Advice on buying a CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
JoeReid
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Advice on buying a CBX

Post by JoeReid »

I am offering for sale a 1982 Honda CBX that I have owned and ridden regularly for the past 13 years. It is the final year of production for this rare model 6 cylinder motorcycle. It has all original paint, and a few tasteful, reversible modifications such as a taller aftermarket windshield which reduces wind buffeting, a Corbin seat, the bags and mounts have been replaced with a turn signal relocation kit and a modulated headlight and stoplight. All the parts removed to facilitate these mods have been carefully stored and will be included in the sale. It also has the rare optional OEM dash mounted altimeter and ambient temperature gauges. Services performed in my tenure of ownership include fork rebuild, brake caliper rebuild, new organic brake pads, valve clearance and cam chain adjustments, new fuel petcock, new gas cap, new absorbed glass mat battery, new alternator bearings, brushes and clutch parts. The tires are Kenda Challanger K657s in the correct sizes, 100/90-19 front and 130/90-18 rear with plenty of tread. It has just had an oil and filter change as well as the sump inspected and cleaned and a new O-ring chain installed. All replacement parts are OEM Honda.

This bike has been ridden around the calendar (at least once per month weather permitting) and performs as well in 40 degree NJ winters (only on dry, salt free roads) and 90+ degree summers. It runs smoothly from idle to 9500 RPM under any load conditions, no surge, no pop, no flat spots. I attribute this to having the original induction system with OEM paper air filter, clean carbs with original jetting, a corrosion free fuel tank and an original exhaust system (the only one I’m aware of that has no rust holes and hasn’t ever been welded. It starts easily cold or hot and the choke can be turned off within a quarter of a mile.

The sale includes the complete original tool kit, many spare parts, a new OEM windshield for example, and special tools plus some original spares from a 1981 school bike I purchased with 13 miles on it.

This motorcycle is extremely reliable and can be ridden long distances, in comfort, with confidence.

I’m asking $15,000, or best offer, including the spares and my technical file, Service, Parts and Owner’s manuals, a complete original tool kit, as well as all the CBX books I have been able to accrue. Please call 908-766-7174 (no texts please) with questions or to make an appointment to see this unusual motorcycle.

The bike and I are in located about 30 miles west of New York City and I am retired so probably available at your convenience.

I would be interested in buying or trading for your Z900RS. What year and color is it?

Thanks for your consideration.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

Sorry guys for the delay, thanks all for your help. I've ridden the silver cbx i posted above, i had good sensations and the engine is sooo smooth. The owner told me that he's the 7th owner, he bought the bike in 2020 and since then he has changed the oil, the battery, tyres and the odometer which stopped working (replacing it with a Bol d'Or one). His mechanic has also adjusted the carburation and the valves. The tank has got on the top/ left side a little bump, luckily it's barely noticeable. The brakes has been upgraded with Bol d'Or 4 pots calipers and rotors, and the exhaust will be replaced by a 6 in 2 Marving's complete system (the owner will keep for himself the actual mounted exhaust). For the price, he told me that he can reach 10500 € which is not too bad right? The overall condition of the bike is great after all. Here are some other pics
20220609_194016.jpg
20220609_194019.jpg
20220609_194027.jpg
20220609_194009.jpg
20220609_194001.jpg
@Joe Beautiful bike you have mate, it seems new! I really hope to find a first version here in Rome tho. At the moment I have a Z900RS of 2018, the color is Candy Brown, it has 17000 km on it, i'm the 2nd owner.
Here you can find some pics:

https://www.subito.it/moto-e-scooter/ka ... 361268.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by loft1 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It seems like the bike is pretty well sorted. It does indeed have the Euro alternator. You will like the Marvings very well. It will add a nice look to the bike. The price is even better - that's about $11K USD. You'll probably look quite a while to find an equal bike for the money. BTW, if you get this bike, get in the habit of turning off the fuel anytime you part, especially on the sidestand.

Dave

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

daves79x wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:08 am
It seems like the bike is pretty well sorted. It does indeed have the Euro alternator. You will like the Marvings very well. It will add a nice look to the bike. The price is even better - that's about $11K USD. You'll probably look quite a while to find an equal bike for the money. BTW, if you get this bike, get in the habit of turning off the fuel anytime you part, especially on the sidestand.

Dave
Thanks Dave, yeah, i will do it. Do you think the Marvings will be much louder than the original ones?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If it is a true 1980 (may not be) it has a vacuum fuel valve and turning the petcock to off will not be that critical

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

It's a real 1980 model, this document seems to confirm it

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

"Seems" to confirm it, is a good way to put it. Without proper confirmation of the VIN number, I would not put too much money on it. This bike has obviously been worked on: Exhaust, brakes, shocks, body parts, instrument housings... what else has been altered from original condition?

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

EMS wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:33 pm
"Seems" to confirm it, is a good way to put it. Without proper confirmation of the VIN number, I would not put too much money on it. This bike has obviously been worked on: Exhaust, brakes, shocks, body parts, instrument housings... what else has been altered from original condition?

Nothing else that I know of, but i will inquire more about that

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

loft1 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:44 am
Sorry guys for the delay, thanks all for your help. I've ridden the silver cbx i posted above, i had good sensations and the engine is sooo smooth. The owner told me that he's the 7th owner, he bought the bike in 2020 and since then he has changed the oil, the battery, tyres and the odometer which stopped working (replacing it with a Bol d'Or one). His mechanic has also adjusted the carburation and the valves. The tank has got on the top/ left side a little bump, luckily it's barely noticeable. The brakes has been upgraded with Bol d'Or 4 pots calipers and rotors, and the exhaust will be replaced by a 6 in 2 Marving's complete system (the owner will keep for himself the actual mounted exhaust). For the price, he told me that he can reach 10500 € which is not too bad right? The overall condition of the bike is great after all. Here are some other pics
20220609_194016.jpg20220609_194019.jpg20220609_194027.jpg20220609_194009.jpg20220609_194001.jpg

@Joe Beautiful bike you have mate, it seems new! I really hope to find a first version here in Rome tho. At the moment I have a Z900RS of 2018, the color is Candy Brown, it has 17000 km on it, i'm the 2nd owner.
Here you can find some pics:

https://www.subito.it/moto-e-scooter/ka ... 361268.htm
Just from the pictures that looks like good deal, you can resell for considerably more later.
The value of these classics is climbing quickly don't gauge value by North American prices as they're undervalued here.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The VIN will be easy to confirm - shows 2001638 on the title. This would make it a fairly late Japanese production '80. Again, it is a pretty nice bike for the money.

The Marvings are very quiet, not much different than stock.

Dave

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

20220625_123505.jpg
20220625_122947.jpg
20220625_122911.jpg
20220625_122849.jpg
20220625_122837.jpg
20220625_122807.jpg
20220625_115708.jpg
Good evening guys, a little update. I've finally sold my Z900RS at 7500€, and now i have this dilemma. Should I buy the silver CBX we talked about at 10500 € or, would it be better the follow option:
-SC03 Black Cbx, 2 owners, engine totally cleaned two years ago, new tyres and rims, 39mm front fork and Bol d'Or rotors/calipers upgrade. There's some other modifications, like the Hornet's brake master cylinder and brake/friction silver levers, a 6-1 exhaust (which i would change immediately), the seat cover and the crankshaft covers. The owner would give me also a 1979 engine 105cv version, some OEM spare parts (including the OEM rims) and a new OEM fender, tank, rear fairing. Total price: 6000 € ! The owner is 76 years old, and made all the working/painting by himself on the CBX. One of the headers has a dent, but it wouldn't be an issue, given that i would change all the exhaust system.
Judging from the photos (the owner has also the original side covers which weren't put on that day), would it be a valid alternative, in your opinion?
Last edited by loft1 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I would go with the second bike just for the 39mm forks and boomerang wheels - but that's me.

In stock form, the 39mm forks are not likely much different from 35mm, but they have a bunch of options for upgrading to cartridge internals that aren't there for the 35's.

The boomerang wheels & tires are slightly different sizes from the stock wheels, and likely have no performance benefits, but IMO they just look way, way better. That's obviously subjective.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

The emulator kit from Race Tech for the 35mm fork that works well but so will the 39's with a cartridge.

I have the Bol d'Or boomerangs, the front is smaller than oem so there will be a handling difference and they are also lighter than oem. How much that all affects performance would depend on how hard it's ridden.

As an investment the 79' is more collectible and a good price, if you just want the appearance of an early year CBX plus a spare engine 6,000 is also a great price. A difficult decision.

You'll be happy with either.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

loft1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by loft1 »

@Phil I had no doubts that you would have preferred the second one :D
@Wyly you're right, it's a tough decision, but the advantage of the second one would be also that i can make it back to original with the spare parts he gives me. The owner has sent me also pictures of this CBX, before all the modifications (a part from the colour which is not OEM)
Last edited by loft1 on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If the blue bike and the black bike are the same one, and the OEM wheels you would get are the ones shown on the blue version, they are not original '80 wheels, they are from a '79. The bike is indeed an '80, and it should have had reverse black Comstars. Maybe a minor point, but thought you should know. BTW the exhaust on the blue bike is a Marving. Good luck making a decision.

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”