Sad news

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Sad news

Post by Rick Pope »

I got a call yesterday from another forum member, telling me Dave Ditner has passed. I believe there is no memorial planned. Hopefully, someone can shed more light on this.

RIP Dave.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sad news

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Condolences to his family.

A magazine article from a couple years that Dave was connected with.
His answers show his passion for The Big Six.
https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/clas ... /honda-cbx

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

R.I.P. Dave. My condolences to his family

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Dave's widow Susan called me Saturday to let me know of Dave's passing. From our conversation she said that Dave had passed away last Sunday, June 28th, unexpectedly. Susan was still at their winter home when Dave passed away at their Michigan home and main residence. Susan and his son Bob Ditner have been in Michigan taking care of the arrangements, Bob will be returning home in a week after preliminary arrangements are made and will be back to Michigan at a later date to finalize things.

There is no memorial planned for Dave but anyone wanting to contact Susan can PM me for her phone number. Susan and Bob wanted me to convey the great regard Dave had for his friends here and the memories that they shared with us over the years at the many rallies and gatherings they attended!

Dave was a good man, a man's man, I will miss him dearly but he will always be part of my life and great memories.

God's speed Dave.
Last edited by Jeff Bennetts on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Certainly sad news. Dave was always someone you wanted/hoped to see at a rally. Just a good person to be with. We will miss you, Dave. Thanks for the memories, my friend.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Here is a post his son Bob made on the ZRX forum where Dave has been an active member of for the past 20 yrs or so and a part time vendor of everything ZRX related, like us they grew to be very found of Dave and have some very nice things to say about him!

P.S. Dave's son Bob plans on keeping a few of Dave's CBX'es so his passion rides on!
From Bob, Dave's son.

"All - this is Dave’s favorite son Bob (I say that...true or not...because it pisses my brother off), not his ghost

Thank you very much for the kind words above. It means a lot, and because it’s so spot on, reading these represents the only time I lost my sh*t this past week. He was a great guy and would give you the shirt off his back, but you probably wouldn’t wear it because he didn’t shower a lot. Even though he passed on the tinkerer and DIY’er to me, he was the first one I called when I was stumped.

He ultimately passed from a heart attack at the tender age of 82, sudden and quick I can only hope, but was ailing the last 2-3 years. Medical Examiner also informed us that he had prostate cancer. I think he knew this but no one else did. In hindsight, his condition must have been worse than he led us to believe because my brother, who’s local, said he hasn’t ridden in the past 2 years, and that’s telling.

FWIW, I never thought he would exceed his Honda CBX passion, but he did...here with the ZRXOA. He loved that bike and he love this community and the 2-wheeled (non-gender specific of course) brotherhood he found here. Only a few years back he was bragging about ripping off a sweet wheelie, something the CBX does not do, and I could ‘feel’ the smile over the phone. He also very much enjoyed the little parts thing he had going. Yeah, he made a couple bucks, but it was about the personal attachment to bikes and bike folks more than anything else.

I am the new owner of his ZRX and am definitely keeping it. It’s on the scissor lift with the tank off, but I’m pretty sure it just needs pilot jets cleaned out from sitting. That said, she’s gonna sit there until I move back to MI in the summer of 2022.

The motorcycle world lost a good one for sure. He is and will forever be missed.

RIP and Godspeed old man.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave at a couple of Stockbridge Events. Condolences to his family.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Jeff, thanks for posting the message from his son on the ZRX site.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Here's my favorite motorcycle picture, it's been hanging on the wall of my office for close to 25 yrs. This was taken at the lookout of the newly opened Cherohala Skyway, near the Tail of the Dragon, mid-nineties during a week long CBX Rally. Dave, foundly know as (The old man) and I trailered down together and stayed at the Fontana TVA cabins along with a few of the other usual suspects. We had the Skyway to ourselves most of the week, it was like our own personal road course, I was in my mid 30's which would have made Dave in his mid 50's To see these older guys riding their butts off pushing those big ole CBXes around put a smile on my face from ear to ear.

I loved to listen to Dave's stories, from his engineering days for Ford to his early dirt biking days and everything in between.
This picture with Dave leaning to one side, with a cigarette hanging from his lips and a pair of cotton twill work pants says it all for me, he looks like he-could have just walked out of a John Ford movie!

I will miss him.
IMG_1011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is a picture of Dave during a "Stockbridge" meeting
Stockbridge2011a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

EMS, That was Dave and I talking about my CBX in Stockbridge. Thanks for sharing! -Mike G.

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Just found this thread. Sad news indeed. Privileged to have met Dave in Marlinton, a great guy full of knowledge and experience, always willing to share and help out. Condolances to his family. RIP Dave.
JP

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”