What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by daves79x »

The Rifle was always the best set-up for the Pro-Link. It offered the best protection and least buffeting. The look is subjective, I never minded it, but it does change the character of the bike a bit.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I spent the last 10 weeks installing this control unit in my GS. It's an M-unit Blue and Motoscope from Motogadget, I'd guess it eliminated 50% of the oem wiring. I wouldn't put this in a functional CBX but if I were to take on a CBX rebuild project this is what I'd install, it's an an amazing bit of technology. GPS mapping, remote key less start, measures zero to 60 times, G force, keeps a maintenance schedule, security system, built in fuses and relays, monitors the engine, customization of indicator brake and headlight functions, Ping auto locator("where's my bike!") and a lot of other features. It all connects to a phone app via bluetooth, it's going to a while for me to explore all the features.

I didn't know much about electrical going in but I managed with the help of the internet and you tube and reading the instruction manual over and over. Now that it's done I look back and think well that wasn't so hard, it's a really different from oem but really simple.
IMG-3559.jpg
IMG-3530.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the return of my now bigger 1200cc 150hp engine to put it all back to how it was last year.

IMG-3073.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

So awesome.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Very nice Aluminium work, any polishing secrets how to get the aluminium so shiny?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Using the english wheel removes many imperfections.

Get deep the deep scratches out first with coarse of grit sandpaper depending on how deep the scratches are I'd often start with 400 (I've gone as low as 60 grit) then progress to finer grits up to 2,000-5000 keep sanding motion in the same direction. I did this stage by hand and found using lots of water with wet/dry over 800 grit very helpful. Steel wool with 0000 grit and water is quite effective at later stages as well, you're looking to attain any soft matte finish. If you've missed some deep scratches you'll need to go back through the grits to remove them, later stage polishing is not going to remove them.

Then it's time for the buffing wheel mounted on a bench grinder and polishing compounds. This is where you find the scratches you thought you removed in the earlier stage. https://www.fintechabrasives.com/blog/a ... heir-uses/
Use compound sparingly and experiment. Alloys vary there are many aluminum compounds and I suspect some compounds work better with some alloys than others. I initially used six compounds but I've found black, brown and white is all that I require.

A final polish with buff attachment mounted on a cordless drill and aluminum polish. You could do the entire process with a drill but it would be time consuming.

It takes practise and patience.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Thanks for the reply, as I thought, there is no secrets to get nice and shiny polishing, only hard work.😊

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Postman brought me new switch so after I do a few things around the house to keep the mrs happy I'll have my bike task for the day and have both high and low beam again. It's almost identical to the old gear but without having the oem piece to compare to I'd never notice the difference. It would've been nice to salvage the oem switch but it's become too unreliable, after 44 yrs it's better to think of plastic switches as a consumable like brake pads and tires.
replacement switch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

New hi/low switch installed easy enough to do, everything works as it should.

But if something can can go wrong it will, the little tab on headlight bucket that the light bezel hooks into broke, it had broken previously and had been repaired. I applied JB weld and will let it cure over night before attempting to install the light.

If it breaks again I have a monster Suzuki GS bucket and light on the shelf that would look good in there, with ample room for the extra wiring from the led setup.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Do the swap of headlights.
The big 8" headlight looks proper, imho.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:00 pm
But if something can can go wrong it will, the little tab on headlight bucket that the light bezel hooks into broke, it had broken previously and had been repaired. I applied JB weld and will let it cure over night before attempting to install the light.
IMO a repair like that stands a better chance if you include some fiberglass reinforcement.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 pm
Do the swap of headlights.
The big 8" headlight looks proper, imho.
agreed I brought it down for a test fit and it looks like it belongs there... a big engine deserves a seriously big headlight.

And with my led setup a serious amount of light.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:18 am
wyly wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:00 pm
IMO a repair like that stands a better chance if you include some fiberglass reinforcement.
Yup I agree it's in the future plans, I've got the material but at this time quick and dirty J Weld gave me temporary fix. The light itself picked up a rock chip so I fixed that with J weld as well. Winter project, fix bucket properly then retire it to spares bin, install 8" GSX bucket.

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

This week I finally added a Newton Aero 300 tank cap.
Not a really big job, you only habe to remove the inner hose and drill some holes.
20220602_154032.jpg
20220602_173154.jpg
20220603_162327.jpg
20220603_164544.jpg
20220603_231342.jpg
20220616_224722.jpg
Last edited by aahrens1 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:09 am, edited 12 times in total.
Regards
Andreas

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

aahrens1 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:08 pm
This week I finally added a Newton Aero 300 tank cap.
Not a really big job, you only habe to remove the inner hose and drill some holes.
Sounds cool. But those Google Image links don't work for direct embedding like this.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

Another try 😅
Regards
Andreas

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”