Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Total Number of CBXes Made

Post by cbxmel »

Hi Tom my old friend,

You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and I thought knew a fair bit about cbx's. When you coming over to visit us again?
cheers Mel :text-thankyouyellow:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

tombatt wrote: Fast-forward and 53 becomes 1978. Therefore, that date is 12th September 1978. The number 41 below indicates that yours is one of no fewer than 40 other engines produced that day, although average daily production was well over 100 at that time. If the other crankcase half has the same numbers, it indicates that it is the original combination that left the factory. Cheers…Tom
PS Cancel that appointment and save the money. There is no cure.
'Cor Blimey'! As my good friend Mel from the Old Albion, would say ...

And Tom, with all respect, I will keep my appointment today. You never know, and in any case, it is peanuts compared to keeping a CBX on the road :o

Best, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

tombatt wrote: If the other crankcase half has the same numbers, it indicates that it is the original combination that left the factory. Cheers…Tom
Where about are the 'other crankcase' numbers?
Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Ooops, apologies, I must be going blind ...
DSC02067 (1).jpg
Best, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Since it may be interesting to have people check on differences between Japanese and US 1980 CBX's, the only thing which I have found consistent is the use of the bolt/nut on the Marysville bikes like all later models, whereas the Japanese models use the double nut lower engine mounting like the 1979 bikes, just below the footpegs... Still haven't heard of an original bike which contradicts that.

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

That's pretty cool Jan - I just checked my (Japanese) '80 and it does indeed have the two-nut lower mounting bolt.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Tom asked me about the numbers on my bike, so I thought I'd post them here, for posterity. It would appear that I have one of the very earliest 80 bikes, from Japan!

My VIN: SC032000049

Engine#: SC03E2000078

Unfortunately I only see a single photo with the engine case stampings before I blasted and painted them into oblivion. It is barely legible in this link, which I will not embed as it is the full-size image, but click it so see. It appears that the last lower digit is the same, perhaps #20?

http://noblehops.smugmug.com/Motorcycle ... 5Ym-X3.jpg

Crop:

Tom, I hope that's interesting to you, and I'd be curious what you make of it.

Best,

Nils
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Blowing it up as far as possible yet still readable, it looks like your numbers are 54 9 20 and the bottom number looks to be 24 - That would mean you have the 24th engine off the assembly line on the 20th of September, 1979 . . . . the good news is . . . . that was a Thursday :dance:

Don

tombatt
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by tombatt »

Tom, I hope that's interesting to you, and I'd be curious what you make of it.
Best, Nils[/quote]

Nils,
I make those numbers to be 54-5-29/20 which is 29th May 1979. With your engine number #78, this says to me your engine was built on day 1 of "A" model production. Engine production that is, but I'm guessing your vin date will be 6/79.
Don has come up with a totally different date, but I'm unable to enhance the photo, so the above is the best I can come up with until more people contribute "A" model information. What little I have collected on the same day, suggests the bottom number is just a random count, and not the sequential number built that day. I was hoping that to be the case so you could then avoid a bike built first thing on Monday morning. Looks like Honda were a jump ahead!
Cheers...TomBatt

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

tombatt wrote:
I make those numbers to be 54-5-29/20 which is 29th May 1979. With your engine number #78, this says to me your engine was built on day 1 of "A" model production. Engine production that is, but I'm guessing your vin date will be 6/79.
Don has come up with a totally different date, but I'm unable to enhance the photo, so the above is the best I can come up with until more people contribute "A" model information. What little I have collected on the same day, suggests the bottom number is just a random count, and not the sequential number built that day. I was hoping that to be the case so you could then avoid a bike built first thing on Monday morning. Looks like Honda were a jump ahead!
Cheers...TomBatt

As Don usually finds things to disagree upon with me, this time, I will disagree with him ;-) and side with Tom: Even without "blowing up", I read 54-5-29. May 1980 is much more likely a production month for that bike than September for two reasons: 1. The low (early) VIN number and 2. in September of 1979, CBXes were already produced in Ohio.
The only lower VIN number for a 1980 Japanese-made CBX I have on record is SC03-20 00040. In 2008, that bike was located in New Jersey, but may be in Australia now.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Evidently I need a bigger computer screen . . . . or younger eyes :sad-roulette:

Don

cbxpearl

Post by cbxpearl »

anyone know what the serial for last cbx made ?? or last reported ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxpearl wrote:anyone know what the serial for last cbx made ?? or last reported ?

1982 Model , serial number ...2864. Last known to be located in Berlin, Germany.

If you have a later number, let us know!

cbxpearl

Post by cbxpearl »

not later.... number is CC402740

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxpearl wrote:not later.... number is CC402740