Earplugs

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Earplugs

Post by Houtman »

For many years I rode without any earplugs but when my hearing started to deteriate I tried many different earplugs.
After reading the earplugs comparison test in the Motorcycle Consumer News (excellent magazine!) I bought some
Howard Leight Max ones to try.I have been very happy with these ,easier to use and a better nnr of 33.I bought my first
set at CVS at $5 for 10 pair but you can get them at Amazon for $22 for 200 pair.Protect your hearing!

oilheadron

Re: Earplugs

Post by oilheadron »

Been riding with earplugs for almost 20 years. When you get used to them you don't want to ride anywhere without them.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

oilheadron wrote:Been riding with earplugs for almost 20 years. When you get used to them you don't want to ride anywhere without them.
I've been using the foam ear plugs for 10-15 years as well. Couldn't get my darling bride to try them, until some of the other riders on the C2C convinced her to give 'em a try out west. After a long day at 80+, she now won't ride without them.

I buy a box of 200 pair at the local hardware store, keep a hand-full in each tank bag, and another hand-full in the camper. If you put them in your pocket before laundry day, they come out nice and clean, but you can only do that once before they will no longer roll up nicely for insertion. :roll:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

My wife didn't use earplugs for the longest time, because she never found any that fit and didn't bother her (she has small ears). Then she had that guy who is at bike events make her a custom fit set. (I think it was at Mid Ohio several years ago.) She swears by them. They were pricey, but I make up for it by wearing cheap ones that are usually free from somewhere.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am the oppposite. I don't like wearing earplugs when riding.
I worked for 30 years in a paper mill where hearing protection is required so i got to try at least 5 different models including the custom made ones. In 37 years of riding i have tried them all and have never felt comfortable. The muted noise levels of the engine noise, mechanical noises from the bike and surrounding cars spook me a little.
Besides, the howl of the CBX at 8,000 rpm should be served straight up.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:I am the oppposite. I don't like wearing earplugs when riding. The muted noise levels of the engine noise, mechanical noises from the bike and surrounding cars spook me a little. Besides, the howl of the CBX at 8,000 rpm should be served straight up.
I'm the same as you - It scares me a little not to hear everything . . . . of course, I may not have any choice before too long ;)

I'm even getting the same way with sunglasses . . . . more comfortable NOT wearing them when I ride or drive

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote:
I'm even getting the same way with sunglasses . . . . more comfortable NOT wearing them when I ride or drive

Don
There I am with you, Don. I find it more difficult seeing when it is dark and riding with sunglasses or even the integral sunvisor down in the Schuberth helmet bothers me. I always feel that I don't see as well.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

After 45 years of riding my ears have taken a beating.

I developed tinnitus years ago. When I started flight nursing I was required to have a yearly hearing test. My loss is big time in the 4,000hz rage..this from motorcycles, weapons fire and diving....I suspect most from motorcycling though.

I have custom fitted hearing protection, foam ear plugs and so on but the best fit, best noise reduction and comfort come from the Hearos silicone ear plugs, they are orange in color and you can get them near anywhere. I find the child size fit best.....

At first I really hated the muted sound of my engine but I have adapted by reading the vibrations.

I really really want to avoid wearing hearing aids. They are friggin expensive and would drive me nuts with the background noise.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

I know how you feel about your hearing,at 61 I lost quite a bit of my hearing already,I think the wind noise on riding my bikes and many rock concert did the damage.I am a big Rollings Stones fan,have seen them at least 15 times and probably pay the price now as I never wore plugs at a concert.What really helps is a simple race collar frome EVS,cheap and simple .In the winter (thats tha only time I use it ) it really keeps the cold out and the noise reduction is remarkable,try it you will not regret it.

michelsmith
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by michelsmith »

Think it's more dangerous to ride without, due to the fatigue after prolonged exposure to noise. A tired rider is a poor rider.

Can't remember the source now, but there's a test in a magazine somewhere that proved that there is _no_ helmet available that provides sufficient noise protection in itself at 40mph pluss. Ear plugs relieves the rider of the discomfort of the constant noise. It also protects the ear from the long term damage associated with that exposure! This is no little concern, hearing damages are very serious illnesses. The numbers of people totally disabled by hearing damage is huge.

I do a bit of sound engineering, using a sound pressure level meter to keep things in the safe area. Can usually guess the dB level fairly accurate now. Got a good idea of what sort of pressure 90 deciBels are, the safe level limit for 8 hours of exposure to sound. .. and 95db for 4 hours, 100db for 2 hours, and so on. An unsilenced motorcycle is about 110dB(according to the litterature, haven't tried!), which is damaging after 30 minutes of daily exposure!

Even with plugs, those 90 dB's can easily be pushed on the motorbike. Particullarly if the speed is high, headwind is strong or the helmet/head gaps makes a lot of turbulence. This varies a lot with the helmet/rider fit.

The most prominent noise comes from the gaps between the neck and the helmet, probably especially so for those gaps making a tube of air going up into the helmet. Try covering different spots on the base of the helmet with one of your hands while riding. The noise will almost disappear when you find the points of turbulence.

Had some success patching these spots with duct tape. :) Would probably work better with a flexible material like neoprene. There's neck warmer tubes available that totally fills the gap around the bottom liner of the helmet. Anyone got any experiences with these regarding noise?

Just have to say this as an audio geek: Take care of your ears! All hearing damage is accumulative and nonreversible.
If somebody needs a Remus or Sebring exhaust: http://www.motorcycle-exhaust-shop24.com

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What?

:-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Can you hear me now??!!!! [I 'learned' to start wearing plugs 10 years ago. Wish I would have 'listened' 40 years ago.]
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:
Don wrote:

Don
There I am with you, Don. I find it more difficult seeing when it is dark and riding with sunglasses or even the integral sunvisor down in the Schuberth helmet bothers me. I always feel that I don't see as well.
FWIW, I think I've discovered the reason for this - Cataracts

Now that mine have been removed, the world is about 5X brighter and anytime spent outdoors in bright sun these days, sunglasses are a MUST

Don

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Hi ya Don.
I kept telling you that i was good-looking, now with the surgery it can finally be confirmed.

Return to “RIDER GEAR: Boots, Gloves, Helmets, Jackets, Leathers, Rainsuits, Textile Suits”