Best Photos of Your CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Best Photos of Your CBX

Post by wyly »

Rick Pope wrote:Simply fitting braided lines and HH pads does wonders, even leaving all else original.
I did the lines and pads first as well, while better was still seriously lacking. I made the parts swap and the improvement was considerable with cb750f upgrade, it now has stopping ability comparable to my '84 GS1150ef.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Amgcbx
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Amgcbx »

I would like to take a minute to introduce myself. Mike G from Brooklyn N.Y and I am the original owner of this 79-80 X
Bought the bike new in 1980 after wrecking a new 750F. At some point soon after the obsession took hold and went big bore, carbs, cams, connecting rods etc.1100F pieces as well. The 80 motor is in a 79 frame ........ that's another story. (have the 79 stock motor also)The photos here were taken in 1993, the last time the bike ran, so I got the bike itch again two years ago, realized this bike needed much more than I thought to run again and bought a new Yamaha MT09. Fun bike but no X so here I am........... and need some help!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Nice bike, nice selection of parts. It will be worth the time and money just for the smile it will put on your face.
How is the inside of the tank??
There is a treasure trove of information and inspiration to be found here.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Mike.
I bet that was a fun bike to ride.
Smoothbores and velocity stacks? You're a brave man.
If they need a rebuild Z1Enterprises carries a good selection of parts.
https://www.z1enterprises.com/catalogse ... smoothbore

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

Thanks for the quick response and the welcome Phil!....... I was a club member back in the early 80's for a bit and that's where I probably got some of the inspiration as well from a fellow member from bklyn no longer with us.
Have some parts laying around and only wish now that I had the room and patience to hold on to all my old stock stuff. I sealed the tank 35 yrs ago due to rust/carb issue ..... Filled the tank for long term storage( much longer than planned) and the tank is done I'm almost positive, Major rust and sealer failed drastically after storage......found a guy in Florida who said he can fix any tank but I am skeptical...... and heard the prices of used tanks..... 900$!!!!!!!!!!!!! The brake calipers/masters... Locked up....tires done you get it. But I want it running .....BAD!!!!!!! Miss it.... Some history in the streets of bklyn with this bike....

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

I have some recent photos of th new garage and the recent work being done on my X...... don't know how I let it sit for so long!!!!! But it sure is etched on my soul! Yes it was a blast to ride!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

More and more owners are recommissioning their CBX's from decade slumbers. They are like tiny time capsules being opened, I have a great appreciation for the period they represent, they remind me of the fun we had while riding them.

Come back often!

Jeff

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

What Jeff said. That bike brings back memories of when we dozens of similar machines show up at rallies.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Amgcbx wrote:Filled the tank for long term storage( much longer than planned) and the tank is done I'm almost positive, Major rust and sealer failed drastically after storage......found a guy in Florida who said he can fix any tank but I am skeptical......
Probably the best tank lining service out there. If I needed one done this would be the place to send it.

http://gastanklining.com/index.html
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

jt wrote:
Amgcbx wrote:Filled the tank for long term storage( much longer than planned) and the tank is done I'm almost positive, Major rust and sealer failed drastically after storage......found a guy in Florida who said he can fix any tank but I am skeptical......
Probably the best tank lining service out there. If I needed one done this would be the place to send it.

http://gastanklining.com/index.html
I concur with JT. If there is anyone that can save your paint and tank, it is GTL in North Hollywood, California. I have had a years long relationship with them and they are the best. I have seen several of
Jay Leno's Brough Superior tanks in there for the treatment. On the other hand, they are not cheap, just good. They have a web site that may be worth looking at for you.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

Thank you JT and Phil for the contact info I spoke to Tony at gas tank lining today and feel confident in his services will check out his website and come up with a plan to possibly save my tank!! That will be a big hurdle to cross and then fuel delivery.... from what I remember, it never ran as good as stock carburetor wise at low speed/ light to light.... mid to wide open was delightful !!!!!

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Amgcbx wrote:Thank you JT and Phil for the contact info I spoke to Tony at gas tank lining today and feel confident in his services will check out his website and come up with a plan to possibly save my tank!! That will be a big hurdle to cross and then fuel delivery.... from what I remember, it never ran as good as stock carburetor wise at low speed/ light to light.... mid to wide open was delightful !!!!!
Yes, I also use the same smoothbores on mine and tried different jetting options over the years, same conclusion.
It will never run as smooth as a well tuned set of stock Keihin in normal riding conditions, especially when traffic is involved...But for open road, track etc... they do make a significant difference from 5 k and up.
Takes a lot of patience to find the sweet spot or “best compromise “ for normal road usage.

Nice bike you have, good upgrades, worth taking the cobwebs off it... what exhaust is on?
Enjoy riding it again!
JP

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

thank you xtra six my memory is pretty good and the bike ran like a raped ape from mid to upper but we never got it right for heavy traffic and heat ..... could be timing also...
That is a D@D pipe by the way.... distinct sound ! No baffle, I was 20 yrs old then.... and still need to make a bit of noise 40 years later!!!!!

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

You know...... I must say that in 1978/79 I was 17 years old and slightly impressionable.
I blame Cycle World Mag. for not having a bone stock CBX today......that article on the 750F probably lit my fuse!!!!!
(does anyone see the resemblance in style to my X. ???

Amgcbx

Post by Amgcbx »

.........Fastest bike we’ve ever tested.....

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”