Membership by Paypal

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
JeffC
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

jeffc

Post by JeffC »

Gaaaaaaaaaah!!! Not the MTA!

VENTURERS!
--- Jeff Cranfill

http://www.relaxedhost.com

Webhosting for the rest of us!

Dave Krager #5383
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dave Krager #5383 »

DOH... DOH... DOH.... :crazy:

Tom Whaley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

RE: PP

Post by Tom Whaley »

Guy's & Gal's,

I got to go with Rip and SS on this one. I don't use automatic pay plans or direct check deposits of any type. I will at very rare times use a credit card over the internet like reserving motel rooms. If I can't send a personal check or a money order I just don't buy it. I still pay cash for my traveling expenses on the road. I even found out the hard way money orders are not all created the same :evil: It just dosen't make good sense to me to let others have access to your personal finances :!: The good part is even if the club decides to use PP or some other type of payment service we still can do it the old way :D
Tom Whaley

"aka" The Rocketman

Take care of your CBX's and each other.

Because a club is suppose to be fun. "TIM WARE"

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Damn, I never figured this question/suggestion would be so (involved). Tom says it best I think, "The good part is even if the club decides to use PP or some other type of payment service we can still do it the old way." I've been a PP (buyer) for many years and I like the service and convenience. On occasion, I've received funds thru PP and those transactions also went well.

I would vote (for) PP (it was my suggestion) for the convenience of it (and) to enable some of us so inclined to readily pay for our dues online with or without using a crecit card. This year I've already sent my check. I keep track of my expiration date.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

LOUIS MINTRONE

Paypal

Post by LOUIS MINTRONE »

I use paypal all the time. Most of the time people that buy CBX parts from me always use it. Never had a problem and thats in 4 years. But I always just have enough in that Paypal acct and never leave a large amount in there. I would use it to renew. LOUIS

LOUIS MINTRONE #5314

Post by LOUIS MINTRONE #5314 »

Does anybody know why or what I am doing wrong that I keep coming up as a guest? THANKS LOUIS

Dave Krager #5383
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Louis,

I think I can hook you up. Will contact you via email.

Dave..

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

PayPal.............??

Post by sr71cbx »

Hello all,
I read all the pro & con postings on the PayPal issue;I had used their services to receive payment on a part I had sold someone awhile back and they charged me $3.60 because the person paid with a credit card.I have since pulled the cash out of the account & closed it,as I felt that was unfair on their part to charge me for someone else's payment method. :crazy:
Just my $.02 on the deal---------take care & ride safe,
----------Mark Miller#0938 8)

cb1100f
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Membership by Paypal

Post by cb1100f »

Terry wrote:I don't like using a cc for everything over the net and Paypal seems like a great idea and very convenient, so why not? Any thoughts?
Let's put that in the form of a question!
[b]Glenn[/b]

'83 CB1100F , '82 CBX, '94 Wife

[url=http://cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1524][color=blue][b]Here's the CBF FAQs[/b][/color][/url]

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Membership by PayPal

Post by Jim-Jim »

Has anybody (with authority) actually contacted PayPal and determined the exact procedures and true costs of doing the membership renewal over PayPal? If the prior post of $3.60 per transaction cost is true, then I, for one, will be against it. The cost would far outway any advantage. After all, ICOA can process Credit Card charges for less (can't we?) and we still take checks by mail (don't we?). I don't want to see our treasury funds eaten up by $3.60/each renewal charges (if true).
Could one of our directors or Pres comment on this in an official capacity?
Jim-Jim

Dave Krager #5383
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

paypal

I don?t come from a position of authority but I can assure you that I am the only one in the club that even remotely has a clue what the hell is going on with the web effort and how membership is going to work so here goes.

First off I think we are starting to put the cart before the horse. Paypal is only 1 of several possible payment gateways that we "could" use. That does not mean we "will" use them. You can find rates listed on their site. I figure we are looking at about $0.38 per US transaction. Canada Mexico and overseas will be more but we already factor that in with higher dues for those areas.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ng-outside

Payment by check or bottle caps will not go away that has never been in the plan.
There is a mountain of work that still needs to be done before picking a gateway. We still have not decided for sure on the exact online store to be used yet. That 3rd store still needs to go up for testing. (me likes the first one best its kewl) I am about 99% sure what package I will be using for the membership module. George and myself just opened dialog on the front-end components that we will be using to tie this monster together. I already have 2 possible candidates online but I want to see what George comes up with so that we will be in agreement and working on the same page. (No pun intended) Once we have decided on all of the components going into the mix we need to tie them together as though they are one. Once that is done we can start considering payment gateways. The decision will be based on what gateway "can" we use. The choices will be slimmer since not all of the packages use the same gateways and we will be choosing between the few that they all share in common. Once we know which gateways we can use I will be working with Cissy to identify what works best for her from an accounting standpoint.

When we start looking at our present transaction costs for memberships and renewals we need to look at things from a more end-to-end perspective. Not only do we pay a credit card transaction fee. We also pay $1.50 for every entry made to the database. I assume that also means corrections and changes of address. If you look at the Master Card fees on the club financial statement do a little quick math factoring in the data entry fee. You will see that we are already doing a pretty good job of eating into our treasury fund.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Last edited by Dave Krager #5383 on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Krager #5383
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

BTW

I noticed in an earlier posting that I made the statement.
"One of our first tasks will be to pick the best payment gateway"
including the word "first" in that sentence was an oversight on my part.
since technically it is one of the last things that we must decide.
sorry if anyone might have gotten the wrong idea on that one.

Dave..

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”