Gas Cap for 81/82 - Disassembly

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Gas Cap for 81/82 - Disassembly

Post by CCrider »

Does anyone know how to disassemble the gas cap for an 81/82 so the lock can be re-keyed?
I took it to a locksmith and he didn't have a clue as to how to remove the lock.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't think the cap lock can be re-keyed. Have you tried a different key?
I think I remember putting a new cap on my 81 and my old key fit :?
The gas cap lock may work with any key... :?

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

The gas cap that came with (newly acquired) 81 didn't have a key for the gas cap. I drained the fuel and took the tank to a locksmith who removed the cap. He said he couldn't make a key for it as he couldn't figure out how to disassemble it.
I just got a school bike and unfortunately the ignition works only the ignition. I have a different key for the saddlebags and no key for the gas cap or locking glove box on the right side of the fairing.
Trying to get one key to fit all the locks in a real PIA.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If your ignition key does not work the lock of the gas cap, there should be small number somewhere on the lock. Try to find a key on ebay or post the number here. Maybe someone has key with that code.

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

The number on the gas cap reads 1DI314. Right above the number is a small round hole. I think it has a metal sleeve in it that keeps the whole assembly together. I imagine if that sleeve was drilled out it would release the lock. Then again, doing so may ruin the gas cap.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I believe I remember someone telling me that you can have a key cut with different codes on each side, so one side works ignition and the other the cas cap, or saddlebags. Of course, you'd need to mark the key so you could identify which way to insert it each time.

And, the key only has two sides......okay for an early model.

But first you need to have a master. Perhaps the code under the cap would mean something to a Honda dealer?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

But first you need to have a master. Perhaps the code under the cap would mean something to a Honda dealer?
I called the local Honda dealer and they were useless. Maybe I'll try another dealer. Sooner or later I'm going to solve this problem

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

I had a key cut by a Honda dealer to replace the one I lost. The number on the lock will tell the dealer how to cut it.

The problem at this point in time, is finding a Honda dealer that still has the key maker. Most threw their's alway years ago, when the need no longer exited.

Try posting a wanted on e-Bay for the key maker.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

By key maker are you referring to the actual machine that cuts the key? I found a locksmith located in Grass Valley that advertises that he can make keys for Honda's. Trouble is he is on vacation till May. Maybe I'll just wait till then.
Here's his link - http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

There is a tool that all the Honda dealers had, that with the proper key number, would cut the key. I called it a 'key maker'. That is not necessarily what Honda called it.

I recall watching the dealer set the tool with the lock number, put a key blank into the tool, squeeze the handle, and the blank key was cut. The newly cut key worked perfectly.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

I sent an email to the locksmith (above link). Once I receive a reply I'll post it here. Could be information for others in a similiar situation as mine.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

My Honda dealer's key cutter was getting pretty worn out the last time I used them to cut a key. But I have a local locksmith that can make a key for any lock you have. If all else fails, send me the cap and I'll have a key made. Surely, though, you can find a locksmith out your way that can do the same.

Dave

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

What i think he wants is to have it opened up and make a key to work on all the locks ( one key for all). That is not going to work. What you have to do is break the lock on the inside (drill it out) and then your ign key will work on it, but any key will open it the gas cap after that.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Gas Cap for 81/82 - Disassembly

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

CCrider wrote:Does anyone know how to disassemble the gas cap for an 81/82 so the lock can be re-keyed?
I took it to a locksmith and he didn't have a clue as to how to remove the lock.

Been partially there....

Once you get a key to fit the gas tank there is an option to have one key for the ignition and gas tank per the locksmith I talked to last fall. I did not do this yet...so this is on the locksmiths advise only.

Buy a new ignition cylinder and keys ($22 at below site) Then take these keys and the gas tank key to a locksmith. The locksmith can cut the blank part of the gas tank key with the new ignition key profile.

Secondly have the new ignition key cut with the gas tank profile and the these keys will fit the ignition and gas tank per locksmith I went to last fall.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.ph ... electrical

Now as far as the saddlebags having this same key.......others will have to tell you if on a stock late model key will actually fit the tank, ignition and bags...I dont know. Once way or the other, nothing is lost to take a side bag along to the locksmith and see if they can figure out having the tank, ignition keys they just did for you..... now unlock the side cases.

Interesting post.......keep us updated

Mike
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Two logical solutions here, one cheap, one perhaps not.

1) Buy all new locks/keys, everything matches. Sell the old stuff on ebay.

2) Do as Louis suggested and drill the gas cap. Who will know? Then have keys cut so one side opens the bags while the other side fits the ignition switch.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”