CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I know this is not CBX related but Phil, if you are there do you have a link to the 2008 or thereabouts 690 Duke wiring diagram?

I'm re-fitting all the road gear to the Duke and having trouble with the lights. I have the headlight pivoted forward and have plugged the 6 pin connector from the switch block into the only place it fits and the indicators into the only plugs that they fit but so far the only thing that seems to be working when the ignition is switched on is the high beam indicator light on the instrument panel.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 am
I know this is not CBX related but Phil, if you are there do you have a link to the 2008 or thereabouts 690 Duke wiring diagram?
Sorry, no - I never worked on mine myself.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I now have the headlights/tail lights working and the rear brake has a pressure switch built into the brake hose banjo for the brake light so that is easy but I cannot find any sort of manual nor pressure switch for the front brake. Nor can I find the indicator for the blinkers. Of course, everything on modern bikes is miniaturised so it could be built in to the thumb switch itself.

At least with the CBX and other pre-digital historic machines they are immediately comprehensible. I've ordered a workshop manual for the KTM so hopefully that will explain all. Just how complicated a single cylinder machine can be should soon be revealed.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Now this is as rare as hen's teeth - a Barnett heavy duty clutch for the CBX.

The fibres and springs are new old stock from Louis and the steel plates are new from Barnett. They no longer do the full kit, thus the rarity. I can't make up my mind whether to install it b4 the races in a few weeks or after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

After ! If you had trouble finding neutral before, these fibers will make it
nearly impossible and make shifts difficult because they don't want to disengage.
I could be wrong but it's based on my past experience with Barnett fibers in other
race bikes. Race weekend is no time to find that out.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yes bobcat, I'm inclined to agree because there have already been a few changes (new brake pads in particular) that have yet to be tested and too many changes in one go always causes teething problems. But James Fisher reckons his Barnett clutch is all good so I'm keen to know. Perhaps after tho', as you say.

What a classic race in the Oz MotoGP today! After 3 years the circus is finally back at one of the best race tracks in the world. The top five riders finished within tenths after constant passes and brilliant riding. Rins finally pulls off a win for Suzuki in their swan song season and Marquez is back to top form. There will be huge celebrations in Cowes tonight.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

I'm watching this race on a local channel (NBC5) right now. I wish I didn't know
the outcome already but that's ok. I'm sure it will be plenty exciting !
Fantastic setting and weather.
Bob

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Awesome race !!!
Bob

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Great racetrack too. Unusual in being basically a counterclockwise left-hand layout.

Turn 1 at the end of the 900m straight is blind. All you can see is the ocean as it goes up a slight rise under the bridge and then quickly drops down into a very fast and bumpy right hander that you take flat out at 240 kph on the CBX. This is where the speed camera is located (yes, in the middle of a corner!) and the MotoGP bikes were going thru' at between 340-50 kph. There is a particular wallow inducing shallow bump on the outside so you have to ignore the braking markers and tip in early and keep it tight b4 you can see which way it goes. The steep left hander at Lukey Heights is similar but opposite and with a far more dramatic rise and then drop into hard downhill braking MG and then you are up onto the left-hand banking of T12 that brings you back onto the straight.

The corner b4 Lukey heights is called The Hayshed taken at about 220kph and it was when entering the Hayshed in 2018 that I levered the front of the Lump into the air with the crank end scraping too hard and crashed. It is no place to land face first and I felt slightly ill when the young Japanese rider had the front wash out there in the equally entertaining Moto 3 race.

The best thing about Phillip Island (apart from the spectacular setting) is that it is very fast and flows so well. It is ideal for developing an almost trance like rhythm. It is also very wide so there are lots of overtaking spots. It is no wonder that it ranks #1 in all the rider surveys.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

A brief update on the KTM which is all back together as a road bike again and ready for rego. I mean how hard can the electrics on a big single be?

Well, on modern bikes everything is in a modular controlled area network (a CAN bus) and not designed to be pulled apart into individual pieces. So, if you do pull it apart, make sure you make a map to find the way back again. Otherwise prepare to spend big bucks on buying the whole module which is what the bike shops do. It is nothing like restoring a machine of CBX or earlier analog vintage.

The key was finding the blinker relay that was enclosed in a small square rubber shrouded black (why does everything hidden away in hard to reach or see spots have to be black?) block bolted to the side of the very back of the head light nacelle. Looks nothing like the traditional blinker barrel (or head light nacelle come to that) but once identified everything else fell into place.

I may have to stuff some old fashioned steel wool into the Akropovic exhaust tho' because it is a bit loud.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Today I had the track to myself in order to bed in the new race compound brake pads and between showers there were enuf' sunny breaks to enable me to do this.

Changing to these dual compound carbon ceramic pads involves a bit of a procedure requiring the disks to be thoroughly cleaned with 150 emery paper and then repeated short light braking to establish the transfer film onto the disks. I will see how this has worked at tomorrow's ride day.

The bike seemed to be carburetting well over 2,500 rpm altho' it is still a bit fluffy if I let the revs drop too far and it doesn't want to idle unless I have it set above 1500 rpm. But up top it positively howls. In other words, a typical race bike.

Tomorrow I'll put some air in the front forks and weather permitting allow it to stretch it's legs after over 8 months hibernating under a sheet.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:59 am
Tomorrow I'll put some air in the front forks and weather permitting allow it to stretch it's legs after over 8 months hibernating under a sheet.
Exciting!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Not so exciting unfortunately. Track day dawned sunny here on the coast but by the time we reached the track, a pleasant 25 minute rural drive from home, the skies were a dark bruised colour and it was raining.

Not to worry, the track is grippy and there was plenty of time. Sure enuf' by the time of the first session it was drying but there were still damp patches and puddles to avoid. The Lump started first pop with no choke so that is always a plus. I did a few fairly tentative laps but the front brake lever seemed to have too much play. I tried pumping it but it didn't seem to make much difference. After that every time I went out it started raining and as this was just a shake down on slicks I was not going to take any risks. By this time the lever was coming all the way back to the bar and it was hard to pull up at all. Obviously a problem had developed with the new brakes since the day b4.

The consensus was air in the system but it did not pump up and had been fine the day b4. I wasn't so sure. Anyhow to get at the bleed nipple on the master cylinder I needed to remove the front fairing and I thought I may as well scoot back home and do it in the comfort of my own workshop as the weather was continuing to deteriorate. And yes, as soon as I put a hose on the nipple a spurt of air came out of the Brembo mc and it was quickly fixed. But I learnt something. If any trapped air in the lines rises into the mc then no amount of pumping will suffice to firm up the brakes as opposed to air trapped in the calipers for example.

The bike is now ready to race after changing the oil, re-charging the batteries and a final check over. Broadford is a 6 hour drive from here and we have eschewed the usual convivial camping at the track and booked a nearby farm stay for some luxury. Hopefully, the weather gods will be kind because the hills north of Melbourne have been subject to a lot of flooding from the third La Nina weather pattern in 3 years. I won't be taking wets, so fingers crossed...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:39 am
If any trapped air in the lines rises into the mc then no amount of pumping will suffice to firm up the brakes as opposed to air trapped in the calipers for example.
That makes a ton of sense. NOTED for future forgetting right when it's important to me. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:48 pm
Warwick Biggs wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:39 am
If any trapped air in the lines rises into the mc then no amount of pumping will suffice to firm up the brakes as opposed to air trapped in the calipers for example.
That makes a ton of sense. NOTED for future forgetting right when it's important to me. :lol:

Note for those who don't have a Brembo MC with a bleed nipple, use the banjo bolt
as a bleed valve. Messy but necessary.
Bob

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”