2 generic questions about the CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
zalle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2 generic questions about the CBX

Post by zalle »

Hi guys,

A couple of questions I've had for a long time:

US launch date? 1978 or 1980?

I've heard a lot of people saying 1978, but several sources say 1980, like the link in the forum:

http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12259

2nd question is: There's a lot of talk abou the CBX being the fastest and most powerful bike when it was launched.

What about the kawa 1300? Wasn't it on the road yet? Wasn't it 120hp?

Thanks for your comments

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 2 generic questions about the CBX

Post by daves79x »

The 'US' launch date was the same as everywhere - July of '78.

The Kawasaki six was not in production in 1978.

Dave

zalle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by zalle »

Thanks Dave!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As I recall, the CBX got its 1979 model designation due to some federal certification approval that wasn't passed soon enough to be a '78. After approvals, it had to go ass a 79. Anyone knowing more/better, please do sort me out.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am
As I recall, the CBX got its 1979 model designation due to some federal certification approval that wasn't passed soon enough to be a '78. After approvals, it had to go ass a 79. Anyone knowing more/better, please do sort me out.
Back then and maybe today as well it was normal for cars to be assigned to the up coming year, I can't recall if that was the case with the motorcycles and the cbx.

I don't know if a US federal certification would carry much weight elsewhere in the world.

The CBX was delivered to other countries in whatever form was required to pass local laws.

So I guess I wasn't much help answering the question :roll:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

I don't know if this helps but I had to race against one (4 hr. endurance race)
in November 1978. The red CBX was from a dealership in Midland Texas. It was
the first time I had ever seen one.

oops, I forgot I had already posted about the race in the review thread. :oops:
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Really don't know why this is even being discussed. Anybody who owns a US or Canadian bike which still has the riveted tag on the steering neck will see that the production date will be most likely be in 1978. At least for around 19,000 of the 24,590 1979 models. Also, we all know that almost all manufacturers - car or motorcycle - will start a "model year" around August of the previous year. With the CBX starting production in April of 1978, it would have been strange to call a 4 month production quantity a 1978 model and then start a 1979 model.
Consider that the 1980 CBX started production in Japan in June of 1979.
Also, anybody who is interested in history - maybe there aren't many - should know about magazine articles of the CBX dating to late 1977, with reports of bikes, albeit prototypes, being tested.
I wrote a detailed story about the history of the inline sixes - Benelli Sei, CBX, KZ1300 - and their development and timing for a private collector forum
The Kawasaki KZ1300 was first unveiled at the Cologne, Germany Show in September 1978, before the press were able to get their hands on the bike in November of the same year – at Malta for the Europeans and at Death valley, California for the Americans. And yes it had 120hp for the carbureted version and even 130hp for the FI model from 1984 on

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:03 pm
Really don't know why this is even being discussed.
Because this is a discussion forum, and you go on with three additional paragraphs, why don’t you take your on advice?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 am

Because this is a discussion forum, and you go on with three additional paragraphs, why don’t you take your on advice?
I know, you don't like to read, maybe your lack of a high-school degree prevents you from doing it, otherwise you may have realized that I hardly participate here anymore. The main reason are jackasses like you on this forum here...

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

EMS wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:14 pm
Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 am

I know, you don't like to read, maybe your lack of a high-school degree prevents you from doing it, otherwise you may have realized that I hardly participate here anymore. The main reason are jackasses like you on this forum here...
:o Is this what you mean by "tin tile ceiling riff-raff" ? With your permission I will come
to Jeff's defense. He can be critical and abrasive sometimes but I don't believe he called
you (or me) any names :(

People are asking and discussing this subject because they are interested. Being dismissive
of those seeking information is not "contributing " to the topic. :-|
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bobcat wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:50 pm

:o Is this what you mean by "tin tile ceiling riff-raff" ? With your permission I will come
to Jeff's defense.

bobcat: You have my permission to come to his defense. He needs all the help he can get.
I am sure we will hear from somewhere in the West soon too. There are several people who seem to have an axe to grind and don't miss an opportunity to speak up against anything I say.
We can also start a threat asking whether the CBX had a twin front rotor from the very beginning.... :violin:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

bobcat wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:50 pm
People are asking and discussing this subject because they are interested. Being dismissive
of those seeking information is not "contributing " to the topic. :-|
going off on tangent here but yes I agree because a topic maybe covering old ground doesn't mean it can't be discussed again. I've seen that criticism on other forums as well, a new member(or existing member) comes in and asks questions and older forum members are complain that it's old news and it's been discussed sufficiently. But for the new member who's curious and seeking new info it's all interesting they want to learn everything they can about their bike, I'm okay with that and if I have something to contribute I will and if another member steps up and answers then maybe not. If someone objects to discussion of older topics that are being rehashed they can move on and just refrain from commenting.

When I meet up with local vintage riders with 50-60 years riding and building experience there's always an exchange of useful information, regardless how long you've been riding there's always new information to be gleaned. And as long as I'm alive if someone asks me for info I'm always happy to share my modest knowledge and experience. :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly and bobcat:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. There will always be new members to a forum or to a subject that ask for info to increase their knowledge and these inquisitive minds should be helped. But this was the original question:
US launch date? 1978 or 1980?
I've heard a lot of people saying 1978, but several sources say 1980, like the link in the forum:
This question should not spark a discussion of more than what Dave said:
The 'US' launch date was the same as everywhere - July of '78.
The Kawasaki six was not in production in 1978.
Dave
it is like discussing if the 79 CBX was available in Candy Glory Red in Canada. :roll:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:42 am
This question should not spark a discussion of more than what Dave said:
but when have you ever been in a discussion with other enthusiasts that ever stayed on topic, one question leads to another and the topic drifts away from the original. It's what we do it's harmless chatter.
it is like discussing if the 79 CBX was available in Candy Glory Red in Canada. :roll:
Yes obvious to you and I but I've met a number of riders who believe my blue CBX was a '79 a factory option so some people honestly do not know.

Back in '78 I was given the option of black, red or silver and I chose Black only to have the dealer call and say black was no longer being offered. Then I've heard black was an option in Europe only, I don't know if that's true has anyone verified that it was? Maybe true maybe not there are unexplained oddities.

Gotta be nice not everyone is an expert I know I'm not, I'm wrong a lot.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

…”This question should not spark a discussion of more than what Dave said:”

Manomanoman….

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”