Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Total Number of CBXes Made

Post by dohc24 »

A shot in the dark here.
Anyone have any idea of how many of the approximately 1,800 1980 CBX's made in Japan were sent over for sale in Canada? Mine still has the original speedo with 240 kmh on the outside and 150 mph on the inside. Going to the appraiser's next week and just wondering if I should mention these numbers to him. I'm thinking if the Japan built 1980's are a rare breed, the ones that came factory with a 150 mph speedo on them (granted on the inside) must be even harder to find?
:arrow:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The first 1980 CBX made for Canada had VIN --1296. So, even if ALL remaining 1980 CBXes would have gone to Canada, there would be only around 500 produced for CAN. My (uneducated) guess is, there were, maybe, 150 in total.
I have 1348, 1387 and 1476 recorded as Canadian bikes
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.

dohc24
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by dohc24 »

Thank you for that educated guess. I had thought maximum 10%, so MAYBE 180.
You can add VIN #1660 (if you use the frame numbers) or #1593 (if you use the engine numbers) to those you have recorded that were made in Canada. You do use the frame numbers as reference right?
I will try and post some pics of my bike when I get the tail section back this week. Pretty happy with how she cleaned up.
Thanks again EMS, you da man!
:arrow:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

In case someone is picking on the semantics...We are talking Japanese-production 1980 CBXes only!
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”