What did you do to your bike today?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What did you do to your bike today?

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote:motorcycle show! I had my heart set on a new Ducati Monster 1200s :D but a couple of BMWs smiled at me, a inline 4 S1000R and a boxer the R1200GS :shock: ...now I'm totally confused :? and test ride season is still a 3-4 months away :(
Huh.... You walk out of that show on a positive note ( :-) ), while I walked out of the show on a negative.( :shock: :hand: )
I was gobsmacked that people are willing to spend $31,000 CDN for a Can-Am side by side UTV offroad play thing.

On a better note, Did you find the Vintage guy's? And, if so, whose 6 into 6 pipes were those on the Red CBX? :think:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

it's only a bike show nothing to be negative about...I came to see the newest rides and was pleasantly surprised at my options... mx demo riders and their jumps/flips were great as was the trials rider and the sport bike stunt guy...$8 for a beer was a bit much...

I believe the red cbx had pipemasters but I'm not 100% sure, I've met and ridden with the former owner a few times I'll ask him next time I see him at garage night...if I recall he sold the Z to it's present owner for $8K, it's in great condition a steal at that price...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Heading off on an trip around Tasmania shortly with Captain (from the 1100 site) who is coming across from NZ and another mutual friend who is riding across from Perth, Western Australia on a BMW water bottle R1200RS, so it was definintely time to give 'Cybil', my trusty '78 some serious lovin'.

Installed New brake pads front and rear, brakes bled, cleaned, lubed and adjusted chain, set tyre pressures, checked alternator brushes for wear, looked good still (but will be taking a spare set anyway) and oil change and filter, and dropped and cleaned the pan - nothing alien in there at all :)

Now just got to set valve clearances and balance carbs, check & tweak of all visible nuts and bolts, final clean and detail and we are good to go! Hopefully we'll be doing approx. 4,000 trouble free miles on some of the best motorcycling roads on the planet!

Cheers...Tony

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Have a great trip Tony and give my best to Brent !!
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Tony, Tasmania looks like a great place to ride. I just googled it and it looks like i need to add it to my bucket list. Have a great and safe trip.

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

Tony,

Be on the lookout for the devils. Carnivorous. Marsupial. I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark road.

Truth is, I'm envious. Enjoy what I'm sure will be a great trip.
6ix-78-9

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

sasquash wrote:Minus 7 Celsius. Gusts make a wind chill reading of minus 17. So I add another layer and head out to deliver my 1979 aXe to the ‘Century of Motorcycles’ alley at the Motorcycle Supershow.

The 5th layer helps. I stay off the highways and keep my speed to a max of 80 km/hr but it is still a very cold ride. 30 km takes 45 minutes. I yearn for a snowmobile suit but this is not the kind of travel I ever intend to do again.

Which I then realize is totally wrong. I need to ride the bike back home on Sunday. Forecast is for minus 10.
How was the ride home?

How was the show? I was tempted to go just for this "Century of Motorcycles" display - it sounds awesome.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Have a great trip and take some pics for us to see.

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

Syscrush wrote: How was the ride home?

How was the show? I was tempted to go just for this "Century of Motorcycles" display - it sounds awesome.
Phil,

The show was huge with lots of new bikes on display and with some of the manufacturers present even though it was not billed as a manufacturer's show.

However, for me, the new bikes are interesting but don't provide the same draw as the older set. I spent more time in the 'Century of Motorcycles' hall where a lot of British twins, Japanese 4-pods, a few single cylinder H-Ds and some very exotic land speed bikes lived. Oh yes, and a couple of CBXs. :lol:

The ride home was brutal; deep cold jarring all sense of confidence and smoothness from my riding abilities.

So I thought I'd give everyone my tips on riding in cold weather. Here's the top 5.

#5. get winter tires

#4. own better gear – socks with the toes cut off are not a substitute for gauntlets

#3. project a heroic, indomitable spirit to those in cars

#2. leave the ice for your drinks

and finally,

#1. don’t do it (ever again)

peter
6ix-78-9

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I rode for a winter in Toronto on an SV650. It worked out OK but I wouldn't do it again. The keys to making it work were:

3. Heated vest & gloves.

2. Soft Supermoto tires (Maxxis Presa - medium compound rear and rain compound front).

1. Willingness to wreck.

I still have (and use) the vest & gloves, but the tires aren't available in CBX sizes, and I'm 100% out of #1 above. :D
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

sasquash
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sasquash »

Syscrush wrote:I rode for a winter in Toronto on an SV650. It worked out OK but I wouldn't do it again. The keys to making it work were:

3. Heated vest & gloves.

2. Soft Supermoto tires (Maxxis Presa - medium compound rear and rain compound front).

1. Willingness to wreck.

I still have (and use) the vest & gloves, but the tires aren't available in CBX sizes, and I'm 100% out of #1 above. :D
Willingness to wreck. Now that's hardcore and demented. Or maybe better expressed as hardcore demented. 8)

When riders talk about how fast one bike is versus another or how they spent tons of money on parts to to squeeze out a couple of more horsepower, it seems that they forget the biggest components of going fast - skill and courage (willingness to set aside the possibility of wrecking).

Me, I'm with you - 100% out of it.
6ix-78-9

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Thanks to all for your best wishes for a fun, successful and safe trip. Given Captain's skills in fettlin', it is indeed an honour to have him share this journey with me. It has been on my bucket list for some time and to share it with Brent, who I went to High School with too many decades ago is such a blast. Of course I want to get Cybil into the best shape possible so she does not let the team down during the trip. So today, despite it being 37 degrees C (and much hotter in my shed), I bit the bullet and checked and adjusted the valve clearances, first time since I first lit the wick on her back in 2008, and about 10,000 kms ago. I had originally set them to the wider end of the range and although some had got a bit larger, was able to set 23 of the 24 valves to 0.13 mm (.005") and 1x inlet to 0.10 mm (.004"). Carb synch next, then spit and polish and we are ready to roll.

Cheers..Tony

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Looking forward to some on-the-road reports of your long trip.
Just a hunch but i am guessing part of this journey will be spent above the speed limit? haha.
Have fun, Tony.

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Tassie is great. Make sure you stop at Bicheno (I think that's how it's spelt) on east coast. They have a nice little motorcycle museum and the place is beautiful.
Enjoy!
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I did have my 2nd tank fender, tail cowl and fender painted black this past summer but I found a flaw in the cowl that stood out once I wet sanded the clear coat...black is a unforgiving...

I needed to repaint the cowl and I thought why am I painting it black(because that was what I originally ordered back in 78 when I ordered from the dealer, but not available in N.A.) ?...so I decided to go with a non CBX colour, keeping the black center stripe and pinstripes I'm going with a medium blue for the remainder....

today I sanded back the tank, fender and cowl, sanding the cowl removed the flaw that triggered the repaint...and I began taping off the center stripes, tedious trying to get those straight...I anticipate applying the decals is going to be stressful...

I took off the oem cowl so better to compare with the masking on the 2nd cowl...looking at the rear frame seat area without cowl and seat I see that if I were so inclined it would be a relatively simple matter to convert it to shortened solo/cafe ride without any permanent alterations to the original frame...a project for next winter! :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”