Poor mistreated CBX…

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Poor mistreated CBX…

Post by NobleHops »

I swore off snarking on people’s for-sale posts, or so I thought, but this one is getting to me. I truly hope the seller is not here and doesn’t see this, but I feel like I need to vent, if only for the benefit of a potential buyer lurking here.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-honda-cbx-9/

There is so much that annoys me about this bike; the misrepresented mileage on the non-original gauges, the rattlecanned left handlebar, the missing reflectors and air caps on the fork, the mismatched wheels, the horrendous color not-match between the tank and fender and tail, the too-tight seat cover pulling from the tank, the mismatched fasteners, the lack of exhaust mounts at the rear, the chewed-on footpegs, the Chinesium pod filters, the chrome covers and and and and. I could go on and so could most of you.

I have 90% of what would be needed to un-@#$% this bike in my parts inventory, and I confess to feeling a little tempted to try and snipe it if it sells where it should, but if I did I think JoeInTuc would punch me in the dick. It’s a low-number example, one of the lowest I have seen, and seems worthy of saving.

AAAAAUGH!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Poor mistreated CBX…

Post by tevan »

It hit it on the head….lol

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

As long as a seller is not misrepresenting what they are selling I personally don’t have any problems with non stock items. If you the buyer are unable to determine what is correct it’s on you for not doing your due diligence. One thing about BaT is that most that stuff will get vetted out by the CBX EXPERTS. BaT has one of the highest regarded and knowledgeable CBX Experts known to man residing there don’t you know? :mrgreen:

But purposefully misrepresenting your bike or items for sale is unethical, unfortunately many of the sellers don’t know the history of what they have and what’s been changed in the last 45 years and are ignorant to the authenticity of the bike, this is when you the buyer need to protect yourself by being knowledgeable.

That’s why the ICOA and its resources are so valuable to any potential new CBX owner.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Would be interesting to know the engine #. Is it original to fit with the frame # range? It, then, would be tempting, as you mentioned, Nils. Otherwise ...... the ole "buyer be ware" Know what you're getting.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Chassis is #19, engine is #21. I would say this is the original pairing.
Nils Menten

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I missed that engine number, Nils. Certainly a match. Could be a good candidate for a major resto for someone. Long way from original, as you mentioned. A real shame that with those numbers someone mutilated the poor thing so badly. I would think that with all the 'mods' someone did, they could have added a few more $$ and done it right and had a gem.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I am going to be in San Diego for the weekend, and the bike is in east LA, and so I am considering bidding on it if it stays in the sane range, and bringing it home with me on Sunday. The bike has a ton of issues, but all well within our ability to rectify.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

The longer I look at that bike, the worse it is. Look at the photos of the left side, the lineup of the seat, tank, side covers and frame. The fork appears to be askance too. If I had to guess I’d guess the bike is significantly bent. It’s already too expensive, the high bidder is buying a can of worms.
Nils Menten

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

The first time I looked at the ad when Nils started this thread the only thing suspicious to me were the worn out rubber on the pegs and the left bar and controls badly painted, the rest of it except the 79 rims were very common modifications for the 90’s through the early 2000’s for people who rode their bikes and wanted a different look than stock.

Once the OEM exhausts started rusting out people began using aftermarket systems, the next logical step was carburation, pods and a jet kit or bigger jets and raising the needles on a stock airbox. The clear coat on the clutch cover was now getting cloudy and or chipping off, the cam cover and carb tops and bottoms were turning grey. The blinker stalks were cracking and drooping, the mirrors were looking outdated like Mickey Mouse ears. The Ceramic and specially coating industry was taking off, remember Airborne (sp) also a couple cottage chrome exchange businesses popped up. So people started modifying their bikes instead of looking for stock replacement s, most people just kept any OEM take offs so going back to stock was not an issue but some didn’t have the space or circumstances to hang on the stock OEM stuff.

I just hope there is a place for these CBX’s, they represent an important time in the evolution of the Honda CBX and the people who rode and loved them and kept them alive for the next generation of owners.

With Nils keen eye, it looks like there is a theme of possible damage to the left side of this bike. That seat looks like a reproduction cover, no trim on it either, might be why things look out of line, regardless the seat was replaced for a reason. Touch up paint on the frame is another red flag that would need an explanation, damage or just a bad attempt at a touch up.

This is one of the few auctions I have had any interest in, I’m curious on a couple fronts, either way it will tell us something about the current market.

Thanks Nils for bringing this here for discussion!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

It was well bought at $7,400. The more I looked at it, the worse it got. The headlight bucket had a crack at the left bolt, the bracket was bent on the right side. Everything steel that didn't get rattle-canned was rusty. The swingarm pivot bolt was too short and that's with the dust caps at the pivot missing. I suspect the rubbers missing at the front of the tank. Seat missing trim, original brake lines misrouted at the head, wrong master cylinders, fork dust seals cracked and splitting, ancient tires, dirtbike grips, wrong gauges showing the wrong mileage, should have been flagged as "total mileage unknown". He never showed under the covers, probably for a good reason, the wiring harness at the steering head was disintegrating. Chrome on the valve cover flaking. Paint match between the fender, tank and tail was poor. No hangar brackets for the exhaust at the rear footpeg, it was hanging solely from the studs at the cylinder head. Sidestand resting directly against the exhaust when folded, safe bet the centerstand did the same. Giant gap at the seat to tank, from a too-tight installation of a seat cover with no pad repair. The footpegs. The mirrors, the turnsignals. The crappy pods and the crappy running - "needs synchronization". Riiiiiight.

The bike is a turd as it sits, but worthy of restoration at $7,400. It would have been painful to see it go much higher, given its faults, and the unknown mileage. I certainly took my arrows for speaking up, but whatever.
Nils Menten

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I believe it landed where it belonged price wise, give or take a grand and that’s if it’s just a rider. If Nils is correct about his assumptions this bike would be costly to restore to the 25k range that some of theses are fetching. It certainly will be special with the low frame#, maybe the owner will show up here and keep us posted, invest in a complete restoration or ride it like you stole it?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I should have known better than to wade into that discussion, but I agree with you Jeff, it ended where it should have and maybe I helped that happen.

The question I’d kind of like to ask all the dudes that were throwing shade my way is simply this: If you thought the bike was so awesome and that I was so uninformed and out of line, why didn’t you bid it higher?
Nils Menten

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Typical mob behavior, you’re not taking the path of least resistance but bucking the BaT norm by being realistic about what you saw.

Most of the serious bidders aren’t even involved in the back and forth story telling and emotional filled replies, those are mostly coming from the peanut gallery.

Like I have preached here from time to time, quantity of posts doesn’t necessarily mean quality but can sometimes build cache with the uninformed.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

NobleHops wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:18 pm
I should have known better than to wade into that discussion, but I agree with you Jeff, it ended where it should have and maybe I helped that happen.

The question I’d kind of like to ask all the dudes that were throwing shade my way is simply this: If you thought the bike was so awesome and that I was so uninformed and out of line, why didn’t you bid it higher?
Nils you did the right thing telling everybody exactly the bad and the good on that bike. It needs a bunch of help to make it correct. I think the best thing with that bike was the low vin. It will be a can of worms for somebody. It sold for what it was worth. It will take several dollars to put it where I would have liked it.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Thanks, Terry.
Nils Menten

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”