber folks that week might be a struggle. Unfortunate, at that time the place is overrun by groups and functions much more significant/larger than ICOA. However, it we will pursue.

More to come.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

As we age, apparently the zest for doing that wanes and any new blood never gets to experience it. Rick's C2C rally and the Colorado Rally served to further cement these life-long bonds many of us have. None of us can really appreciate the work Rick and Susan did to prepare for those events.

Thanks Dave. We did it because it was fun, and we wanted to do something different. Do you think many folks would participate if we did it again? There's been discussion of doing a big rally for 2018, to commemorate the CBXs 40th b'day, but in light of responses to the poll, I wonder if a Rolling Rally across America might not get more folks involved.

The C2C was a lot of work. I put over 10k miles on my truck for that event, pre-running and as a chase vehicle. Countless hours sitting with an atlas, calculating distances, searching towns likely to have a decent motel, calling, then actually visiting EVERY motel. After what happened to me when we did the Kentucky rally, I wasn't taking chances. Bill Hoctor handled from the Atlantic to Indiana, and Terry from California handled Carson City and the ending stop at Santa Cruz. Susan and I took care of the rest.

That said, I'd do it again, it was that much fun. We still have a rubber maid container in the basement with all the route/motel info, so it would be a lot easier second time. Plus, being semi retired, we have more time to pre run.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Nils said: "My suggestion was to piggyback on Barber's vintage event."

That's pretty much the formula we've used for Vintage Days for many years. It went well for years, but it's shrunken to a small gathering. That said, perhaps a new venue would generate more interest. We have several folks who go every year already. I'd love to go, but fall is a bad time for me, until I pull the plug with this retirement thing.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer wrote:"Signed,
a forum member who lives nearby." What's interesting is that there are quite a few who fit this signature. For the past few years, there have been some good rallies where few of these showed. Even those who could have ridden/driven(!) 1/2 hour/45 minutes if only to do a Friday or Saturday night dinner.

Maybe some forum and ICOA members find it "demoralizing and disheartening" what happens in the forum and the ICOA and that's why they feel they do not want to mingle anymore....
May be there are too many who are allowed to constantly @#$!& on the ICOA by bragging how great the ICOA used to be when they were involved and some who chastise others who don't behave like this is Sunday bible school..

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Larry Zimmer wrote:"Signed,
a forum member who lives nearby." What's interesting is that there are quite a few who fit this signature. For the past few years, there have been some good rallies where few of these showed. Even those who could have ridden/driven(!) 1/2 hour/45 minutes if only to do a Friday or Saturday night dinner.

If you are going to quote me have the decency to use the quote function, so the quote is not out of context and most importantly get it correct, you omitted my :oops: emoji. That emoji was there to indicate my embarrassment for not making the rally at Cleveland, I was looking forward to seeing John whom I haven't seen since Marlinton, but I couldn't make it.

Believe it or not Larry and this is nothing against you but for me if I'm making the effort to drive to a non-riding or even a riding event, it's going to take more than hanging out and having diner with a few people that I know through the Internet and like to be in bed by 10:00pm, for me, meeting, riding and interacting with new people interests me as much.

A successful rally takes organization, good promotion and networking as much as the location of the rally, while you are putting up polls people are already making plans for their summers.

Larry I offered you some suggestions on promoting and networking a successful rally a couple days ago, the same day I made my first post on this thread but you declined my offer. I PMed Rick and made the same offer to him on the same day and we exchanged numbers and I'm looking forward to talking with him.

It still amazes me when some people can't recognize when someone is offering them help because of some preconceived misunderstanding in the past.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jeff, the poll was a spur-of-the -moment idea, on my part, trying, in desperation, to see what folks want. The old way of doing things doesn't work so well these days, so I'm grasping for new ideas. Re-hashing old ideas has gotten us poorly attended events, so why stick with it?

I really thought the idea of a mid week event would be popular. Many other clubs use that format. Besides, with so many of us being retired, it should work. Unfortunately, of those who still are gainfully employed, many need a long lead time to schedule time off. As one who has always worked around Mother Nature, I have a hard time keeping that in mind.

But this all comes back to the fact that only a few folks even bothered to vote. It takes a lot less commitment and time to vote than to attend. So why do all the leg work and promotion to be disappointed? And why expect the same (very) small core group to keep trying?

The very fact that there are perhaps 3 paid members even discussing this speaks for itself.
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Let's do a little brainstorming over the phone like I eluded to in my pm to you. The point is I have some suggestions and a few proven processes that can help, regardless of the location or size of the rally, really it's that simple and unpretentious.

Jeff

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

This falling off of attendance is happening with many groups and the primary reasons are we are aging out and health problems. My interest if riding and motorcycling in general has not reduced but my health has forced me to almost quit riding and this has caused a reduced desire to go to rallies and such.

Shows such as the one in Cleveland have become rather the same just repeated and that has caused reduced interest in attending them. Dave certainly has a valid point about trying to combine things at a big event such as Barbour Vintage Days as interests vary and we go to see different things. While I like Nils ideas for a get together/rally there, I do see the difficulties Dave notes. And not everyone wants to do the group thing the entire time.

I wish I could offer more positive suggestions but I am stumped. I have always enjoyed the rides, as well as the ride to or from the event, and still remember tech talks/seminars by Dave and others at other events. I love the idea of getting together for meals, but wish there was some way to avoid the making of small groups as the same folks seem to always band together.

I guess the one suggestion I would make to anyone putting on an event is to make sure you spend some time with each attendee. Perhaps even have a welcoming committee to especially welcome newbys and try to get them involved. I am basically a loaner so this can help others like me.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

harvey wrote:
I guess the one suggestion I would make to anyone putting on an event is to make sure you spend some time with each attendee. Perhaps even have a welcoming committee to especially welcome newbys and try to get them involved. I am basically a loaner so this can help others like me.
Hey Harvey, are there any events/rallies that you have attended over the yrs that addressed your suggestions in a satisfactory way? Heck it doesn't even have to be motorcycle related, if so share your thoughts.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Rick Pope wrote: But this all comes back to the fact that only a few folks even bothered to vote. It takes a lot less commitment and time to vote than to attend. So why do all the leg work and promotion to be disappointed? And why expect the same (very) small core group to keep trying?

The very fact that there are perhaps 3 paid members even discussing this speaks for itself.
Rick.
I've been following this thread from the start but felt I had no reason for any input. Why?
1- Live outside of the U.S.
2- Due to a misspent youth (don't ask) I am not allowed in the U.S.
(So that puts any U.S. based get together out of the question for me.)
3- I'm usually the quite guy in the corner at any get together so a rally of CBX guys with your knowledge would intimidate the crap out of me.
So, having said that -- If big events have become a non starter why not encouraging members to have small low key get togethers in their general area's.
Wyly and I have gotten together a few times to attend bike shows. Maybe next time I will post a general invite. I'm sure others can do like wise.

Mouse.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've been following this thread from the start but felt I had no reason for any input. Why?
1- Live outside of the U.S.
2- Due to a misspent youth (don't ask) I am not allowed in the U.S. So, the rest of us didn't get caught.....
(So that puts any U.S. based get together out of the question for me.)
3- I'm usually the quite guy in the corner at any get together so a rally of CBX guys with your knowledge would intimidate the crap out of me.Don't be intimidated. Your desire to give it a go is admirable.
So, having said that -- If big events have become a non starter why not encouraging members to have small low key get togethers in their general area's.
Wyly and I have gotten together a few times to attend bike shows. Maybe next time I will post a general invite. I'm sure others can do like wise.Calgary has a history of putting on a nice event. Maybe you can rekindle the flame. And maybe some of us "southerners" can join you.
Rick Pope

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

I truly appreciate the thoughtful, sincere discussion taking place in this thread. Although I am not able to organize anything my initial thoughts are that having a rally in conjunction with a Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club [VJMC] event might have appeal. For the organizers, could result in reducing the overall planning required as the event is the activity along with a ride/ CBX display and whatever. The whatever might include a tech session tearing down a CBX engine that may have mass appeal with non CBX owners at the event as well. VJMC events are always family friendly with well planned activities and regional events are held in different parts of the country and Canada in addition to a National Rally. Downside for some, always requires membership in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club [ a plus in my opinion, we have vintage Japanese motorcycles]. An event like this may also encourage member to make the extra effort bring their CBX’s [ride’em don’t hide’em ] in addition to encouraging folks who can't bring a CBX or even a bike to attend. Just a thought in the spirit of the discussion taking place. Sincerely, Rich
:twocents-02cents:
Rich Pleines

Mark Crane
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mark Crane »

good morning.i have been very fortunate to have attended several rallys over the past couple of years in GA.,NC,and of course Charleston,SC.My family has enjoyed everyone of them.Meeting Rick,Bill,Louis,Dave,Mike,Jim,Jan,Vern,Larry and many,many more CBXers is a bonus.The real treat for me is to see my 19 year old son on his own CBX.In closing,if we can attend,we will.If we can help,we will.Rick,thanks for all the hard work to put one of these rallys together.We look forward to riding again.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mark Crane wrote:good morning.i have been very fortunate to have attended several rallys over the past couple of years in GA.,NC,and of course Charleston,SC.My family has enjoyed everyone of them.Meeting Rick,Bill,Louis,Dave,Mike,Jim,Jan,Vern,Larry and many,many more CBXers is a bonus.The real treat for me is to see my 19 year old son on his own CBX.In closing,if we can attend,we will.If we can help,we will.Rick,thanks for all the hard work to put one of these rallys together.We look forward to riding again.
This is what is referred to as "everything in a nutshell" maybe there are a few more like Mark out there that just need to be reached, waiting to help and appreciate the fun that can come out of a little bit of your time.

I had a talk with Rick today and his biggest challenge is getting the message out to the people who would be interested in attending and helping.

So it was suggested to communicate with a few other forums who share an interest in CBX's, F bikes and other Hondas.
I and a few other members here are also members of the cb1100f.net forum and vise a verse so that was a logical choice because they have a Rally organized in June. I have asked the site and the rally organizers if it was Okay to post their rally info on this site, just waiting for a confirmation.

This was my post to the cb1100f site.

Fellas and everyone organizing the rally,

Do you mind if I post the rally information on the ICOA CBX club forum, I know many of you own CBX's and many of the ICOA members own F bikes. The CBX club is looking at rally opportunities for the coming 2017, 2018 riding seasons.

The CBX turns 40 in 2018 and the club is looking ahead, trying to build some momentum towards a large gathering of CBX and F bikes for 2018. I know for a fact the two sites share a few members and most importantly the love of great machines.

So if you guys don't mind, I'll post the NE rally details on the CBX site and maybe we can get some cross pollination between both clubs, ride some and shoot the shit about the possibility of a large rally for 2018, oh and possibly have a few cocktails in the parking lot after a fun days of riding.

Let me know!
JB

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I got the go ahead from the cb1100f.net forum to post up their rally, we are officially invited :text-welcomewave:
This is my reply to their welcome,
Okay guys, I'll post the NE rally details on the CBX club site and see what shakes loose. So if some of the members over there come over here to see what news/updates there are on the NE F rally please welcome them and fill them in.

As more like minded clubs are contacted i.e. (CBXworld, HSTA, VJMC) for a 2018 rally and any other clubs/forums that you guys might suggest, we should be able to build quite a solid network for a large rally in 2018. What we are trying to do now with this riding season is to get the word out and start the discussions now at some smaller rallies throughout this year.

So,
Here is the CB1100F Club's rally details, dates and such, I do believe you may have to register to view the thread over there, so here is a copy & paste and a link to the thread.

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... c&start=30

Friday June 2 - Sunday June 4 2017
Early rides on on Wednesday (May 31st) and Thursday (June 1st)

Motel

Christopher's Restaurant & Country Lodging
South Side Oneonta,, 739 NY Route 28, Oneonta, NY 13820
(607) 432-2444

http://www.christopherslodging.com

On the link which I have posted shows their rooms but we are going to be staying on the east side of the steakhouse. There is everything you can imagine to choose from our location. Across the road, beer, Buffalo Wild Wings, Christophers Steak House, Taco Bell, Mickey D's and Denny's all within walking distance.

A block of rooms have been set aside. You must call the motel to get our special group rate (ask for Marge). Please be advised that you may be required to pay 1/2 of the room charge when reserving a room.

Attending/Rooming (Arriving):

ScrambleBob and BlueThunder (Thurs)
Tomk1960 (Thu)
Wampkamp1100
Toddk
SteveG (Wed)
deandeib and STDocLizard (Wed)
hondaron and Mrs. Hondaron (Wed)
Cliffiec
Vince83 and George
Sillygoose, Crash, Little Goose, Pete
Izzy