10% tax for Australians

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

10% tax for Australians

Post by sixinoz »

I recently ordered some parts from Partzilla and was advised the 10% tax charged was for Australian sales tax.
Since the Australian tax office has no jurisdiction in the USA and is totally unable to force USA suppliers to collect their tax, I regard this as a ripoff as there is no way to ascertain if this tax is actually paid to Australia.
I will no longer use Partzilla and advise Australians to check whether USA suppliers are charging this tax.
Partzilla is the first I have come across so far.
Must have forgotten about the Boston Tea Party.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: 10% tax for Australians

Post by Louis »

I just called Ebay and yes they are charging tax now in 39 states, so when a seller is selling a item and the buyer is in one of these states that want there tax money you will be charged. I guess it even other countries have to pay as well. And by the end of the year all states will be part of it. Sucks for the buyers for sure.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Ebay started adding the tax in Nov. 2019.
I get purchases shipped to New York State and they are one of the States that does collect.
Even worse, recently i was required to pay import duties into Canada on a small item and the ill-informed Customs Agent tried to charge the fee on the entire purchase including the State tax. It would only have been a small amount but after a LONG wait they decided the State tax would not be included in the total.

cbx1956
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbx1956 »

You are not alone bud; from 01 December 2019 15% VAT is added to all overseas online purchases by New Zealanders using Ebay, Aliexpress, Alibaba & 1000's of other businesses which the government have been clever enough to rope into tax collecting arrangements. It's a curse however there's no way out of it. Don't blame Partzilla- they are only doing what they're obliged to do

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

My beef is that I have checked to see if the USA businesses are registered with Australia and are actually paying the tax collected from Australians to Australia.
So far I have found none are registered which indicates they are collecting the tax but not paying it across. Nice 10% bonus on their sales.

Chrisorg
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Chrisorg »

We're in this together, my friend. And we are all disappointed. But from 2019, a 15% VAT is charged for online orders from online stores. At the beginning of 2020, I was about to fall into the trap when I planned to order an expensive electric guitar. Respectively, the VAT I had to pay was going to be relatively high. Luckily, I wanted to pay it with my ThePayStubs account, and I was informed about taxes. That's when I decided I'd better buy a guitar straight from a store.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”