Terry's Travel Log: The way East and West

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Terry's Travel Log: The way East and West

Post by Terry »

Headed out early Monday morning so it only takes an hour of freeway riding to get to a 2 lane, highway 120, heading east towards Yosemite. I stay eastbound on 108 at the cutoff to YNP and start the climb over the Sierras. I've ridden all four passes and probably like 108 as much as any, maybe better. The pics begin at the summit of the Sonora Pass and as you watch the slideshow, you'll see what Nevada and Utah have to offer once I'm running on the flat lands. Man I'm telling you, nothing to see, nothing that grows large enough to give off any shade and a road as straight as an arrow nearly all the way across Nevada and Utah where 50 joins I-70.

How anyone can ride or drive anywhere near the speed limit out there and live through the experience is beyond me. Even at twice the limit its a stone cold boring road. Speaking of twice the limit, while making very good time crossing NV I was expecting to gas up in Cold Springs. I'd been running...well, fast, and I wasn't quite there when I went on reserve (1 gallon left) but when I did pass by, I noticed the only gas station had burnt down! Slowing, I recalculated the miles to the next gas stop and it turned out to be 40 more miles. In those 40 miles there isn't even a dirt road to a farmhouse much less a farm with a gas can for the tractor. So, what did I do? I rode those 40 miles at around 50 mph. RVs were passing me! I acted like I was sight seeing anytime someone passed me.

Gassing up in Austin I learned I had less than one tenth of a gallon left. The cashier confirmed my observation by telling me that the gas station 'up the road' burnt down just last week. Who knew? What I did learn was riding at, er, fast, doesn't net the greatest mileage compared to riding at 50 mph. Had I continued on at speed I would have surely run out of gas somewhere on US 50 miles away from anything! Good news was that even at my resumed speed, gas stops were plentiful enough to keep me going. First night's stop was in Ely, about 620 miles.

Up early heading east into Utah and Colorado for my second night in Grand Junction. I probably should have ridden a bit farther but the next day's ride to Estes Park would be a short one, under 300 miles, so I stayed put. The country magically changes in eastern Utah and into Colorado. Giant cliffs, reminiscent of the John Ford westerns in Monument Valley, line the highway for miles and miles. Not bad, but still not enough trees to suit me. The heat late in the second day's ride was so intense I tried my 'water vest' under my mesh jacket. LOVE IT! It has the effect of cooling the entire body and head not just the torso. After a few hours you simply refill it so to speak. Nice touring convenience during the hot months, so convenient, it will be a requirement for me. It works that well.

Passing through Vail and up to Denver the temps actually got mountainous! It was actually cool after so many hours of HEAT and no cover. Rained for about a minute near Vail, a very pretty area. Passing Denver, the highway was like many others in CA, busy! Still, Denver residents (Longmont too) are very very close to roads of paradise. Rocky mountain high...no foolin! Coming into E Pk I can't find anyone. Early arrivals had gone on a ride and didn't get back till late afternoon. Lubed the chain, unpacked the bike and took a breather. Got picked up for dinner as some had eaten on the road but I was starving. So was Chris and everyone else in our small group! Dinner was good...FINALLY! Martin our waiter, took quite a while to get us served. Man, that buttered bread was good wasn't it? Nice drive back to the motel for the night and up the next morning for the group ride over the Trail Ridge Road into Steamboat Springs, over two MILES above sea level. Next installment...

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 38f9fe.pbw
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Terry,
You rerally need to be more careful about with whom you dine.......

That was too fun. When we gonna do it again? Did I mention we need to give Chris a big ol' "THANKS"?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Excellent Terry, Many Thanks for sharing..... 8)
ICOA # 656

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Great write up as always Terry. :D

I really need to continue to thank everyone that traveled so far to visit Colorado and participate in the rally. I ride these roads all of the time (did the Peak to Peak again yesterday 8) ) but its REALLY fun to let other folks in on the secret. There really are very unique roads, towns and rides in this area.

And Martin the waiter (a twenty something direct from Poland) was part of the experience. He was an interesting character as well.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Riding the high country

Post by Terry »

Thursday morning and we all gather for the ride over the top. Over two miles above sea level and the bikes all ran great. Heard no complaints from the carbed models and my FI worked very well at all altitudes. Nice road but loaded with more traffic than I expected. Passing was no real problem but it did string us out a bit. Misheard where the first stop would be so Dan and I headed back and found everyone. After lunch we headed towards Steamboat.

Couldn't have asked for better weather. Crisp at the highest altitudes and a bit windy but at the top of the world, what do you expect? Above the tree line means just that, barren and rocky landscape. On the day I rode up there I saw no animals larger than marmots. The big stuff came out the day before from the pictures I see posted. Lots of wide open country up there, long straights and sweepers across mountain tops and some nice corners for, as Capt. Williams of the Colorado Highway Patrol put it, strafing the apex. Strafing? OK, a couple guys and I were riding kinda briskly, a Blackbird, a 955i and my lil Suzuki. One of us didn't even see Capt. Wms until later but we all got together to discuss the weather, road and traffic conditions of the area before we parted ways. Promises were made (and) kept, and the speed limit and all other laws of the land were adhered to until we got into town. Luckily, this torture was only for a few more miles, not half a day's riding...

Dinner before dark and a short stroll around town to let the dessert settle. Saw a few examples of a car show on main street, a 40 Ford and a sweet Cobra, and managed to get back to the motel before the rains came. My handy Nelson Rigg cover kept the seat and guages all dry for the next day's ride back to Estes Park. Up early and gather in the parking lot, then gas for some and on our way in two groups riding different routes. Thoroughly enjoyed the less traveled ride across the top of the park and around instead of inside on its crowded road. Without car traffic it would be a great ride though, like 120 over Yosemite and the Tioga Pass is, on some weekdays.

After a milkshake for breakfast in Walden (Dan had an ice cream cone Rick) he and I and the pair on the only Aprilia in the group all headed the wrong way and got nearly to Wyoming before we turned back. I have to add that I, didn't get as close to Wyoming as the others did before I turned around. :lol: :oops:. We found the right turnoff back in Walden and headed out passing eachother at will till we were all strung out. Stopped somewhere in the trees for some shade and Dan came by for a pitstop himself. Later on I passed Mike and Donna sunning themselves on a roadside bench, casual as you please. Really nice area to spend some time just gazing at the sights.

We all hook up again at a key turnoff and make our way back to the motels. I ended up riding clear through Ft. Collins and Loveland before turning west into Estes Park. Ran across a few riders at a Cherries R Us sidestand where Rick bought a whole pie (and hoarded it later). Had a cider (soft) and rode back. The day ended with a roundabout drive to the Lodge on the hill for dinner (thanks Mike)! Dinner was, as we had come to expect from experience, sloooow in coming. Had a brief chat with the Lodge manager and voila, hot bread and butter in minutes, and appetizers started coming. Pays to talk to the right person I guess. :wink: The dinner's entree was great (scallops for me) and I was so full that the dessert menu didn't interest me. A couple tequilas and off we went for the drive home, much more direct this time :oops: .

Tomorrow morning I'm up heading north to Laramie and then west on I-80 all the way.

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 5Small.jpg

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... mall-1.jpg

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 9Small.jpg

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 0Small.jpg

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The way west and home began by riding east to 25 then north to cut over on 287 for the ride into Laramie WY. Nice, nice road. Wide open and no LEO presence. Only 100 or so miles and I'm heading west on I-80. It was nearly 1,400 miles out here on US 50 and I-70 and 25 and I rode nearly 300 in the mountains so the 1,300 miles left was going to be fast and straight... First day was 767 miles across WY and UT and into Elko NV for the night. Man, is it ever barren out there. Fairly uneventful ride. Surprised at how many trucks occupy the highway in each direction, especially FedEx trucks, doubles and triples, dozens of them! Overall I'd say that trucks out number all the cars and motorcycles put together. Very few motorcycles on I-80 but more than I saw on US 50.

Got lucky leaving the SLC UT area but not so lucky for others. There was a large traffic accident in the east bound lanes and about six highway patrol cruisers were stopped. Felt sorry for those involved but I also knew I would have clear sailing for miles heading west. Turned the throttlemeister up to triple digits and headed west! That accessory is a must have for long straight rides. So is my Valentine One radar detector. Had over a dozen hits on it this trip and 4-5 true $ave$. Thankfully none of us left owing any $$ to the state of Colorado. Now if I can only cross four more states with the same good fortune.

Luck (was) with me. The bike ran great. The water vest worked great. The V1 saved me some $$ and I had no close calls with burnt down gas stations. Crossing WY, UT and NV on pretty much any road at pretty much any speed is a real chore for me but passing Reno and seeing green trees over the Donner Summit was a real treat. Traffic was high as it was Sunday afternoon but riding through a tree lined Sierra pass, even one that's crowded, was better than that desert I just crossed.

I did have a good laugh in western Utah I believe. While riding around 105 mph, guess what passed me? A two up Harley running around 120! No bull! I stayed with them for awhile just to see of they were serious (and) its always good to have a rabbit out front, but they (were) serious and maintained their speed off into the distance as I wasn't going to ride at that speed forever. Very surprising not to find them broken down somewhere ahead. Maybe they turned off somewhere before that happened. :P :lol:

Took the most direct and uncrowded freeway home and got in around 6:pm, after some 580 miles out of Elko. Probably should have ridden south of Carson City to catch 88 or 4 or 108 for the last few miles home but there is always another day. Had a geat time Chris! Thanks for everything and it was also great to finally meet the club members I talk to on this site. Not sure if I'll ride across that desert again but who knows.... :?:

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 7Small.jpg

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/j ... 7Small.jpg

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great stuff yet again Terry, I was wondering if the Harleys were V-Rods or air cooled ???.......
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks Larry. The Harley was a regular Harley. Had it been a VRod I would have played with it a bit. :P :lol:

Damn, its nearly two. Off to try some sleep... :(

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Terry wrote:I did have a good laugh in western Utah I believe. While riding around 105 mph, guess what passed me? A two up Harley running around 120! No bull! I stayed with them for awhile just to see of they were serious (and) its always good to have a rabbit out front, but they (were) serious and maintained their speed off into the distance as I wasn't going to ride at that speed forever. Very surprising not to find them broken down somewhere ahead. Maybe they turned off somewhere before that happened. :P :lol:
I was out on my Ninja a couple of years ago. Going through some of the local "foot hills" back roads. I wasn't going fast but wasn't coasting either. Got passed by an older two up Goldwing going over 100mph. Both rider and passenger had no safety gear at all. Shorts, sneakers and sunglasses. Had to be touching down metal in some of the corners. This was also a road with a lot of side road traffic, blind spots and driveways. Sometimes going fast on public roads simply means who wants to take the bigger chance. They were taking too many chances for me. :shock:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”