I can’t believe this :)

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

I can’t believe this :)

Post by AshishNJ »

1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: I can’t believe this :)

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Ashish I suggest you contact Roly Skate. I swapped a good set of CBX CV's bored out to suit my ported motor for a digital ignition and some dyno time and he may still have them. They had been restored by Old School in the US and I had receipts showing the previous owner had spent over $3,800 having them restored. They will work better than the stock CV's if you've had your head ported and polished.

I was approached at the race track over the weekend by yet another CBX street bike owner wanting to find out about my Bito CR Special round sides and again I gave him the spiel that they are for racing only. The stock CV's are the best option for a road bike for too many reasons to explain. They can be expensive so give Roly a call. He might still have mine at a sensible price.

Make sure you get the diaphragm on the fuel hose with the carbs. If the fuel tap leaks and you don't have the diaphragm you can end up putting a rod thru' the cases as occurred with a number of the early CBX's due to hydraulic lock caused by the fuel leaking thru' the semi down draft carbs into the cylinders.

https://www.autoyas.com/AU/Gruyere/3159 ... yno-tuning

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It appears those are school bike carbs someone just took off and offered for sale. $1500 tops. I have a nice VB64 set here I'll rebuild and sell you for that.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Anything with "CBX" attached to it, will be listed on ebay by non-CBXers for outrageous prices. They all think, the stuff must be worth its weight in gold. I have 14 sets of CBX carbs of all years on the shelf and I have sold a few to members here.
A bank will cost around $650-$800.- to have it redone, cleaned and new seals and O-rings installed. A bank that is in need of rework runs around $350.- for an 81-82 set, $400.- for a 1980 and maybe $450.- for a 1979. Although I personally would ask more for a 1980 set than for a 1979.
I believe that Wagner and his "oldschoolcarbs" is largely responsible for the obscene prices for CBX carbs.

Not for a CBX but even more outrageous is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193814871665?h ... SwutVfx-Sq

I am surprised the seller has this item still up. He must have received some comments from the community. As far as i am concerned, sellers like this should be banned from ebay.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

EMS I believe bought a set or two from you at a very reasonable price. I will be rebuilding them and keep them as backup. I was shocked to see prices online.
Dave. Thanks for the kind offer , I am good for now :)
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As for the carbs on ebay -- a fool and his $$ are soon parted. Check the latest Mecom Vegas auction: $25k ish for a stock nice '81. (And that is before fees) If you can get it, good for you! If you can pay it, good for you!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”