Good Story??

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Good Story??

Post by EMS »

Well, I have a story to share, although it does not involve Harley-bashing :wink:
Way back in '93, I had just done a few things to my recently aquired 79 CBX to make it roadworthy ( installing a new clutch and a brand-new stainless steel "Supertrapp") and was riding it to the nearest Honda dealer to pick up some decent handgrips. I came down State Road in Parma Heights and when I approached a traffic light, it turned red. I shifted down and slowly coasted to the line, nobody in front of me. Two boys, about maybe 12, not older than 14, were standing at the side waiting for the crosswalk light to show the little green man. They were talking to each other, but when I rolled up, the nasty bark of the Supertrapp caught their attention. I watched their eyes go over the bike and getting stuck on the six headers glaring back at them. You could see them counting and I swear, I saw their jaws dropping and I could read one kid's lips going: "Oh Sh.t". Gave me a big grin, knowing that this piece of machinery, built before they were born, could make an impression on some youngsters who knew everything about GSXRs, ZXes, and CBRs ,but had probably never seen an inline six in a bike, never knew there ever was one.
While they were always somewhat impressive as far as technology is concerned, few Japanese bikes have ever fascinated me from a mere "design" point of view. The CBX was definitely one of them. That massive DOHC engine, hanging out there in plain view, unobstructed by any steel tubing. Awesome. When it came out in Europe in 78, Honda had a brochure in Germany ( I still have an original) which showed a close-up shot of the engine with the caption: "Die Brust einer grossen Versuchung"
- "The Breast of a great Temptation" . I know, a lot is getting lost in the translation, but you get the drift... :) :)

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Thu May 20, 2004 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Elmore
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Harley Bashing

Post by Ken Elmore »

Hey EMS,

We were not Harley bashing, just pointing out a few interesting stories from the Us & Them group. I think of all the guys who ride on 2 wheels as one group--I wave at all the riders, regardless of mfr and I stop for any rider with problems on the roadside. Harleys may not be my favorite bikes, but I will ride with anyone who is willing to roll on some throttle. Although I do have to laugh when Mark calls the H-Ds, "air compressors." I have a twin cylinder, 10 HP, 120 gallon compressor in my shop and the electric motor on top does look like a Harley :D

I like your German add too. I have seen the "Die Brust einer grossen Versuchung" a couple times, but I do not have a copy. I always get a kick out of German advertising. The word "Brust" usually means "chest" and this add would probably be best translated into Englisch as, "a very attractive chest." The implication is that the CBX is female with a very large chest--not far from the truth. Die schoenen CBXe fahren immer noch weiter--Klassischen Spass!!!!

Macht's gut, der Ken
Ken Elmore, ICOA 5645

CBX-CLUB Deutschland 844, der einzige Ami

Ride Hard, Be Cool

(3) 79's, (2) 80's, (1) 81, (2) 82's

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

German

Post by EMS »

Yes, Ken, I can tell... Your translation attempt of the original German ad caption is heavily influenced by the mandatory U.S. political correctness. :wink:
Fortunately, (or unfortunately) the German language can afford to be a little more blunt in this case as it does not have two different words for a female or male breast/chest. Both is "Brust". No attempts were made here to hide the sexual innuendo. :!:
As you seem to be quite proficient in German, here is another little tidbit.
My avatar is from a German motorcycle cartoon series, "Motomania". The CBX-rider is actually talking to a policeman, who stopped him. The scene is supposed to date back to the time of the second "oil crisis" during which the German authorities, in an attempt to preserve gasoline, restricted driving severely. One measure was to allow only commuters during certain times. So the guy says: "Natuerlich bin ich Pendler, was glauben Sie wie das Ding pendelt bei 180.."
See whether you can figure it out. In German, it is quite funny. :lol: :lol:

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Thu May 20, 2004 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Harleys

Post by EMS »

O.K., now. I am not necessary a die-hard HD-fan (anymore) but in the Motor Company's defense: :roll:
The engine evolved. Even before the V-Rod powerplant. That is a fact. HD started with a single! And there is a significant progress visible from Flathead to Knucklehead to Panhead to EVO and finally to TC88 V-twins. Nobody can deny that. And the fact that this basic concept may still be the same after 98 years (1905-2003) isn't necessarily bad. :!: I think, it is admirable that they are still around. Others have bitten the dust JUST BECAUSE they came out with new stuff every 5 years. :idea: And that all Harleys leak oil is a persistant myth spread by guys who do not own one and it doesn't hold water anymore since 1984. The older Shovelheads had a chain oiler in the final drive which HAD to produce oil spots on the floor after a ride. 8)
And these iron sleds aren't all that slow either. Depending on what you are doing with your motorcycle. If just want to bum around, heels forward, and enjoy the scenery, you can put it in high gear and you don't even have to downshift pulling out of turns. It's just a different way of riding. Let's face it: What do 100+ horsepower do for us? Nothing. You are above the legal speed limit shortly after you shift into 2nd gear. So other than in first, it is unlikely that you ever hit the max hp point in regular street riding very often. I assure you: I do not have a bike that beats a 1200 Sportster from a dead stop for the first 100 yards.
And Harleys have one thing in their advantage, that can't be matched by any other bike out there: They hold their value like nothing else.
The main reason why we are "not so fond" of Harley Davidsons is not the product itself, but the majority of the owners: A bunch of wannabee motorcyclists, who think they are part of an elite group of "I don't really know what". They don't wave and they "look down" at us for buying a "rice burner". Fine with me. Let them wallop in their ignorance. I don't wave at them either. Even when I ride one of my Harleys (I have three of them) 8)

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Thu May 20, 2004 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Elmore

Harleys and a German Lesson

Post by Ken Elmore »

EMS,
You posted a German Wortspielerei--"Natuerlich bin ich Pendler, was glauben Sie wie das Ding pendelt bei 180." It is a word play on the verb "pendeln" meaning to swing like a pendulum. The word "Pendler" (commuter) comes from people going back and forth everyday between 2 places like a pendulum. The guy on the bike tells the cop, "Of course, I am a commuter and you better believe my unit swings back and forth 180 degrees." Ist sehr lustig. :D

The Harley issue--I have nothing against the bikes themselves, except for the price. A CBX holds its value just as well as a Harley. If you gave me a new Fat Boy, I would sell it and buy 3 or 4 beautiful CBX's, but that's my choice. H-D has made a small fortune in recent years selling an image! You said it very well, "a bunch of wannabe riders" who have spent an ungodly amount of money on a bike that they don't ride much and want to talk trash to real riders. I have a good friend with a 3 year old custom Hog, about $40,000, that has under 1000 miles on it. It is a fast bike with tons of torque (not to mention chrome)--but I still cannot fathom the price!!! But hey, if that is what a guy wants to spend his hard earned money on--DRIVE ON!!!!!!

BTW-I do like the big horsepower and going fast--sorry. Speed limits only exist so that stupid people don't get hurt!!!!!(oh yeah, and hurt others, now I am PC).

If you like a Harley, Indian, Triumph or anything else on 2 wheels--cool.
Let's ride. The weather in Arizona is around 85 and absolutely beautiful.
The riding is great.

Roll on the throttle, Ken
Ken Elmore, ICOA 5645

CBX-CLUB Deutschland 844, der einzige Ami

Ride Hard, Be Cool

(3) 79's, (2) 80's, (1) 81, (2) 82's

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

German

Post by EMS »

Hey Ken :!: :!: Hats off, pretty cool :!: :!: Your wife must be from the German speaking part of Switzerland. :wink: It's an almost perfect translation, except for the "180" part. His saying "bei 180" referred to the speed he is going, not a "degree turn". And as this is in Germany, it would be 180 km/h, which convert to roughly 112mph. And I think we all know what he is talking about. The feeling of utter looseness of everything that should be connected together, when you ride your CBX over 80mph....

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: German

Post by Terry »

"The feeling of utter looseness"? :o Maybe you should check your tire pressure or somethin... :roll: :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Looseness

Post by EMS »

So Terry, :idea: you must be the only guy on the planet, whose early CBX with its skinny 35mm forks does not need a brace to prevent "tanking" in curves :shock: and which does not "wobble" at high speeds because the frame was never up to the performance the motor could deliver :P . But just to make sure, I will check the tire pressure before I ride mine again. :!: Have never done that :roll:

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

So EMS, you (did) see my smilie faces right? However, my early Z does (not) wobble and I frequently visit triple digit speeds, albeit (not) for any sustained distances. I now have a forged alloy fork brace but I really can't tell the difference, but I will leave it on. :) I've installed Pro springs with a heavier oil and put the tubes back in myself at the right height. I run 501s in front at 36psi and rear at 40 psi and use the stock rims, but I also still have the stock shocks in back, and I feel them, believe me. I nearly always carry at least a 20 lb tailbag and I weigh in around 250 with leathers and helmet. I think the weight factor also has something to do with it. :oops: I don,t ride a CBX fast enough thru corners to (tank) anyway but at higher speeds she don't wobble a bit, or at least I don't feel it. :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Chassis

Post by EMS »

Terry: It makes me feel better to see that you had to "tinker" with your chassis too. I know, there is only so much one can do, the rest we have to live with and just plainly accept. But I think there is no argument, that the stock chassis of the CBX leaves a lot to be desired. Especially 24 years after it was introduced.
By the way to all the rest of the readers: I posted the complete cartoon in the album section.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”