National Motorcycle Museum

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

National Motorcycle Museum

Post by Larry Zimmer »

A sad day for our sport. National M/C Museum has announced they will be closing at the end of Summer.
https://www.kcrg.com/2023/01/29/nationa ... ans-close/
Auf Wiedersehen my good friend. Best wishes for the future. Thanks for the ride.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: National Motorcycle Museum

Post by daves79x »

Yes, heard that in Vegas last week. Sadly, I think it was in the wrong part of the country.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I know Mark Mederski, the museum curator (former AMA museum) quite well and he said, after John Parham passed away, his wife decided to get out of the museum. I don't know if she tried to sell it and did not find a buyer.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mark was an ICOA member in the early yrs of the club, he was the one who set us up at the first Mid-Ohio Vintage Days. Got us our own corral and secured the Honda Pavilion exclusively just for the club and that arrangement continued for free the next decade.

Both Museums struggled, the first museum was like a morgue, both times I was there we were the only visitors in the building. Here are all these machines that make the ground rumble and they’re sitting there quiet in a library, the atmosphere was sad like.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I do not remember a corral in 1995. First one I remember was the 30 yr anniversary in 2009 which we shared with the CB750SOHC 40 year celebration.
After that, the AMA let us have a spot in the infield, which the club booked for a couple of years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I don’t remember you being there for the first rally at Vintage Days, you would think I would have since I’m the one who worked with Mark to set everything up and hosted the event. Yes we did have a roped off corral that first year in the midfield in addition to the Honda Pavilion.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

And, sadly now, the Honda pavilion is also gone. ....."those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end".......... As the music went.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:47 pm
And, sadly now, the Honda pavilion is also gone. ....."those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end".......... As the music went.
I remember we had quite a turn out from the club members, a bunch of us stayed at the hotel right off of I71, some at the hotel in town (knights Inn)? and a few more camped at the track. I think we had 25 CBX’s in the parade lap around the track that afternoon!

Wes Anderson would always have some very nice bikes for sale in the swap meet area!

Larry you and a couple other members could always be depended on to lend a hand during all the Rallies, those rallies couldn’t have been pulled off without all the volunteers!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

First thing that goes is the memory. I was there, I had my 1979 and 1981 CBX in 1995 and I was a ICOA member. Member No 3904
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

"95 would have been about the time Dave Ditner brought his motorhome and cooked brats for us. I have several pictures of that crew, and of a young Tyler Bennetts.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:45 am
"95 would have been about the time Dave Ditner brought his motorhome and cooked brats for us. I have several pictures of that crew, and of a young Tyler Bennetts.
Here’s that little Tylor now, has his own little one, Oliver turned 4 weeks old today.
DDA30982-B806-4087-9435-02B312962308.jpeg
2ECF73FD-3288-460E-8290-E44BED48A398.jpeg

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 am
First thing that goes is the memory. I was there, I had my 1979 and 1981 CBX in 1995 and I was a ICOA member. Member No 3904
I guess some people are more memorable than others, like I said we had a great turn out that weekend and I was quite busy coordinating things and trying to enjoy the event with my good friends.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hey Rick or anyone else, do you remember the name of Ditner’s German Shepard he always had with him when he traveled in his motor home?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:12 am

I guess some people are more memorable than others,
Sure. Some people you remember for their personality and their knowledge, others for their skill of bragging about stuff they did in the past, with not much substance. I remember someone who did not miss an opportunity to badmouth the ICOA just after his good friend Mike Barone quit.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:31 am
Hey Rick or anyone else, do you remember the name of Ditner’s German Shepard he always had with him when he traveled in his motor home?
Dave's german shepard was "Dammit"
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”