What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by wyly »

I thought I'd have the chain conversion done today but I ran into a problem. A nut was missing from the sprocket bolt, don't know how that could happen with the nut retainer still in place. Easy enough to find another nut.
IMG_2844.jpg
removed the hub pulled out the stud to find it had sheared off. How? It's never been apart since it left the factory. If I can find another locally I'll have it together today otherwise it'll be two week wait before I get a replacement from ebay.
IMG_2848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

This is confusing. this should be a stud 12x55 with threads on both ends. One side screws into the hub, the other takes the nut for the sprocket.
Do you have a different hub, because you don't have the stock wheels?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Never mind. I didn't see you were working on the GSX...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

160 hp for the GS1150? That's a high number.
How big are you going? Cams? Carbs?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 pm
Sounds like he's planning to hit the bottle to get there:
wyly wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am
hp goal should be easily exceeded if I add NOS, 180hp is a definite possibility.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 pm
Flat slide carbs and headers provided a nice boost the overbore should bring it to 150-160 at the crank, I'll be happy with a conservative 150, so 135ish at the rear? My mechanic and advisor has rebuilt the head prefers to keep stock cam for better mid range, he thinks I have enough hp now but I want the extra 8-10% hp of the big bore. Add the NOS and huge gains are possible but I risk having issues with the crank if I go too crazy, it's got to reliable and civilized for daily rides. As it is now I'll need to strengthen the clutch before it explodes.

Some of GSX/efe guys I've been chatting with are running 200-300hp with turbos or superchargers and NOS. I've no interest in going there, too much money and I'd like to keep my license and stay alive.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A couple years ago i talked with RapidRay from the GSResources about my 1229 kitted GS1150.
He had a myriad of options, unfortunately my appetite was much bigger than my wallet.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:26 pm
A couple years ago i talked with RapidRay from the GSResources about my 1229 kitted GS1150.
He had a myriad of options, unfortunately my appetite was much bigger than my wallet.
I've been chatting with an efe owner that estimates the investment into his bike is approaching $70K(edit, CDN funds). A staggering sum but when money isn't an issue and it's what you love to do, why not.

Locally I know of an '84 1150efe owner that did a complete tear down restoration, about $20k rebuild for a bike is maybe worth $5k to a collector.
Last edited by wyly on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I just wanna go on record saying that I'd rather have a $50k CBX and a nice new bike than a $70k EFE.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 am
I just wanna go on record saying that I'd rather have a $50k CBX and a nice new bike than a $70k EFE.
I'm with you on that.

But to be fair many suzuki owners feel the same way about our beloved CBX. And like that French CBX which has had an enormous amount of cash thrown at it, other than general appearance that efe has very little in common with the oem.

I've spent between $4-5k on my efe which I acquired for $1, that isn't sound financial planning but it is entertaining.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am
But to be fair many suzuki owners feel the same way about our beloved CBX.
The difference is that they're wrong and we're right! :laughing-rolling:

My first bike was a 2000 Katana 600, and the truth is that I think the TSCC A/O-cooled engines are one of the 2 best-looking I4 engines of all time (the other being the Honda SOHC4) - and there is no arguing with the engineering. Tough, versatile, powerful, easy to ride and live with - and they sound OK above 10k RPM. That engine family owes a lot to the one in the EFE. I don't want one, but I definitely get the appeal.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

The grandfather of all the GSXR's that came later. An incredibly strong engine that ended up in drag and track everywhere, powerful, fast, easy to modify and still "relatively" inexpensive, which is why I like it.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Our typical historic Period 5 racer GSX's are making around 140 hp for an expenditure of around $20-30K.
That is bored out to 1250cc but limited to CR Special smooth bore carbs, high compression pistons, stronger rods and welded up and balanced crank. We can run 17" slicks on up to 5.5" rims so they need to be jacked up a lot and are often framed by Harris or Macintosh.

The top P5 bikes (XR69 and CB1100R replicas) are making over 180hp so you can go further for exponentially more $ but the motors have a lifespan of only hours and tend to go BANG! in a big way. If the tuners of these things were made to clean up the oil spills that often result they might be a bit more conservative.

I'm told that you can still purchase brand new air cooled motors for the big Suzukis from Japan where they've had an extended life in police bikes.

I have very patchy recollections of riding a big GSX shaftie 2 up deep into Mexico back around 1980 with it pinging horribly all the way on the low grade gasoline we purchased (often out of coke bottles). It idled its way around those dusty tracks never missing a beat. The earlier GS motors were peaches too. Smooth and torquey as well as handling well.

It is worth remembering that it was a Suzuki street bike that finally killed of the G50 and Manx Norton 4 strokes in the premium 500 GP class (the 500 Titan aka Cobra twin developed by Kiwi racer Keith Turner into the TR500 and later raced by Barry Sheene) and commenced the long domination of Japanese 2 strokes in the GP's. Another Kiwi, Hugh Anderson won their first world title with a 50cc Suzuki. They remain very competitive and popular motorcycles in this part of the world. You can pick up a 750 GSXR for around $15K in Oz whereas the latest R1M is over $40K, the Fireblade north of $50K and any of the Italian Stallions for anything from $50-150K and it won't be embarrassed performance wise.

And incidentally, why would yo spend a lot of money trying to get big power out of a 40 year old street bike when for the same or less money you can have a modern bike that will run rings around it?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<<And incidentally, why would yo spend a lot of money trying to get big power out of a 40 year old street bike when for the same or less money you can have a modern bike that will run rings around it?>>

Thar's the question I asked myself 20 years ago when I bought the Blackbird.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I tell myself that too, I could easily buy a 10 yr old GSXR that would outperform my dinosaur. But that wouldn't as much fun, I like rebuilding. Sport bikes are to small for my old body, I don't find them very comfortable. When buying a used bike I've no idea what the previous owner has done to it, am I buying a money pit? A Blackbird is tempting $3-5K reasonably priced great performance but stylistically it leaves me cold. Hayabusa's, butt ugly.

I had a look around the used bike market yesterday and didn't see anything appealing for a reasonable amount. What I did see was a number of wanted adds, for the CBX.

I've gone on a number of demo days in the last three years and only three rides stood out, KZ900, KTM 790, Triumph 1200 Street Twin. I'd take any of the three over my old GSX but I wouldn't trade my CBX for any of them. After 43yrs I still haven't found a bike as enjoyable to ride as my CBX, after every demo ride I was always happy to get back on my ride.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”