Ebay CBX sports kit

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ebay CBX sports kit

Post by SS »

Looks like the person that bought this Honda Sports Kit last month on ebay is taking some what of a "LOSS" :( on the resale this month.

Last month
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=35580
kit sold @ $1500 :?

This month
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=10066
kit buy it now price $771
:roll:
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Sports Kit

Post by John S. (5594) »

Actually SS - you are flat wrong here,

I just listed the referenced "Sports Kit" on eBay for a "Buy-it-Now" price of $771 - exactly what I paid for it last month. I had purchased it just for the Switch Assembly, Starter Kill (P/N 35130-422-812) which I need to complete a project bike - it has been stalled for months waiting for this last part. You can imagine my disappointment when this "Sports Kit" arrived with a standard Euro style switch assembly (I already have four of these lying about). Seems the seller neglected to include this detail in the item description.

My other two CBX's both came equipped with Sports Kits - and after riding the third '79 with the standard "Stateside" bars - I decided to park it until I could correct matters (I just do not like the riding position). With a little effort - I managed to locate all of the required Sport Kit parts - NOS in wrappers - but the throttle/switch assembly could not be found (new or used). I did pass on a NOS one last summer - listed on eBay for ~$380 thinking that price was ridiculous. That is - until I exhausted every source I could find - certainly wish I had purchased it back then.

Last year - I started contacting folks who routinely deal in CBX parts and posted requests for this item here on the ICOA board (multiple times) - the CBX Digest - Tim's - CBX Classified - and every other site I could think of - no luck at all. I contacted the various international clubs and suppliers (sometimes with the use of language translation programs) - no success.

During the search - I did discover that the Euro (and Australian) version of this throttle/switch assembly would certainly work - but it has an additional headlight on/off switch and a smaller nine pin electrical end connector. Easily modified though - and I understand that some folks prefer to use the headlight on/off switch for improved starting. But in this case - all the other parts for this project bike are otherwise correct (and NOS) - so I held out until I could locate the correct item.

And regarding the Sports Kit that sold on eBay this month for $1.5k - yep - I bagged that one too - again just for the throttle/switch assembly that I need. A new record price - I do recall that a boxed NOS Sports Kit sold last summer on eBay for ~$1.4k.

It looks like once I remove the throttle/switch assembly that I need - I can sell the remaining Sports Kit components with no trouble at all (and am already fielding requests). And if the buyer is interested - I will include one of the nicer Euro type throttle/switch assemblies that I have. But I will be very certain to represent it correctly if and when I do.

In the end - the throttle/switch assembly that has had my project on hold will end up costing a bit more than the $380 that I could have paid a half year ago - but actually not much more.

In closing - I may not be the cleverest CBX parts buyer/seller - but it really doesn't matter that much to me. Though not a rich fellow - these purchases are well within my budget. Needing a distraction - I recently became interested in the vintage CBX's as a hobby and am not looking to make a business out of buying/selling bikes or parts. I just want to enjoy riding my CBX's while I can.

And when it comes to acquiring some parts - I am really more interested in availability than price. These days - time has great value to me. Waiting for something I need (or want) to finish a project can be much too expensive.

John
Last edited by John S. (5594) on Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Flat Wrong

Post by SS »

You being the owner, you are the expert, and my comments were based on appearance. Like you I also get frustrated hunting for parts, and even more frustrating is when I find something and then can't/won't "afford" to buy it.

I am amazed at some of the prices the CBX stuff brings (on Ebay), unlike you :P and some others, my ability, desire, & willingness to "pay" has limits.

I will agree that time is money, but I "always have more time than I do money". :lol:

Watching ebay is interesting, but frustrating :? (to me at least), cause my greedy side wants me to sell my parts & pieces from my CBX's (that are spares) that bring these stratospheric prices.

Everyone has the privilege to sell anything for any price they can get someone to pay for it, I just wish I was on the selling end more often than the buying end of those transactions.
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Sport Kit

Post by EMS »

John:

Please keep us posted on the progress of your Prolink-fork-into-79 project. I am still really interested on how this turns out as nobody else seems to have come up with any positive report. I talked to a guy from Europe who said he had seen several but he has not provided more info about additional mods, e.g. lowering the rear to compensate for the reduction in trail.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

E-bay "deals"

Post by sr71cbx »

------We out here on the west coast have a housing market with the same problem.If you want to buy a house,be prepared to cough up upwards of $400,000.00+ for a 1100 square foot home in the L.A. area---you all up in the Bay area are even higher. :shock:
People ask me why I don't buy a house right now...........same goes for overpriced bike parts,the seller comes out on top for sure.In case any of you wonder if I have spares such as the one mentioned,yes,I do.
Best of luck on your parts searches! :)

Ken Elmore
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Hello to you guys

Post by Ken Elmore »

Hello to Steve, John, EMS, and Mark,

Steve - I love your avatar! That 82 x pulling a wheelie gives me wood! I also understand your view on CBX parts. It is becoming very apparant that it is better to pay more money for a very clean CBX than to try to restore a cheaper bike. The recent $2400 original exhaust on eBay being a perfect example. This also leads to the more marginal bikes being parted out. It is a shame. My real bitch is with American Honda. Why can't we buy parts at a reasonable price? I just got quoted over $300 for a left side foot peg assy by Honda and I am really pissed off at Honda right now!!!

John - Keep up the good work. Your bikes are beautiful and whatever you spend on them is up to you. I am also installing a 39mm fork set on my 1980 project bike with a euro kit. I have never heard anything negative about this fork upgrade. We'll see how it goes!

EMS--Ich bin der Deutsch Sprechende. Gestern habe ich den Baeurischen Mist Wagen Haendler besucht, um das neue blau/weisse K1200RS anzuschauen. Sie ist eine ganz schoene Maschine und selbstverstaendlich deutsch-teuer. vielleicht kommt so eine in meiner zukunft. Sie faehrt fabelhaft und wuerde zu Hause mit den CBXen in meiner Garage aussehen. Mach's gut, doch nicht zu oft!!!!

Mark - I'm looking forward to hearing your perspective on the Big Bore X's and meeting you guys at the Death Valley run. This will be a lot of fun and I am getting one of my 82's ready to rumble. My mom & dad both grew up in Burbank and I was born in Van Nuys. I relate to the housing costs in So Cal. When I graduated from CSUN in late 1985, I could not get out of that State fast enough. $400,000 buys a really nice 3500+ sq ft house in PHX with extra money for bikes :cheers:

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World,
Best Wishes to US Army 3rd INF DIV--My old unit in Germany.
Rock of the Marne!
Ken Elmore, ICOA 5645

CBX-CLUB Deutschland 844, der einzige Ami

Ride Hard, Be Cool

(3) 79's, (2) 80's, (1) 81, (2) 82's

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Beemers

Post by EMS »

Nicht schlecht, Ken. :!: Alle Achtung, Dein Deutsch ist wirklich ausgezeichnet. 8) Das lernt man aber nicht wenn man nur seine Militaerzeit in Deutschland verbringt, oder?
And so that everybody can read it: The K1200RS is a litle too cramped for my taste. Typical for BMW. In order to achieve higher lean angles on the K-bikes, they move the front foot-pegs too far up. :roll: I am only 5-9 and even I have a terrible problem with my knees hurting after only a short ride. :evil: I have a 1990 K1 and just for that, I dread to ride this thing long distance. My RT is much better. I am eyeing the K1200GT and hope they have used some of the "R"-bike ergonomics. Have not ridden one yet.

team222

Sport Kit: Clips are near worthless while sport riding

Post by team222 »

for those of you that actually want to use the sport kit for its intended design purpose as a means to enhance control and feel in the twisties and at track days you are in for a big shock esp if you paid alot for it

the clips in the sport kit are far too short and have an awkward angle that can be numbing over time and require xcessive effort in the twisties. also, control in the twisties with the sport clips decreases over the miles as the wrist pain and effort increases

the valuable part of the sport kit are the lowers/foot controls which are a worthwhile addition and do add comfort and control.

alternatives: sure....someone gave me a set of 37mm interceptor clips and i had 3/4 of an inch added to them and the early model was transformed. you can shim them for 35mm or simply bore them out for 39mm tubes. there are 39mm interceptor tubes for late models

you can see these clips at photoisland.com upper left access codes are mabarone and cbx

so if you are a person that has to have your cbx be oem in every respect....buy a sport clips.

but if you are a person that expect to have the clips on the sport kit enhance the sport riding you do....forget it

best and e me on q

mike
Mike Brown Barone

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

I`m a lot like Mike I don`t really worry about being OEM correct. I`ll be honest a stock cbx doesn`t do a thing for me. I used the 39mm VFR bar that MIke talked about with the rest of the sport kit...it worked great with 1100F forks. Chris

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

"a stock cbx doesn't do a thing for me" Let me guess, you have a chrome valve cover and louvered end caps... :roll: :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

a "stock" CBX?

Post by sr71cbx »

------You all know I turbocharged mine........... :) along with the necessary chassis mods to handle the extra ponies. 8)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Sport Kit

Post by EMS »

Kudos to Mike Brown Barone to have the guts and say the "politically incorrect": The "Sport Kit" is a waste. Especially if you consider the price.
I have said it before, but the majority was still of the opinion its the greatest thing since sliced bread. :roll: I believe the "cool factor" is the big issue here. Same as with the 150mph speedos.

ken79

Sport Kit

Post by ken79 »

When I bought my 79 CBX in 96, it came with the sport kit bars. After
riding with the bars for the year, I set out to change to the higher and
hopefully more comfortable standard bars. The riding position wasn't
comfortable at slower speeds that are common in the New England backroads.

While I've been delayed in the completion of the conversion, I hope that
riding will be more enjoyable. I'd also hate to develop carpal tunnel syndrome
from too much weight on the wrists.

Ken

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Ebay CBX sports kit

Post by itsacbx »

Sorry boys, but Im a staunch supporter/user of the CBX Euro kit and I find the cowhorn style bars of the original cause the handling to be lazy and the front end to be vague.....there I said it....The high bars may be great on the freeways but not so much in the twisties.......
So if any of you have a set of low bars and any of the footrest/pegs parts you want to get rid of Im a buyer! Why you ask ? well my own 79 has the full euro kit and Im looking for the parts for a good friend who also wants to convert his 80. I have a gear lever and need everything else.
Thanks
Al

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ebay CBX sports kit

Post by NobleHops »

That has to be a record, necromancing a thread after 18 years dormant :-).

Al, post up a freestanding "wanted" post and I bet you find your parts. Have your wallet handy :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”