What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by herdygerdy »

Lots of skill in that orange build for sure and love that Schuele exhaust. But it kinda' looks like the bastard love-child from an intimate liaison between a KTM 1290 Super Duke and a CBX. At least motorists should see that bad boy coming!

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Are these Schulz still in production ?
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

No, they are not. Schuele at one time pondered a limited run, but there was not enough interest for the exhaust. Considering the price, no surprise.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm
Yeah, Phil ! It is crazy what you can do to a CBX: Schuele exhaust $3,600.- Öhlins shocks $800.- Öhlins front end $2,800.- Dymag CF wheels $3,500.-
That is just bolt-on stuff worth more than some perfectly running, nice condition CBXes!..
While we're shopping, let's not forget a pair of billet monobloc Brembo calipers at ~$5800.

I would consider a Schuele setup if I believed I could find one. I actually decided I would when Gary Wolf was kind of a dick to me after I sent him a photo of his exhaust on my bike after I had put a lot of time and money into having it restored & ceramic coated. But that's a bit too much of an investment just for the sake of spite. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Rick Pope wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am
What many folks can't seem to understand is that maximum flow may equate to maximum hp, but not maximum toque. Torque is the grunt we feel through the bars and seat, and pulls us out of the corners. HP is good for bragging rights, but little else.
Which is why on advice from my mechanic I went with a 4-2-1 instead of 4-1 for my GS1150efe. "Where do you live(ride) on the road or track?"

Going with a 4-2-1 maximized mid-range torque better than a 4-1. Later CBX increased mid range torque somewhat with a crossover pipe.

Not sure how to describe the layout 6 into 3 2's into 1 :think: or is it a 6-3-1 :think: it would seem to be a good way to improve mid range torque, it looks good too.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am
EMS wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm
Yeah, Phil ! It is crazy what you can do to a CBX: Schuele exhaust $3,600.- Öhlins shocks $800.- Öhlins front end $2,800.- Dymag CF wheels $3,500.-
That is just bolt-on stuff worth more than some perfectly running, nice condition CBXes!..
While we're shopping, let's not forget a pair of billet monobloc Brembo calipers at ~$5800.

I would consider a Schuele setup if I believed I could find one. I actually decided I would when Gary Wolf was kind of a dick to me after I sent him a photo of his exhaust on my bike after I had put a lot of time and money into having it restored & ceramic coated. But that's a bit too much of an investment just for the sake of spite. :lol:
or swap out those oem carbs for Lectrons, $800=1000 each.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm
I'm not sure if I believe in Lectrons generally, but I for sure don't believe in Lectrons for our bikes. I don't think there's any evidence that they would work well for a street-ridden I6 with <200cc per cylinder, and it seems like a ton of effort to get them racked and fit into the OEM intake tract. They do sell kits for I4 engines, but they're marketed as "drag" applications.

Even so, I've been curious about them for a long time and I just sent them an email to see what they think of the CBX as an application.
wyly wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 pm
Not sure how to describe the layout 6 into 3 2's into 1 :think: or is it a 6-3-1 :think:
Yeah, it's called a 6-3-1. My Wolf is a 6-2-1.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:15 pm
wyly wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm
I'm not sure if I believe in Lectrons generally, but I for sure don't believe in Lectrons for our bikes. I don't think there's any evidence that they would work well for a street-ridden I6 with <200cc per cylinder, and it seems like a ton of effort to get them racked and fit into the OEM intake tract. They do sell kits for I4 engines, but they're marketed as "drag" applications.

Even so, I've been curious about them for a long time and I just sent them an email to see what they think of the CBX as an application.
wyly wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 pm
Not sure how to describe the layout 6 into 3 2's into 1 :think: or is it a 6-3-1 :think:
Yeah, it's called a 6-3-1. My Wolf is a 6-2-1.
I've seen a few on CBXs(not in person) and asked a couple owners how they performed and they were very happy with them. I've no evidence to the contrary so who knows if they were honest with me.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 pm
I've seen a few on CBXs(not in person) and asked a couple owners how they performed and they were very happy with them. I've no evidence to the contrary so who knows if they were honest with me.
Lectrons? Are you sure you're not thinking of another flatslide carb, like Mikuni or Keihin?

Out of curiosity, I contacted Lectron yesterday, here's our exchange.

My email:
Hi there. I'm wondering if you have any interest in offering a kit for the '79-82 Honda CBX inline 6 cylinder motorcycle. The stock carb setup is 2 racks of 3 in a v configuration (see attached photo) The application is for a street-ridden motorcycle. The stock bike makes about 100hp and has 175cc per cylinder. When installing flatslides, 32mm or 33mm are popular.

I noticed that the applications you have for inline 4's seem to be for drag racing only - should I guess from this that the Lectron is not really meant for street use? Is there any chance it could work well with the OEM inlet tract, including the airbox?
Their reply:
Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, you are correct. All of our multi carb racks are for drag racing use only.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Of course, many manufacturers that make parts that could affect emissions or performance will state that their product is for "off road use" only.
My Ducati came with a chip and an extra exhaust which are not supposed to be used on the street. Liability is an issue.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:58 am
Of course, many manufacturers that make parts that could affect emissions or performance will state that their product is for "off road use" only.
My Ducati came with a chip and an extra exhaust which are not supposed to be used on the street. Liability is an issue.
To be clear, they didn't say off-road only, they said "drag only". So, they're not suggesting it for multi-cylinder applications where anything other than WFO matters.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:36 pm
EMS wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:58 am
To be clear, they didn't say off-road only, they said "drag only". So, they're not suggesting it for multi-cylinder applications where anything other than WFO matters.
I've met others on-line whose rides are not recommended setups for the street, one a methanol turbo GSXR/Bandit(535hp), another rides a supercharged 1327cc GSXR. How they define a practical ride probably differs from how you or I would.

Another carb set up that looks certainly convenient with cables to the outer carb for adjustment are Keihin FCR flat slides, again owners say they work well but their definition of acceptable performance and practicality may differ from mine.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Completed converting the last of the oem plastic fairing and body panels to alloy, quieter, lighter and better airflow than the oem. Fabrication kept me occupied during the covid shutdown. Still a lot more to do, at least another two years of modifications and tweaking before it's done, maybe.
unnamed.jpg
And now I also need to find the time and cash to return the cbx to it's oem Perseus Silver appearance, I have all the parts but many of them will need to be restored. Kinda looking forward to a return of the relatively quiet oem 6 into 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

cbx x.JPG.jpg
Streetfighter project almost done...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:50 pm
And now I also need to find the time and cash to return the cbx to it's oem Perseus Silver appearance, I have all the parts but many of them will need to be restored. Kinda looking forward to a return of the relatively quiet oem 6 into 2.
You put so much work into that blue paint - why the change to OEM colors?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”