CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

and another...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

If you look closely at the last pic you might notice I am being shadowed by a competitor on an identical line but by the end of the day I could barely stand, I was totally stuffed and am being propped up by the bikes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here you can see one of the problems with the exhaust.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Some of the competition. Simon Cook on his TRex CB1100R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

If you look closely at Simon's bike you will see that it has a quick shifter. You won't see the slipper clutch or the unobtainium construction of what is a replica of a CB1100R. The original had about 90 hp. This bike has over 180 hp and weighs less than my NC30 at under 160 kg. I can't match it on the Lump but by the same token I didn't get lapped like some competitors. But had the race been a few laps longer we might have suffered that indignity.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

another photographer but the same ground clearance issue.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here you can see the auxiliary return spring on the carbs. Thanks to Bill Hargraves and his Thunderbird spares kit. He and his swinger (his wife) drove over 6,000 klms from Perth to Mount Gambier for the Classic. A more elegant attachment is necessary.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great pics, Rick.
Time for a video.

160 kg and 180 hp out of an R? Wow!

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Steve, Rex Wolfenden ran Honda's race team for years and his brother Clive is a toolmaker. Here is an old review of one of Rex's earlier TRex's that the CBX has attempted to race against in the past and I have earlier posted pics here of that encounter. You can see the basic specs here:-

https://bikereview.com.au/retro-racer-t ... ris-honda/

Since then hp has gone up and weight down. How about titanium cases and Nikasil bores that are pretty well de rigeur now? Rex is certainly not the only one making hot motors for classic racers either in Oz or overseas. Just google Molnar Manx and check out the price for a competitive G50 or 350 Norton. An ordinary half decent CB72 will set you back well over $100K. With the Period 5 bikes like the CB1100R's and Katanas you can specify the level of tune you want when you order. The lowest level might last 25 hours; the highest may last an hour b4 requiring stripping down and re-building. Just like dragsters.

When the English team came out for the International Challenge (for the air cooled superbikes) at the Island Classic they brought 7 spare FJ race motors for each team member and they went thru' them all. This is the level of Classic racing in Oz and some other jurisdictions and you need serious money or commercial sponsorship to compete at the top level where you are also competing against professional GP and Superbike riders.

The CBX gets me onto the same grid for a hell of a lot less moola and I can still have fun with the Ducatis, Moto Guzzis and other less speccy race bikes. And if I'm lucky enuf' to fluke a good grid position I reckon the CBX is very good at defending it's lines and not so easy to get around, altho' I know a few racers who will dispute that opinion!

Back in the workshop I have stripped the bike and its now up on the stand about to have the rear shock pulled out to be lengthened. Carbs are drained, exhaust reconfigured (I don't need the muffler if there is nothing in it) so its now very short ending under my footpeg and hammered up to the max. I may need new headers too because they were scraping too. We'll see. The fiddling has begun...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks for the report and all the cool photos. Now that you've been home for a bit, how's your hand feeling?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

My hand remans stiff and sore thanks Phil. It was god enuf' to manage back to back sessions but changing down under brakes was not the smooth, mindless muscle memory of old. To be absolutely honest, that muscle memory was largely obliterated by the stroke in '14 and even putting on my trousers remains a conscious focused activity. The damage to my brain was confined to the basal ganglia that controls motor functions and I have re-learned everything since then but the hand operation has damaged the muscles themselves and exacerbated age related arthritis. Its' boring old fella stuff.

Here are some more CBX pics with watermarks removed.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Back in the workshop I have hoisted up the back end and removed the shorter dogbone extension replacing it with the longer one in order to jack up the bike and recover ground clearance. There is a limit to this process in how the chain runs and the effect on squat exiting corners under power but there are always trade offs in racing and your tool has to be generally fit for purpose overall.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Discussion with Bito san and Roly san have raised the possibility that the engine tendency to run on under full throttle could be a symptom of running lean.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

And I might need to try YY7 needles in place of YY8's. One way of testing is to place 0.5mm washers under the circlips and see how this affects throttle response but I need a dyno. I might have to learn how to use one myself.

Here is a good pic of the ground clearance problem and my awkward attempts to move my weight to the inside. Note also that I'm not looking where I want to go. What you can't see is the guy I was chasing and I was working out whether I had the speed to pass under power on corner exit. I did.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

You can see the problem from another angle.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”