Best Photos of Your CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Best Photos of Your CBX

Post by shiskowd »

Steve - last mountain shot, promise :D

2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Better not be the last one! :D

Sure, add in a mountain stream, gotta be tough concentrating on the road at times.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

shiskowd wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:58 pm
Steve - last mountain shot, promise :D

Highway 40 opens for the summer season tomorrow, even more opportunities for mountain shots.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

When you're producing shots like that, the promise should be to keep 'em coming!!!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :text-coolphotos:
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

The only gripe I have about this thread is that it makes me miss riding my bike, and makes me feel like I don't know how to use a camera. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

2020 and 2021 have turned my life on it's head and I don't 2022 will be any better, I didn't get out riding nearly as much as I would've liked. An abnormally long summer provided an opportunity this week and maybe next as well before I put the Japanese ladies away for the winter.

Apologies for a less than spectacular photo I haven't much patience for photos, I rarely remember I have camera in my phone. I'll try harder next time.
october 2021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

2020 and 2021 have turned my life on it's head and 2022 won't be any better, I didn't get out riding nearly as much as I would've liked. An abnormally long summer provided an opportunity this week and maybe next as well before I put the Japanese ladies away for the winter.

Apologies for a less than spectacular photo I haven't much patience for photos, I rarely remember I have camera in my phone. I'll try harder next time.

october 2021.jpg

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

My project CBX Streetfighter nearly done...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

A couple of pictures of my Special. Engine by Carl Woodcock, Frame mod by Jim Zemanek, Paint by Petar Brown. Concept was mine.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That is a gorgeous bike, Jan.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

An ELF swingarm conversion and if I'm not mistaken its' from a Honda NC30 and it looks like the little Honda France plaque is still visible.

This should shorten the wheelbase and make it turn quicker but it might be a bit tricky opening the throttle on corner exit if the geometry is not spot on. Going to 17's = reduction in clearance so I'd be careful leaning it over too far or risk levering the front wheel into the air on the crank end caps.

How does it ride Jan?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

So I roughly measured the swingarm comparison between the NC30 single sided with the only slightly modified stock rear U fork on my Prolink.

To my surprise, the NC30 arm is only between 10-20 mm shorter (530-5 mm) than the Prolink (550 mm). The width at the swingarm pivot bolt is also remarkably similar at around 220 mm.

However the NC30 alloy beam frame is much stiffer at this point than the CBX. Given that most custom bikes are focused more on appearance than performance it can be seen that the single sided ELF swingarm modification should be relatively straight forward. While I did not measure the swingarm bolt it looks to be interchangeable as well. The geometry can easily be adjusted by playing with shock length and dogbones so my only question is whether there is any difference in frame stiffness at the pivot?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

And looking at the pics above again I see that the alloy foot peg hanger through which the pivot bolt runs has indeed been very neatly braced.

Other questions relate to the loss of ground clearance and how this was addressed. The length of the USD front forks in particular and the steering head angle.

Other than that, if it were mine I would replace the straight bank of CR Special carbs with a 'V' bank of FCR flat sides and the exhaust with a 6 into 2 for improved harmonics. The Nissin calipers are quite good but better mated to a Brembo master cylinder altho' maybe this has already been done - I can't see. Interesting custom Jan.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Of course it could also be an arm off another model VFR too but it has got me thinking.

The cut off date for our P5 Unlimited Historic Race class is December 1982. Now Honda commenced their relationship with ELF in the late 70's and French engineer Cortanza developed the single sided swingarm prior to this but Honda used his single sided swing arm design in their World Endurance racers from 1981-83.

In other words, the single sided swing arm was homologated prior to December 1982 and should therefore be allowable under our historic race rules. Now you have really got me thinking Jan. Being able to change the back wheel in 2 minutes flat in the pits is a big incentive and the wheel alignment is never an issue with the single sider. Plus, I can accommodate a wider tyre which will help with getting the power down with a full race motor.

I just happen to have a spare NC30 swing arm. What have you started...?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”