What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by AshishNJ »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:04 pm
No, Ashish I removed the muffler altogether and ran multiple tests. It is the way the 6 into 1 works. The original designer of the CBX Irimaji San commented at the time that the 6 cylinder was particularly sensitive to exhaust resonance or back pressure. I believe this is because of the firing order.

In the end I had two 3 into ones fabricated by an expert to go back to the original design (see pic). James Fisher, another CBX racer with a lot of experience swears by his 6 into 2 into 1 - again custom made.

The issues associated with fitting 17" wheels and suspension to a CBX have plagued race tuners for decades and are not simply resolved. The two most common approaches are to lift the motor in the frame or to lift the entire bike on much longer suspension. Both involve major chassis modifications. If your guy has succeeded I will be very keen to see how he has done so!
Very interesting read on delkevic. I have stock carbs and I am also going to use straight muffler that came with it. I will know only when I am on the road.
I dont have means or expertise to try the suspension changes. On the other hand, the previous owner before me who worked on the fab ( I can only hope) may have accounted for necessary changes . I will no once it is road worthy .
Will share trail/wheelbase/ ground clearance etc.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I had one of these exhausts and sold it a while ago. In addition to my aversion towards " -into 1" exhausts, this is also a pure "horsepower" exhaust. Optimized for max output at higher rpm. If I was racing a CBX, I might have kept it, but for street riding it had the typical mid-range "roll-on" lack of all 6-1s. Great exhaust, though. Very well made and obscenely expensive. All Stainless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

That is some fancy tube bending EMS and the associated expense is understandable. Some effort has gone into equalizing the pipes and flow, unlike the Delkevic.

I don't know how it would work with an extended sump tho'. Looks like it might not.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

If nothing else, will sure look a killer setup :)
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here are a couple of pics with a Schuele installed. One of them is ray Fitzpatrick aka "Fasterspider" riding Mullholland Drive :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

Second bike is not a Schuele.
Regards
Andreas

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:04 pm
No, Ashish I removed the muffler altogether and ran multiple tests. It is the way the 6 into 1 works. The original designer of the CBX Irimaji San commented at the time that the 6 cylinder was particularly sensitive to exhaust resonance or back pressure. I believe this is because of the firing order.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect that the packaging of the bike means that most 6-into-1 systems set up a bit of resonance at the point where the carbs transition from the slow circuits to the main jet, and exacerbates a smooth transition from one circuit to the other - causing some hunting at steady-state throttle cruising in midrange.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

aahrens1 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm
Second bike is not a Schuele.
Agreed. The Schuele looks straight-up amazing.

The pipe on the second bike has proportions not unlike my Gary Wolf:

Despite the well-documented difficulties getting single exhausts working right on these bikes, I'm committed to mine because I have become addicted to the waling sound you only get with that setup.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

Could be a "Laser"
The Schuele should have theoretically the best flow. 6-3-1
All cylinders with the same coil are combined, 360° cycle difference, at the farthest possible distance these 3 flows go into the silencer.
Ground clearance with modern 17" chassis is very bad.
Company Schuele still exists but can not deliver this optimal design anymore.
Regards
Andreas

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am sorry.! My bad. I didn't even look at the pics close enough For some reason, i had it in my "Schuele" file. Don't know why

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

This bike I have seen on GSG Moto.
https://www.gsg-mototechnik.de/
Regards
Andreas

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

What many folks can't seem to understand is that maximum flow may equate to maximum hp, but not maximum toque. Torque is the grunt we feel through the bars and seat, and pulls us out of the corners. HP is good for bragging rights, but little else.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

From a scientific point of view: Torque is created by the combustion process as a result of the pressure above the piston which creates a lateral force which then creates a rotational force by means of the crankshaft. Torque can be measured and is responsible for the "seat of the pants" feel and creates a forward thrust through the driven wheel(s), thus is an indication for acceleration. Horsepower is a product of torque and rotational speed and by itself cannot be measured (no matter what the tuners and other "experts" claim their dyno does) Horsepower is an indication of the ability to sustain a certain surface speed. The higher your horsepower number, the higher your theoretical top speed will be.
Torque depends on the gas exchange and usually reaches a max point where the gas exchange creates an optimum pressure above the piston. Then it falls off. As horsepower is torque over rpm, horsepower rises with rpm until it falls off, because there is not torque increase anymore. all that becomes very clear when you look at both a hp and torque curve over rpm.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks for those beautiful Schuele photos, EMS!

It was worth burning my retinas on that red motor to get a glimpse of the pipes. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yeah, Phil ! It is crazy what you can do to a CBX: Schuele exhaust $3,600.- Öhlins shocks $800.- Öhlins front end $2,800.- Dymag CF wheels $3,500.-
That is just bolt-on stuff worth more than some perfectly running, nice condition CBXes!..

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”