How is everybody?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How is everybody?

Post by cross »

Glad to hear everyone is doing good,
I'm in San Diego, work in essential industry so been working half from home and half at the office. Also spent bunch of time working on my bikes and went on a nice ride last weekend.

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Three and a half years to retire. Will miss the money but hope there is honey on the other side of slavery. Looking forward to just doing what I want to, when I want. Love this forum. Enjoy reading it every morning.
Last edited by Michael Vidovic on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Hi everybody, like indicated above by many CBX friends, life could be worse and it is a blessing to be retired. I feel sorry for all the families whose life has been ruined by covid19, resulting in either loss of jobs, earnings, or worse loss of life in their families. Can’t wait for things getting back to normal, with open restaurants, bars, traveling restrictions lifted, weather in NC has been ok, able to take short rides , couple of hours max. Not taking chances, even if country re-open officially and prematurely, far from being out of the woods yet. All be safe.
JP

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Indeed, JP, this mostly retired thing is a good gig! Just hoping we can do some meaningful 2-wheeled traveling this Summer. e are hoping to be able to do the Fall rally in Marietta. Obviously, don't have anything definitive, yet. Stay well.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by solarmoose »

Covid19 not as rough on us Alaskans since social distancing is default lifestyle. Fairbanks (my home town) has 63 confirmed cases but has held at that number for two+ weeks. 344 statewide out of a total population of 750,000 or so. The state is now cautiously calling people back to work. Great! Wife and I are both retired so life isn't much different for us but have several family members laid off from work and more may be if things don't pick up. Its good to hear how all of you are doing. My driveway/road is almost dried out enough to get bikes out. YAY!
back to work
david

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Thanks for this thread, Phil! It's good to see that everyone's doing ok here. As I'm involved in agri-business, we're hammer down as always in the spring. BTW, hardly anyone in agriculture here wears a mask...last week we had a customer in our store with a mask, and after they left, one of our employees said, "I thought we were being robbed...the mask and all." Funny how paradigms and be so different! :)

Although my family's all good, my CBX remains in quarantine...an effort to do some deep service in Feb. has turned into a major refurb. So far I've straightened out the carbs, redone the alternator with brushes, bearings, a seal, and drive plates from Nils, serviced the head with new stem seals, brakes completely rebuilt...all while waiting on a resolution to bad cylinder bore issues. Mike Nixon has my cylinder block and is fitting Wiseco pistons and I'm hoping to have them back soon. What I first thought was going to be a couple of weekend's worth of service has become a major overhaul. My (latest) goal is to have her back on the road by Memorial weekend...or maybe July 4th. Blessings to everyone here...oh, and a great big "Thank You!" to Larry for all his work on the forum!
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

A little update from my side: in my original post starting this thread, I noted that holding down 2 full-time jobs and caring for 2 young kids was a constant scramble - we hit our limit late May and by mid-June I was on leave to care for the kids. Giving up one income (and having to be away from work at a somewhat critical time) definitely brought its share of stresses, but about 3 months as the primary caregiver of our 2 year old and 5 year old was really rewarding.

Our daughter is back in daycare now, and school for our son is supposed to resume next week, so I'm planing to get back to work fairly soon. Even though this mess has killed any chance for doing some of the stuff I had hoped to do for myself this year - and there's still a ton of uncertainty, I'll always be glad for the time spent with the kids at this age.

Anyhow, I still have another big round of upgrades and fixes planned for my CBX, can't wait until the dust settles and we're back to having the time and resources to take stuff like that on!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

What this pandemic has exposed in Oz is the fragility of our democracy and the effects of globalisation.

Living on a State border where on one side my fellow club members are out racing at the track and living life as it was b4 while on this side 15 minutes away we cannot leave our houses without one of 4 essential purposes courtesy of the second wave. The contrast is extreme. Normality just over that invisible line and ghost towns on this side. And not a single positive case within cooee of this remote part of the world makes it all seem absurd but I'm glad I don't live in Melbourne.

Federations are a dubious historical model that now seem outdated and archaic. A century of centralism evaporated in a paranoid flash. The second wave brought to us by globalisation, the casualisation of the workforce (particularly in aged care and health) and labor recruitment from the cheapest and poorest countries to do the jobs Ozzies eschew. Does this sound familiar?

Anyhow, its given me plenty of time to fiddle with the CBX. My latest mod an extendable, span adjustable clutch lever has finally exceeded the limits of the length of the CBX "sport" cable (for Oz models - too long) and either a custom cable or hydraulic conversion is now in the offing.

Thanks for this thread Phil. Its encouraging to hear how people in different parts of the world are coping with this virus and I'm glad you've gained some time with the family even if it had to come at a financial cost. I've stopped looking at my investments.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:20 am
Anyhow, its given me plenty of time to fiddle with the CBX. My latest mod an extendable, span adjustable clutch lever has finally exceeded the limits of the length of the CBX "sport" cable (for Oz models - too long) and either a custom cable or hydraulic conversion is now in the offing.
If you're willing to use mineral oil for the clutch and source a Magura master cylinder, Magura makes inexpensive conversion kits for dirt bikes that others have successfully fit to the CBX.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I've been looking at a Clake. The Magura kit is cheaper but is not listed as compatible with the CBX. Presumably somebody has modified one but the question is, which one? Do you have a link or any further info?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:01 am
I've been looking at a Clake. The Magura kit is cheaper but is not listed as compatible with the CBX. Presumably somebody has modified one but the question is, which one? Do you have a link or any further info?
I bought my stuff based on what I learned here, but I haven't had it installed and validated yet so I can't share any firsthand experience.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

Living in Ontario, we get to stay at home, and only leave the house for exercise, groceries, pretty much stay at home unless leaving for an essential. Being retired for a few years now, I have spent a lot of time in the doghouse, the garage that is, gives me lots of time to work on the bikes. The 82 CBX is almost complete, only the non working LH horn to address. Life goes on.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Doin’ ok, I guess. Not complaining, there’s folks far worse off than my family, but just can’t seem to shake off the blues☹️
Just finishing some home renos I started in the fall, and then finally get to play around with some bits I picked up for the mighty ‘X’. I had forgotten how calming it can be tinkering out in the garage.
Only managed something like 6,200km. last year. What with the US border crossing being verboten I couldn’t explore any of my high-mileage loops. My hour meter only showed 96.6hrs.
Good to hear most folks here are getting along in fine form. My heart goes out to those struggling with the new ‘normal’.
Heard a good quote the other day. “Seems like the statement ‘when things get back to normal’ is starting to sound a lot like ‘when I win the lottery’ “.
Lads (and lassies) be strong in spirit, stay safe, and remind the ones you cherish of how much they mean to you.
Mike C.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

It's been a rough year, I've worked only three shifts since covid arrived. We've avoided covid keeping to ourselves but the mrs couldn't avoid an emergency cancer surgery in June. Just completed 6 months of chemo sessions with another surgery coming very soon, avoiding covid is doubly important now.

Any kind of normal seems a long ways off, surgeons offer some hope for the mrs winning her war, I have a few more work shifts are coming my way and we have a new grandson.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”