Gas Cap for 81/82 - Disassembly

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

I received a reply from the locksmith I referred to in my previous post.

His reply.

There are 2 possible key blanks for your locks and they are the reverse of each other. I can re-key any locks that your ignition key will go into them. If it will not, they are the reverse keyway and the only way to make one key work is to buy locks that your key will go into. If you send me your ignition key and the locks that you mention with the correct keyways I can re-key them to work with your ignitioin key for $100, which includes return shipping.

Thanks, John

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

John I'm not sure if this helps or not but there are some saddle bag locks with keys on e-bay-#220533646790-Mike

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

80 cbx dude #6216 wrote:John I'm not sure if this helps or not but there are some saddle bag locks with keys on e-bay-#220533646790-Mike
Thanks for the tip.

bigtex
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re:

Post by bigtex »

Louis wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 am
What i think he wants is to have it opened up and make a key to work on all the locks ( one key for all). That is not going to work. What you have to do is break the lock on the inside (drill it out) and then your ign key will work on it, but any key will open it the gas cap after that.
Louis and others: Can anyone give a description/how to of drilling out the lock? I don't give a fig if my gas cap locks, so any key working would be just dandy for me. Thanks.

bigtex

Re: Gas Cap for 81/82 - Disassembly

Post by bigtex »

Nevermind, found that the useful guy I use for new keys on Ebay (cyclekeysonline) has no problem making a two sided key, cutting both from their codes. That'll do it for me.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Gas Cap for 81/82 - Disassembly

Post by CBX-tras »

bigtex wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:40 pm
Nevermind, found that the useful guy I use for new keys on Ebay (cyclekeysonline) has no problem making a two sided key, cutting both from their codes. That'll do it for me.
I've been double cutting key blanks for years, provided that the locks are all "A" style or "B" style. (Same zig-zag).

There's only one set of tumblers in each lock.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Re:

Post by NobleHops »

bigtex wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:16 pm
Louis wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 am
What i think he wants is to have it opened up and make a key to work on all the locks ( one key for all). That is not going to work. What you have to do is break the lock on the inside (drill it out) and then your ign key will work on it, but any key will open it the gas cap after that.
Louis and others: Can anyone give a description/how to of drilling out the lock? I don't give a fig if my gas cap locks, so any key working would be just dandy for me. Thanks.
That guy is outstanding,
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”