MRCBX.com

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

MRCBX.com

Post by Ringnalda »

:techie-typing: As some of you may have already noticed, my son Robby has been 'encouraged' to race a CBX a few years ago just to try it out. He had been racing a Yamaha R6 with his teammate Joby and they both had a race on Sweepings at Mid Ohio two years ago. Well they sort-of liked it, and many upgrades to suspension and tires later, and an additional bike, they both competed in the AHRMA series last year. This year was going to be better as we rebuilt some things over the winter and started the series at Laguna Seca. However then this Corona virus stuff started forcing us into lockdown and a lot of time was spent working on bikes right here at home. One thing led to another, and we now have an offering that may be of interest to CBX owners. MRCBX.COM has been established with a new website called http://www.mrcbx.com :text-link: , which outlines some of the stuff we now undertake, from finding or checking out bikes, rebuilding bikes, restoring bikes, just recommissioning bikes to racing bikes.

This is not a non-profit entity, so I have to ask the membership if there is a problem with me doing this as well as being the national director of the ICOA. I have been doing the director job alongside my regular job for some years, still a ways away from retirement from the main job, and I want to make sure that there is no perceived conflict.

On another note, after seeing some of the entries at Mecum last January, there have been some discussions about re-starting the club certification service, as some of those CBX offerings being described as 'original' and 'correct' were not, and any investor would not be happy to learn after spending many thousands of dollars that their new purchase is not as original as they thought. This will also affect the perceived investment quality for those people that are looking at investing in classic vehicles like the CBX. The ICOA is in the best position to offer a certificate of originality for motorcycles, and there are a number of people in the club that have the knowledge to be able to identify 'correct' parts from aftermarket or 'incorrect' parts. The originality aspect is what drives the investment market pricing, and therefore the ICOA can offer value in that sense.

Looking forward to discussion and responses,
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: MRCBX.com

Post by Larry Zimmer »

My vote --- all for it. With respect to offering professional services to forum members, I have no problem. As I see it, 'we' have a fair number of our members who offer services, of some nature, to members to enable perpetuating the CBX. That's good. 'Advertise' in the Resources section of the forum. That's why we have it. Tips and hints, etc. should be free -- as they are. BUT, actual work done, no problem with charging some fee. Nothing wrong with being paid for time; i.e., labor. One possible caveat: don't profit one parts unless there is labor involved for making them serviceable and/or cosmetically acceptable to the customer.

And, thanks for your efforts in office, Jan.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

I'm in total agreement with Larry. I see no conflict of interest whatsoever. I only wish you lived closer!
Vern

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Good on You, Jan! I just wish I were closer so I could check things out.
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Good on You, Jan! I just wish I were closer so I could check things out. :D
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Does anybody know if Bill at TIMS is still trading and Jan can you ship to Oz? Our postal service says the US postal Service is on the point of collapse after the Trump administration refused to re-capitalise it as a consequence of Covid. Very few freight flights as well and only for priority mail. Makes CBX life difficult.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Bill (Tim's CBX) is very much in operation although some inventory is low.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Bill Brint is still very much in operation as Nils said. He is quarantined like the rest of us so I am sure he is out enjoying 2 wheeled social distancing!

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thanks guys, my email must have gone astray.

I wonder if anybody has thought to put together details of all CBX's currently racing? I for one would be very interested to know how others are going and to share some technical details of modifications. By attempting to race these bikes I feel we are completing a project that Honda abandoned because there are so many relatively minor mods that can be made to improve the design and they are still fast by modern standards.

As an illustration, my times on my lightly modified CBX racer on a tight short circuit are the same as on my '09 race prepped 750 GSXR 750. At a flowing high speed circuit like Phillip Island the CBX should have the edge. Now that maybe just my age and infirmities talking but Roly had his racers percolating very quickly around some circuits that you would not think would suit the CBX. Times that would be good on a modern superbike. So I make the claim that they are fast, even by modern standards.

Roly Skate has now retirred his racers. James Fisher in the UK had a good season last year, especially at Spa, as it seems has Robby Ringnalda in the US. Bill Brint and his son get their racer out occasionally and there is me. We are in the process of re-opening our local track and if things continue to improve I hope to have my bike competing in the Australian Championship later this year (fingers and toes crossed).

I am not aware of any other current CBX racers. Is anybody else?

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Will Brint, Joby Maynard and Robby Ringnalda had a 1-2-3 finish at the Carolina Motorsports Park last year in the AHRMA Original Heavyweight class. There is an article about their efforts in the latest CBXPress.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Can you spare a link for an old digger?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”