CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I applaud your environmental concern Phil but for the amount of time I'm running it the impact will be almost negligible compared with all the monster trucks everywhere. If it was a registered roadster I would definitely leave it in place because apart from the more significant pollution from a longer service life, it is also a breach of the road rules to remove it.

The weight is one downside of the cat. Over 8 kg, plus the space it takes up that makes fitting a fairing virtually impossible. That and the heat they generate. My 750 GSXR had a glass fairing under the cat when I acquired it and it was blistering and also necessarily so low as to cause clearance problems when using slicks. Once I got rid of the cat and reflashed the ecu with Woolwich software I had more power, 140 rwhp, a lighter and cooler running bike and I was able to cut and refashion the fairing for more ground clearance - all very important for a track bike.

I have a simple $30 Chinese connector pipe on the way and do not think removal of the cat will detrimentally affect performance. The O2 sensor is upstream of the cat. The EFI should adapt to any reduction in back pressure. Ideally, I would fit a power commander and a different O2 sensor to richen the already lean stock mixture for an extra 5hp and a cooler motor but those mods cost well over $1K and I can't justify that just for a track bike. If I was racing it then, yes, I would spend the extra dosh and do the job properly.

As always, I'm a bit nervous about the Lump. I have to take more care with the batteries. Start on one and then quickly switch to the other to run the coils. I'm still not happy with the electrics and wish I'd pursued the coil over plug conversion a bit harder.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Make that closer to 12 kgs, after weighing it. Having ordered a link pipe from China it arrived very promptly yesterday. I spent half this morning pulling the thing off but it turned out they sent me the pipe for a 690 Duke and not the 701. So I then I spent the rest of the morning putting it all back together again, in the process losing one of the V clamps. After searching everywhere I could think of and thinking I was going mad I found it sitting under the scales where I had weighed it.

Half a day wasted because I tried to save a few pennies rather than just taking it to the local exhaust guy who did my GSXR decat without any dramas. Sometimes, it pays to stay in bed and do nought!

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

It seems hard to believe that it is nearly 9 months since I last raced the Lump and that it has been patiently sitting under a sheet ever since.

After my usual pre-race preparation of changing all the fluids (engine, brakes and forks) and making sure everything was running OK we took the bike out to the track last weekend for a shakedown. That was a let down! Leaking oil from the crankcase breather bottle, leaking fuel from a quick connector and yet again, lithium battery problems. I have mentioned many times that I run 2 of the most powerful lithium phosphate batteries that I can get connected by a switch so I can start on one and then have a back-up. One is a nearly new 720 cca Motocell and the other is a 20 cell Antigravity battery of similar power. Both are rated at over 30 ampere hours and have a full BMS and both failed. I should also explain that I don't use an external roller starter because if you miss a gear or somehow stall the motor out on the track you cannot get started again. Have you ever tried push starting a CBX?

After fully charging both I tried using one to start the bike and then switching to the other just to run the coils. That seemed to work and I finished about 7 or 8 laps with no dramas. OK re-charge and go back out after a break and the weather is getting hotter. This time using the identical procedure I only get 3 laps b4 it conks out. Switch to the other and at least get back to the pits where I call it quits and pack up, feeling well and truly shaken down.

Back in the workshop I ditch the biggest LiPo battery even tho' it seems to pass a carbon rod load test because I know it cannot predictably sustain a load for any useful time. So, being thoroughly over lithium batteries now (especially after all the fires they seem to be causing and difficulty finding anybody that will accept them for recycling or as waste) I simply cannot be bothered with them for use in a total loss environment. Finito! Raus! Molucca! And bye bye.

I have replaced the LiPo with a 21 ah AGM Motobat that is full of lead and weighs in at a hefty 6.5 kgs. Hopefully, it will have a more useful life, at least until I can find somebody to help me re-design the primitive CBX coils with modern low resistance coil over plugs and some way of eradicating the wasted spark. I have also redesigned the 2 crankcase breathers and catch-tank and pulled the carbs off, replacing the #62 pilot jets with #65's. After setting the airscrews at 1.5 out and leaving the mainjets and needles, it seems to run OK in the workshop. It appears to have eradicated the slight lean-ness off a closed throttle that the Colortune plug identified. I won't know for sure until I get back on track on Friday for free practice b4 the Classic. I have also entered my rather neglected NC30 because my demanding and somewhat spoiled lump of a CBX takes up all of my time, yet again.

On a more positive note, I managed to lap a few admittedly fairly slow track day superbike riders within a 6 lap session when the Lump was running. And having lifted it up so far that the chain is now resting on the nylon guide on the swingarm when I push it around the workshop, nothing showed any sign of touching down. We will see how we go in the races. Some nice bikes entered too including a Dr Wintner Guzzi, a VEE Two and some Bimotas

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 am
I have replaced the LiPo with a 21 ah AGM Motobat that is full of lead and weighs in at a hefty 6.5 kgs.
I understand not wanting to go with a roller starter, but how about using an external batt in the pits for your start so that the batt running the ignition will have a bit more headroom during the session?
Hopefully, it will have a more useful life, at least until I can find somebody to help me re-design the primitive CBX coils with modern low resistance coil over plugs and some way of eradicating the wasted spark.
To eradicate the wasted spark, you'll need some form of cam angle sensor or a crank angle sensor paired with a cam phase sensor. Lots of people have done trigger wheels for CBXs for EFI conversions, it doesn't seem that tricky. For a cam phase sensor, the least invasive thing you could do is a MAP sensor on cyl 1 to detect the intake stroke on that cylinder - this is what I intend to do for my conversion so I can run sequential injection instead of batch. You'd need some kind of signal conditioning or logic to turn that MAP signal into a cam phase signal, but I suspect that would be easier and more reliable than adding some kind of wheel and/or sensor under the cam cover.

Another option that nobody ever talks about is designing a planetary gearset that would install in place of the stock signal generator and run at 1/2 crank speed. I strongly suspect that the reason nobody ever talks about this approach is because it's gross overkill to the point of absurdity. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Not absurd but not the most straight forward either. I was thinking of using the tacho drive off the rh exhaust cam but then I would need a sturdier mounting position than the cam cover. I still haven't found a set of 6 coil over plugs to mate to my Ignitech ignition. I'm advised that Ignitech did do them for a while but so far I haven't had any luck finding a set.

Another race means another grand's worth of tyres and oil. In the case of the CBX I now use a Pirelli SC1 120/70 front slick and a 160/60 Pirelli SC2 slick for the rear. I now have the swingarm at such a rakish tilt that it is making my rear stand slide up the swingarm and I may have to install bobbins. The angle is determined by the extra length in the rear shock absorber in the search for maximum ride height and ground clearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here you can see the angle of the arm if you turn your device around. For some reason this site does not like my mobile phone pics and turns them on their ear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

We are now ready to do battle again altho' the way this site presents the Lump, it looks like we are heading for the moon.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:58 am
I was thinking of using the tacho drive off the rh exhaust cam but then I would need a sturdier mounting position than the cam cover.
I've thought about that, too - but what would you sense? Maybe you could weld & grind the drive to give a single tooth that could be picked up by a Hall effect sensor, but I'd get nervous about setting up vibrations in the valvetrain by doing that.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yes, all a bit too problematic but I've decided I've come to the end anyway after crashing again in the Classic for the 2nd year in a row.

Yet again, I was nerfed off, this time in the crowded 500 race. I stood it up and managed to get back on the tarmac but when I opened the throttle the rear wheel, covered in gravel, spun up, snapped around and high sided me into the following pack. Then I was run over by a Ducati TT 2 and apparently another guy barely missed my head. I landed like a sack of potatoes and was out for a while and they thought I was cactus until I came around. Then there was a rather surreal trip to hospital with suspected spinal injuries.

They did head to toe scans and various tests b4 declaring me OK and sending me back to the track with only contusions, abrasions and extensive bruising. I have now been described as "doing a Bagnaia" because he high sided and was run over by a Ducati in the penultimate race at the end of last season only to return the following week with mere bruising to surprise everybody and win the title. However, no title for me, just a lot of pain and upset caused to others and in particular, Fran.

The Lump ran brilliantly in the one race I did on that b4 my crash on the 400. The new jetting is spot on and just as good as EFI and the heavier battery kept me going without missing a beat. I just lightly grazed the crank ends once chasing a 150hp GSX1100 when I was a bit too tired to get off the seat and it looks and sounds fantastic. Now is the time to call a halt b4 I wreck it, myself or my relationships altho' I can still do ride days and I could even put the Lump on Club plates and enjoy it without torturing the thing.

I'm typing this sitting up covered in bloody dressings and a leg that is killing me so I will post some pics from the Classic when I'm feeling a bit better.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Oh man, Rick. This is a tough read, knowing how much blood, sweat and tears you put into your dream. I understand generally about the itch, and why you had to scratch it later in life - I took it up at age of 39 and only raced two seasons, but it was important to me, as I know it was to you. You made us all proud with your hard work and determination. If this is really a transition moment for you, I hope you will feel fulfilled. Thank you so much for taking us all along for these last few years. And most importantly, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Very sad news. Hope you feel better soon and heal well.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I am so sorry to hear of your crash Rick. I have followed your exploits for quite some time. There does come a time to slow down and smell the roses. It will make the home life easier. Club riding sounds good. From my old rodeo days, " There isn't a horse that can't be rode nor a man that can't be throwed." My very best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That's too bad, Rick. Hopefully your recovery is quick and uncomplicated.
A small silver lining but glad The Lump had an excellent outing.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sometimes the best thing we can think of saying is "I'm glad it wasn't worse". It sounds brutal but I'm glad I'm reading your report and your own decision to hang it up rather than an update from a distraught loved one telling us where we can send flowers.

Thanks so much for all of the interesting, entertaining, and frankly inspiring stories!

Do you think you could find someone to do a good short documentary type of video about your experiences racing the CBX? Have you ever watched Petrolicious? They have done some stuff in Australia, and featured one pretty uninteresting CBX:

Cool Australian RX-2

Boring CBX with leaky carbs

I would really love to see what their crew could do with a machine and personal story like yours.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. One aspect of my decision deserves a little more explanation seeing as how this whole thing essentially started out as therapy for a stroke.

I had started the races with a definite plan. The 400 was sub-optimal with a grabby clutch so my plan was to start at the back of the grids in the P6 500 races. I've been hit from behind too many times to risk a chewed up clutch basket off the line. I would focus on the Lump that had new jetting, crankcase breathing and ride height. The 400 I would just ride around at the back, dicing with whoever was available.

That plan went out the window when the lights did and after everybody moved over to the right for a faster entry into Turn 1. They were virtually line astern and slowing each other down. That left a huge hole up the inside and impulsively I shot up the inside and then almost on the T1 inside ripple strip stomped on the brakes dragging the rear to turn it and passing 2/3's of the field in one corner. From then on I was a mad man elbowing my way thru' the field. Trying to go up the inside again at T3 I had the door slammed hard on me forcing me to take the long way round. That is always risky because if you are wide and get pushed further out you are then off track and that is exactly what happened.

I stood it up and looked for the shallowest lip of the bitumen to cross and re-join so as not to lose the front but then once back on the black I made a silly error and gave it too much throttle and with dirty tyres it just spun up, snapped around and high sided me into the middle of the pack of riders I had so recently passed. That crash started in reality when I abandoned my original plan. My crash at the same event the year b4 on the Lump was the same. An impulsive and careless attempt to seize an opportunity that was always risky. Such a lack of emotional control is dangerous and it all goes back to the stroke.

One of the least discussed and common effects of a stroke is emotional lability - a certain loss of emotional control. In my case it was most obvious watching old movies. I found myself far more effected by tearjerkers than I had ever been b4 losing the that part of my brain located in the right ganglion. As a commercial litigator the loss of emotional control was a career ender. I now accept that it is also a dangerous impediment to continuing racing. It was certainly not the only factor in my decision to retire.

A surprising number of people were badly shaken by the incident. Some thought I was dead and Fran in particular was extremely upset in a way I had never observed so that was a bigger factor. Another issue was a growing sense that I had more or less gone as far as I could with the development of the Lump. It is now running reliably (the liPo issue now resolved) and is carbureting and breathing perfectly so that I can take full advantage of the lightweight crank and get on the gas earlier as well as matching revs on downshifts to deal with high engine braking pressures without missing shifts.

In short the Lump is now a well-developed and reliable race bike - possibly the only Prolink left still racing competitively anywhere.

I only managed practice day, qualifying and one race on the Lump b4 my trip to hospital but I hope you can see from Fran's pics that follow that it was going better than ever. I will also attempt to dispel some myths and misconceptions about the CBX in what follows.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”